maintaining/washing/deoderizing dreads

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
badtrip

maintaining/washing/deoderizing dreads

Post by badtrip » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Not sure if there is already a thread for this, but:
I wore a set of dreads for about a month and a half. i just took them out. they have that musky hair filthyish smell to them/ is there anything i can do to freshen them up? febreeze? Is there a way of washing them? Ive heard some negative experiences with washing machine. washing by hand?
also they are pastel/light colors, and i went camping with them in, so they are looking a little drab and grey. Is there a way to freshen up the colors again?
or to help keep fluorescent colors bright for the future?
Thanks!

VixenSingsBlack

Re: maintaining/washing/deoderizing dreads

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:26 pm

I cover all of that over here--> http://www.vixensingsblack.com/Guide/Install.html

badtrip

Post by badtrip » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks tons!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:15 pm

I hand wash my dreads (and the dreads of guys who I install on) in the kitchen sink, just fill up the sink with hot water (whatever you're comfortable putting your hands in) from the tap, add a tiny amount of laundry detergent. Just swish the water around and then let the dreads soak for 10 or so minutes. Drain the soapy water, then rinse very well. Take a coat hanger and if they're DE dreads, just slip them onto the bottom of it, or if they're SE, I just have a long piece of rexlace I thread onto the bottom using some of the hooks. Take your dreads outside and for SE, you can just swing the coathanger around until most of the water is removed xD It's fun in summer! Otherwise, let drip dry. When dry, you can reseal those that need it or wear them straight away!

Too easy...

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”