Help with Alopecia

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Cinnamon

Help with Alopecia

Post by Cinnamon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:30 pm

I've recently found out that a family friend of mine is suffering with alopecia. Currently she has a bald patch about 5cm wide behind her ear which doctors have said is likely to become worse fairly rapidly. Her family know I'm into hair and have asked if I know of any kind of extension pieces that might help her, but it's really not my area. I'm sure extensions would only put more pressure on her existing hair and I don't think a wig would be suitable... Does anyone here have any advice or experience? Treatments or cover-up suggestions?
Id rather be looked over, than overlooked.

NirvanaMarie

Re: Help with Alopecia

Post by NirvanaMarie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:22 pm

If it's a piece on the top she could use a top piece. That way her own natural hair can blend with it. Otherwise, wigs are going to be the way to go. I know for some people there can be a lot of stigma around wigs, but they don't have to be a scary thing. There are tons of people who wear wigs! People with and without conditions. I have several that I wear out personally, celebrities rock them.

Cinnamon

Post by Cinnamon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:30 pm

The patch is fairly low down near the back of her head... I'm reluctantly thinking that a wig might be the only option for her when it worsens, but she's only 13 and I just can't imagine how that would work for her at school. I dread to think how some of the kids would react if it slipped or something :? She's still at the stage where she's trying to fit in with everyone, and doesnt want to be a little bit different...
Id rather be looked over, than overlooked.

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:57 pm

Aww poor little thing!

A wig is totally the way to go, and it can be REALLY fun. There are soooo many options. She can get something very, very natural and no one will ever know the difference. They can be secured pretty sturdily, too! Does she like any of your crazy weird hair at all? If so, you can help warm her up to the idea by showing her all the different colors and styles she can choose from. That would have been the thing to win me over as a kid, if I'd ever needed to!

ETA: I think that right at that stage where everyone is trying so desperately to 'fit in' is exactly the time for someone older and super cool to come along and tell you how much more FUN it is to be a little different. :P
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:45 pm

You can get them pretty secure. I've gone dancing, done cartwheels, whatever with wigs on before. It is a tough age to go through something that big. Reassurance is key. Wigs can be super cool, and nowadays hair loss is no big deal. If she has a solid amount of hair at the top, she could also try a 3/4 piece. I had one for my wedding, and a lot of pageant girls wear pieces.

My "natural" hair is above my shoulders, but this is with my 3/4 piece

But wigs are also great, this is the Aba that we carry

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”