The exercise thread.

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Bomber

Re: The exercise thread.

Post by Bomber » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:54 pm

I need to find some other form of exercise that I don't find painfully dull or like torture to do.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:42 pm

LizSherman wrote:Right, Callinetics... how much weight am I really likely to gain?
I'm trying to lose about 2 stone at the moment, and maaaaany inches, I'm just worried if I see the number on the scales rising I'll spaz out!
You're better off ignoring the scales & investing in a tape measure instead.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Yeah, and be prepared to lose lots of inches. Even from your neck! :lol:
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:04 am

I haven't lost any. Maybe half an inch from my arse.

I do have a question, I'm going to assume only Grace can answer it, but here goes: My waist has gained about half an inch. My eating habits haven't changed & the half inch is only my waist. The only thing I can think of is the stomach exercise & the side leany one have done it.

I'm not bothered, my stomach is as flat as it's always been. I was puzzled more than anything, failing that I'm going to blame my mirena. 'But if it was that surely it would have happened months ago??
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:44 pm

Did Zumba yesterday and managed to get all the way through without stopping.
Did dancercise today, and did some zumba steps from yesterday. Did some yoga, then some major floor scrubbage.

I have lost 2 inches from my waist in as many weeks. My arse is still huge though.
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 pm

I've been doing the usual weights and running. Haven't done much callanetics recently as we have a corner sofa now and it's a faff to move everything. :roll:

Raetron

Post by Raetron » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:46 pm

I have recently discovered my fave exercise ever.... hula hooping! ^_^ really good for core and cardio and weight loss (not so good for me...am a sz 8 so now once again people think I have an eating disorder. Whoopee! :( )

I know that probably doesn't help on the low impact if you're doing it around your waist (although after practice you don't seem to move at all) but you can do it all over your body, plus its ridiculous and funny too :)

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:44 am

DreadstarMonstar wrote:I do have a question, I'm going to assume only Grace can answer it, but here goes: My waist has gained about half an inch. My eating habits haven't changed & the half inch is only my waist. The only thing I can think of is the stomach exercise & the side leany one have done it.
To gain inches, particularly at the waist, is unusual. It can only mean you are not quite doing them entirely correctly, I'm afraid. It sounds to me like you are moving too much. The movements are tiny, barely noticable, and the stomach muscles should not be popping up at all. The rest of the body should be entirely relaxed so only come up as much as you can while remaining unstrained anywhere else. The side-bend waist stretches can only pull the waist in; I can't see any way it would do otherwise.

Basically, Callanetics done properly will get the deep muscle layers that give you a flat stomach. Most stomach exercises, such as sit-ups, are good for getting the top layers of muscle because they involve a lot of movement. I know you guys will hate me for saying this, but it's actually really easy to create visible abs by focusing on active exercises like sit-ups and crunches. They create strong muscles on the top layer, and this can add inches rather than take them away. But for a flat tight muscle, you need tiny, pulse-like movements such as Callanetics. They pull in the muscles beneath those visible abs and give a corset effect which will stay, as opposed to a six-pack that disappears when you slow down on the exercise for any significant time.

I reckon you are probably pushing yourself too hard Sarah, either to match the level on the tape or to feel you are progressing. Try them focusing on the relaxation of the rest of the rest of the body and the topical work on the target areas, rather than the extent you can bend/extend. I do wish I was closer so I could actually see where you're at; it would be so much easier to give you tips in person.

I have a Callanetics move you may not be aware of that works wonders for the stomach. Sit on the floor, feet flat and knees bent, arms relaxed at your sides. Curl up the pelvis and slowly roll down until your lower back reaches the floor and your stomach muscles come into play. The rest of your body should be entirely relaxed, so only go as far down as you can. Take a deep breath in. Float your arms up above your head as you exhale, float them down by your sides as you inhale. Repeat 10 times. It's harder than it sounds and it really works.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:59 am

Just did my second hour of callanetics. Found it alot harder today that the other day, but I did it first thing in the morning and the other day I did it at night after yoga, so I'm guessing that'll make a difference.

Did an hour of burlesque teaching yesterday, cant say its a huge work out, but its some, and its an hour round walk to get to the studio.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:46 am

Everyone has gone quiet here, is everyone still working hard? I know I have been, at literally every chance I get. I've done quite a few hours of aerobics this week despite being very busy at work and I'm feeling good for it. Operation Bikini Body is going damn well, if I do say so myself.

I have all but eradicated my squishy hips and given myself a fairy ripped abdomen. I still have some work to do on my inner thighs and underarms but the rest of it is all pretty damn hard at this point. I just did an hour of aerobics and have some 'tics planned this evening.

It's not perfect and, at my age, i'm happy to accept that it will never be again. But I can honestly say I would be happy to wear the bikini as I look today, which is basically what I was aiming for. Result.

Gracey xx

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Well done Gracey, will be a while before I can wear a bikini :lol:

I'm still mainly doing running/biking/weights.

