First SE

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
starzphalling

First SE

Post by starzphalling » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:58 pm

First SE that I decided to actually try to seal so putting it up to find out how and where to improve. Also can anyone point me to links or general tips on how to get the loops more under control? I tried to trim off the frizzy bits, but it still seems really frizzy to me, time for you guys to be the judges (oh and I steam sealed). I used the forum search, but didn't come up with anything that helped, I'm probably using bad search terms.

Also, I got this swirly ridge thing in the middle, is that caused from twisting too tight or doing something wrong with the back combing or gnomes...? Pre-thanks so everyone.

Lamie

Re: First SE

Post by Lamie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:47 am

I'm still a n00b myself (just on my 20th or so dread), but after all the tutorials I've seen it just looks like your backcombing is a little uneven. Really make sure you push those knots up. But good job, the ends look great!

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:59 am

The end does look great! And that swirly bump (I think they refer to it as 'helixing') is a combo of uneven backcombing and twisting technique, that just comes with practice.

As for the fuzzies... yours hardly has any! This has been said a lot but it bears repeating; all dreads are inherently fuzzy, some cameras just don't pick up the fuzzies as much giving the illusion of perfectly smooth, frizz-less dreads.

Your loop actually looks pretty darn good!
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

starzphalling

Post by starzphalling » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:49 am

Thanks you two! I have a slight perfection obsession, so dread making will probably drive me completely insane. I guess I'm off to go backcomb myself to death, that bumpy swirl is really irritating me - it's mocking me. I was just wondering about the loops because going through some of the show off pictures I've seen some that are pretty much completely perfect and smooth. But at least I know I'm on the right track, thanks a bunch for the comments :P

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:40 pm

I agree with poxabomination. The loop looks great and the dread looks like you're definitely in the right direction. The backcombing and twisting come with lots and lots of practice.

And yeh, all dreads are gonna be fuzzy. You can really help that but if you want to trim the bulk of the fuzzies that stick out Doctored Locks suggests using hair clippers to run up the length of the dread to trim it. I use scissors to trim off the fuzzies that are just too much. Be sure to keep the vaccuum close by too. :P

XdeathbettyX

Post by XdeathbettyX » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:08 pm

this is great! I'm still relatively new to this too,so I know how worried you can get over slight imperfections xD I learned a great tip from a girl on here who said to take a bit of hair out of the bag and wrap it around the loop,then steam it,so its all smoothed down. I haven't tried that because I dont tend to do SE's,but i think it's definetley worth a try if you are trouble by your loops. All in all your on the right track!

*,meme,*

Post by *,meme,* » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Go you, my only suggestion is to smooth down the dread as you twist before you steam, then make sure all the lumps are gone as that is what causes the little wiggle. thicker/thinner parts.

You kicked my first dreads butt!

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:39 pm

very good,
and in my personal opinion, i prefer dreads that are more fuzzy, i dont like the look of smooth ones,
and besides, they will become fuzzy over the ime of wearing them anyways, i wouldnt even bother cutting them off as can sometimes make the problem woorse, ive sen some where theyve been cut and they look awful but each to their own, you could use a fine crochet hook, the hook some loops in
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

Return to “Hair Critique”