First SE Dreads...

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
NearFantastica

First SE Dreads...

Post by NearFantastica » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Hey, I've been spending alot of time "practicing" I guess you would say. The first few dreads I came up with, well, let's just say that they weren't too good lol. It probably didn't help that I was using silky hair and was having a hell of a time backcombing it. I got some different hair, and came up with these. I used a pot of water with a lid to steam them. So far I've tried the straightener/damp cloth, pouring boiling water over them, dipping them in boiling water but the steam from the pot thing seems to work better. I can't seem to get them smoother, I think maybe the steam was too hot? The fuzzies seem a little crunchy. I would eventually like to get them softer with less fuzzies, but I just can't seem to do it! They were all velcro-y when I pulled them out of the bag, so does that mean they've melted a little? How do I not get that effect lol. The ends are also not the greatest, one of them for sure hasn't been sealed properly. They are also a little more wimpy than I was wanting, would a braid sealer help, if I wanted the ends a little thicker? *sigh* I'm also having trouble trying to figure out a good size, they either come out too thick or too thin. I need some constructive criticism. Am I on the right track because these don't seem all that good to me lol. Be nice to me haha, thanks in advance! PS: Sorry if the pictures are huge, I have no idea what I'm doing with photobucket.

...I like to pretend that I'm a rockstar while driving o.O

IKickShins

Re: First SE Dreads...

Post by IKickShins » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:39 am

It's normal to have a little bit of flyaways; a lot of the time they're just not noticeable in pictures because they;re so tiny that they don't show up.

As far as size goes, make sure you're using the same amount of hair for each dread. If you start out with the same amount of hair, you should be able to get them roughly the same size each time.

Overall I think they look pretty good, and all you really need is a little practice to get more consistent.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

NearFantastica

Post by NearFantastica » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:15 am

Yeah, I will keep on trying :) I want so badly for these to turn out and have been experimenting quite alot lol. However, I'm pretty realistic, the first ones won't be my best but I'm still hoping to try and wear them if I can get them almost right. Next pack of hair I will make sure is divided equally, I was kind of doing an experimental thing trying to figure out a size I would like. I was reading about people who can take less hair and make it look like more but I can't seem to do that yet, but I don't want to put *too* much weight on my head so I think I should aim for thinner dreads until I get the hang of things. I guess I'm going to just have to cut them to a manageable length instead of trying to backcomb them shorter for now.

Thanks for the advice!

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Keep in mind that more thinner dreads actually weighs more than less thicker dreads (most of the time, anyway)!

The flyaways can be minimized by your twisting technique while sealing, kind of using your thumb to get them inside. It all gets better with practice!!

NearFantastica

Post by NearFantastica » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks Jynx :) It's been awhile, and I've made... hmmm... probably around 24-ish harlequins and 30-ish singles and looking at this pic, they all look much better than these pictures haha (or so I think!!). Definitely using your thumbs to smooth things down helps alot, and just general manipulating the hairs to make them not so pokey. I found that shuffling really helped too. I've been getting some ok looking ends and I made a super good one once the other day and I did it by accident by trying something different but after I did it I couldn't do it again! Hate when that happens lol. Any tips for the ends? I've been using a steamer and a straightener for the ends.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Are you using a gas flame stove? If you are, that will explain the crunchies, there is too much heat. Use an electric kettle instead and leave the lid ajar slightly.

This chart should also help you with hair splitting and final result :)
http://angeleyezxtc.deviantart.com/gall ... 4#/d2x49n2

NearFantastica

Post by NearFantastica » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:29 am

Yes, the ones pictures I did use a gas flame stove. I had kind of wondered if it was too much heat lol now I know for sure! The new ones I have, I've made with a store bought steamer. I should post those pics for you guys to see how I'm doing :)

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Ooh yet post i pic of the ones u have recently made :) I like reading other peoples posts on their "first dreads" coz I'm still a newbie (and have been for over a year - I took a very long break lol)

NearFantastica

Post by NearFantastica » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:20 pm

emmyk89 wrote:Ooh yet post i pic of the ones u have recently made :) I like reading other peoples posts on their "first dreads" coz I'm still a newbie (and have been for over a year - I took a very long break lol)
I posted my first set in another thread on here (I think it may be underneath this post, the cherry berry dreads), they look much better haha :)

The-Halloween-Master

Post by The-Halloween-Master » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 pm

I think they look good for your first try :)

Return to “Hair Critique”