Incorrectly done dread advice much needed.

Zombee

Incorrectly done dread advice much needed.

Post by Zombee » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:49 am

My friend got his dreads done by someone who seemed to not care how they turned out... So i'm trying to fix them the best i can so they come out decent. Any advice would be much appreciated.
The roots to half way down the hair shaft is loose hair. some pieces have a small dreaded end or a little dreaded mid shaft, but loose roots and loose ends.... there is tons of loose hairs everywhere. i've tried using the crochet hook to pull them in but some just ends up loose again.
I was wondering if there is a way to dread the loose pieces in and basically to fix the loose roots.
also his hair is oily but his scalp is super dry to the point where he has flakes. is there a certain shampoo he can use for this?
Thanks for reading!
<3

Kajablomst.

Re: Incorrectly done dread advice much needed.

Post by Kajablomst. » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:32 pm

I would really just start them over, comb them out, start a new set. It might be easier then trying to fix them, and i'm pretty sure the results will be better.. :) Not the answer you want to hear, but that's what I would do. I had to do that with my own, and they're so much better now.

Celestial-Fox

Post by Celestial-Fox » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:03 pm

It doesn't seem like having loose hairs or a not-quite-fully tangled lock shaft would be detrimental to the locking process. It just takes time for loose hairs to suck back in and roots to lock up. Even still, straight-textured hair can stil have up to 2.5+ inches of unlocked root at all times, even past maturation.

It's hard to tell without a photo, though.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:51 pm

I would tend to agree with Kajablomst. I've had a few customers whose 'dreads' were so far from properly done that it was esier and more effective just to get them out and start again.

Large sections of hair that are loose to begin with will become warped and loopy bits as it starts to lock up and compact, and when there is more loose hair than dreadlock, it won't mature properly anyway.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:56 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:I would tend to agree with Kajablomst. I've had a few customers whose 'dreads' were so far from properly done that it was esier and more effective just to get them out and start again.

Large sections of hair that are loose to begin with will become warped and loopy bits as it starts to lock up and compact, and when there is more loose hair than dreadlock, it won't mature properly anyway.

^^ This.
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Zombee

Post by Zombee » Sat May 05, 2012 12:29 am

thank you everyone! i have started some over, some i cant do anything. :/ but thank you for your answers!
<3

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”