When it gets colder and sucks to work out outdoors, I'll be joining the gym and starting on using weights for my whole body. Really looking forward to it :D

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:08 am

Lost three inches off my waist now :D
Did zumba last week, managed to get all the way through working arms AND legs.
Swimming this morning, managed about 30 lengths.

Hopefully starting a yoga class in a couple weeks.
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Etsy | Facebook

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks Grace. I'm gonna measure my waist again, I have a feeling it may have been PM bloat. I am unaware of that move, so thank you. I will give it a go.

It's never been my intention to become thinner with tics, just less wobbly.

My back has been twinging for a few days, but I have stuck with them & it has only been a twinge whereas in the past I've taken a few days out & it'd get a lot worse.

My hips don't click anymore & I can walk quite a bit without being in pain. :D

I do tics quite sporadically, er...like 2 days, then a day off, then a day, then off, then 2 days & 2 days off.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Little Wicked

Post by Little Wicked » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:40 pm

I've been trying to lose weight (or more specifically, dress sizes) for ages, so joined a gym about 3 months ago. It didn't seem to be doing too much, so about a month ago, I asked my husband to make up a workout program for me (he does strongman training), and now I go to the gym 6 days a week, and this is my training program:
Monday - day off
Tuesday - warm up on cross trainer then toning weights exercises - wood chop, kettlebell halo, tricep dips, oblique squeezes and shoulder extender squeezes, then cool down on cross trainer.
Wednesday - 45 min. jazz dance class
Thursday - 1 hr zumba class
Friday - warm up on cross trainer, then different set of toning exercises - jump squat, push-ups, planks and kettlebell swings, then cool down on cross trainer.
Saturday - 40 min high intensity interval training on cross trainer - alternating 2 mins max. intensity and 2 mins medium intensity.
Sunday - full weights workout with my husband training me - usually squats, clean and press, bent over rows, bench press, lat pull downs, seated rows and tricep pull downs, sometimes a few more, depends on how I'm feeling.
I haven't noticed any weight loss yet, but I'm definitely getting stronger!
Mindi Kay: loves dreads,corsets, shoes, makeup & fashion, obsessed with all things horror/gore related.
http://littlewickedsworld.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.littlewickedsemporium.co.uk

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:45 pm

That sounds like a great routine Little Wicked :D

I think I'll stick to the bike every day this week and a walk in the afternoon, and weights.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:02 pm

I did an hour of aerobics this morning. I love it when I get into a routine with my exercise and it becomes second-nature. I did that hour because I didn't have much time today; a few wekks ago, I would have just thought I didn't have time.

I'll do my Step tomorrow and probably the abs and lower body torture workouts too.

Gracey xx

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Did some of my workout dvd today, about an hour workout. I have been feeling exhausted for the last few days so really had to try.
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Etsy | Facebook

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:41 pm

Still going, but slowly unfortunately. Done hour four of callanetics now, I find the stomach exercises hard only because my head is too heavy to keep up with my dreads in! Getting there though.
Done a fair bit of walking and taught a dance class tonight.

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Went for a long walk today, power walked up the hill to back to my house. Thought like I was going to collapse with exhaustion. But it's so much better than 6 months ago, I couldn't even walk up a few stairs without having to stop for a breath and now I can walk up that hill quickly and without breaks. Woohoo!
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Etsy | Facebook

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Me again.
Zumba today, then my mum and I are going to do some of the new dvd she bought together tomorrow.
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Etsy | Facebook

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:39 am

I did step, abs and a lower body workout today. Given that we are having a proper heatwave, I think I sweated about 4 litres.

Gracey xx

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:55 pm

Nice long walk today in the sun. Really got the muscles pumping on the way back from town and powerwalked it.
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Etsy | Facebook

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:30 pm

I did what I could of my tics while I was away - on the first day I walked about 8-10 miles! M legs ached for the following 2 days. My hotel room wasn't big enough for all the tics moves but I did most of them for 2 nights.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

KelsieStars

Post by KelsieStars » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:48 pm

I fell off the exercise wagon during a flare-up of my illness. But I jumped back onto it today, feeling quite motivated so did 45mins of aerobic exercise on the wii. I know it's not as high-intensity as other dvds - but it's a gentle start. I intend to do the same tomorrow, then an aqua-aerobics class on Monday morning.

My ultimate motivation at the moment is my 30th birthday party in January. It's going to be fancy dress (theme of 'childhood favourites') and I really want to go as She-Rah......... She-rah was not tubby, therefore I can not be tubby! :lol:

Edit: Since Saturday I have been to the gym twice! Sunday was swimming, and today was swimming and Aqua Aerobics! Raaaahhhh!! I feel GOOD!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm feeling rather pleased with myself this evening. I usually only do aerobics in the morning but, for the next two weeks, I am absolutely run off my feet at work.

Today, after work and seeing the chance, I talked myself into an hour of aerobics while I'm usually staring at the computer. Go me!

I have two weeks now until my holiday so I will have to make that the norm if I don't want to let it all slide. And I do mean that literally.

Gracey xx

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”