How do you make dreads look like this?

mamalisa

How do you make dreads look like this?

Post by mamalisa » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:28 am

Hello all you wonderfully helpful people. I've been lurking for a while, reading all of the posts about real dreadlocks. I've done enough research at this point that I think I understand the basics of installing and maintaining dreads, however, I have a question. How would you get your dreads to look like these? So pretty and soft and uniform. This is exactly what I want and I've no idea how to accomplish it. All the techniques I've seen seem to give a more messy, "natural" look. Which is great, just not what I'm looking for. Anyone have any advice?

mamalisa

Re: How do you make dreads look like this?

Post by mamalisa » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:46 am

Perhaps I should add that I have thick (lots of fine strands), straight (little bit of wave at the ends), healthy/silky hair down to the middle of my back.

helloimkitty

Post by helloimkitty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:54 am

I'm definitely no expert, I literally just got done backcombing my own dreads (exciting!) :D however from my own research and understanding of dreadlocks the key to get dreads like those in the pictures you posted is lots care and patience. When you start you dreads you need to be sure to take the time to make equal/uniform sections. After that it's time, good care, more time, keeping them clean and happy, did I mention time?, and most importantly lots and lots of love. Nobodys hair is the same so you really have to just put in the effort in order to get to "know" your personal dreads. There are so many techniques out there (I'm sure you've come across them in your research) to get beautiful dreads and it's really a matter of figuring out which ones work best for you. Love your dreads keep them clean and tidy and they'll love you back. And don't use wax! Wax makes for icky sticky and can lead to smelly dreads.

Hope this helped.
-<3-
alice a.

mamalisa

Post by mamalisa » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:16 am

Congrats on your new little babies! Wheeee! :D

And thanks for your input. I hear ya on the patience part. I know this will be my biggest obstacle with my dreads. It will be a growing experience! (Pun intended ;) )

I am wondering if these dreads are crocheted? Especially the last two photos look to me like they could be. I don't want to over crochet my dreads if it will hurt them. I'm really torn on crocheting. Hmmm...

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:24 am

The dreads in the pictures are established, cared-for, and definitely crocheted. Time is the main factor; all dreads go through a series of stages, some of them very messy, while the hair locks up and compacts. The last picture looks like they are quite young there, you can see how the ends are loose and the dreads are still a bit poofy.

The analogy i use for my customers is dreads as children: they start as babies and have to mature. The newborn stage is a lot of work; they are needy and need routine. The toddler stage is tiresome; they will be unpredictable and often defiant and can be messy nbefore they settle down into childhood. This is usually the point where they start to really take shape and can be guided into how you want them. Then comes the teen stage, which can be the hardest of all. They will be wild and unruly as they grow and change and you may, at this point, regret ever having them. All you can do is continue your regime and enforce your routineto retain control. By the time they settle into adulthood (usually between one and two years) they will be settled, ordered and a source of great pride.

All of the stages are as important as the next and have to be accepted if you are going to keep them. Over the years, I have encountered many different methods of dreadlocking and maintenance, some of which are more effective than others. My honest advice is to stick to hygeine, patience, root-rubbing and crocheting for successful and beautiful dreads. I have never yet encountered damage from crocheting, but I have seen heads of dreads utterly spoilt by wax.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

KelsieStars

Post by KelsieStars » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:39 am

mamalisa wrote: Image

The dreads you've linked to are gorgeous - but I think the ends of the dreads in the pic above have been 'drawn' in. Looks like someone has just used 'paint' and drawn the ends on. Don't know why - I think the curly ends are really cute!

mamalisa

Post by mamalisa » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Ahhh, thank you, Gracey. Exactly the information I was looking for. I have a 9 month old baby at the moment, so I can definitely relate to that analogy. ;)

Kelsie - I agree, the curly ends are adorable!

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm guessing you've seen this... some of the photos you link are on it, and there is some discussion over method
http://get-up-dread-up.livejournal.com/5304633.html
telling it like it is!

shrijani

Post by shrijani » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:32 pm

I made a tutorial a while back that explains how :)

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10616
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/freak.boutique
Freak Boutique - Natural & Fake Dreadlocks

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”