The Roller Derby thread

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
blackmetal_mosher

Re: The Roller Derby thread

Post by blackmetal_mosher » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:28 am

myhappymassacre wrote:I'm from Kettering, and for me the closest team would be Northampton's Shoetown Slayers (http://www.shoetownslayers.co.uk). They don't seem to be on that derbyroster website though; I'm not sure if that's a problem?

OMG! I am SO there!! I really really want to do this, although I am thinking of trying to start my own. I will advertise in local shops etc as my friends aren't really interested 'cause they're boring!! :roll:

Any recommendations for good skates sales? I need good prices and sizes as I have size 8-10 feet depending on width. I have done a google search but I wondered if you girls (and boys) can recommend anything in particular?
Hello, I am in right now, but there is someone I dont want to speak to. If you are leaving a message and I don't answer the phone, then that person is you...

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:28 pm

I would suggest not starting your own if you have a team nearby. Starting a team is really hard work anyway (I know, I've just done it in the past few months!) but you might also struggle to get people to join if you're competing for the same pool of people. We're the only team in Northern Ireland and we still struggle! Honestly, if there was already a team here or even a team anywhere in NI, I would have just gone there instead of setting one up. I love skating but I hate having to be setting one up :(

If you have really wide feet then skates like the Riedell 265 and Wicked etc would be better than the R3s or Dash as they lace further down the foot so it would be easy to widen them. Another advantage to joining an established league is that you could try on skates of other skaters before you buy! In terms of where to buy them, Skate Attack, Everglides and Kickflip Boards all have them. Kickflip do a pretty decent starter pack with pads and skates too. Outside of the UK, Sin City Skates would be my shop of choice but you will be hit by large shipping costs and customs charges.
Madii wrote:See, this is why all new leagues need to get themselves on the roster as soon as possible! I didn't even know there was a Northampton team, they must be fairly new. Go join them! Go go go!
I dunno how we ended up on the roster cos I don't think I contacted them lol
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:33 pm

If you think Hannahbolic steroids is too long you could always just got for Hannah Bolic or something :)
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

blackmetal_mosher

Post by blackmetal_mosher » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:55 pm

Ice_Pick_Abortions wrote:I would suggest not starting your own if you have a team nearby. Starting a team is really hard work anyway (I know, I've just done it in the past few months!) but you might also struggle to get people to join if you're competing for the same pool of people. We're the only team in Northern Ireland and we still struggle! Honestly, if there was already a team here or even a team anywhere in NI, I would have just gone there instead of setting one up. I love skating but I hate having to be setting one up :(

If you have really wide feet then skates like the Riedell 265 and Wicked etc would be better than the R3s or Dash as they lace further down the foot so it would be easy to widen them. Another advantage to joining an established league is that you could try on skates of other skaters before you buy! In terms of where to buy them, Skate Attack, Everglides and Kickflip Boards all have them. Kickflip do a pretty decent starter pack with pads and skates too. Outside of the UK, Sin City Skates would be my shop of choice but you will be hit by large shipping costs and customs charges.
Madii wrote:See, this is why all new leagues need to get themselves on the roster as soon as possible! I didn't even know there was a Northampton team, they must be fairly new. Go join them! Go go go!
I dunno how we ended up on the roster cos I don't think I contacted them lol

Aaah ok thanks for the tip!

I don't know how I missed this thread before. I've been interested since I saw some roller girls on Miami Ink??!! :i7: I mean make new friends, get fit, have fun and rid some frustration? What more could you want!
Hello, I am in right now, but there is someone I dont want to speak to. If you are leaving a message and I don't answer the phone, then that person is you...

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:45 pm

I love my R3s so much. I've been pottering around the kitchen and I spent around an hour this afternoon trying to figure out the best way to lace the toe protectors on. Then I took an awkward webcam photo :D

Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

blackmetal_mosher

Post by blackmetal_mosher » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:26 am

Wow! They look amazing!

How much were they??

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:36 am

They're normally anywhere from a bargain £90 to £120. I wouldn't pay more than £120 for them cos you can definitely get them that price or cheaper. People often sell them on on ebay as well. If you spot the Dash model for around the same prices then you could go for that too, they're almost the same.

Gonna take my OH on his first outdoor excursion today (weather permitting) :D Should be fun! I think I might have a slight fiddle with my trucks later on..

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:56 pm

I just saw white ones on ebay for £90 including shipping from America, but they only have US6's left, and I believe I'm a US9 :(

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:37 pm

I went for this package: http://kickflipboards.com/roller-derby/ ... -pack.html I don't really like the wristguards though, they fit okay but they're very bulky. I might sell them on and try to pick up a more slimline pair.

I saw some R3s on Ebay, £100 delivered from America but I was worried about being stung with customs charges.

Madii: They smell lovely :)

Futzzz

Post by Futzzz » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:18 pm

oh they look really nice:)
I was one R3's in the beginning and they were really good for starting out but now im on wickeds and i could really feel the difference once i started skating seriously!
Just sprained my ankle on monday though - sooo frustrating! I was going to go practive with Malmö's Crime city rollers too but had to cancel:(

This is the most addictive sport ever!

blackmetal_mosher

Post by blackmetal_mosher » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:20 am

They do look really nice, and not a bad price either.
Northampton have invited me to go and watch for a while, and they all seem really nice too. Looking forward to it!

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:36 pm

Today I had the pleasure of watching the Sheffield Steel Rollergirls vs. Newcastle Rollergirls bout. My first bout (other than the closed inter-league bout CCR held a few weeks ago). I had a really really great day and I got a SSRG tote bag :)

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:03 pm

One of my good friends was skating for Newcastle, Ruth "Bear". I've just been having a gander at her pictures on facebook.
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:04 pm

We had Laura (Captain Turdseye) skating with us last month from the Newcastle girls. One of many NI natives who have joined teams over on the mainland. Why couldn't they all have stayed and saved me the bother, eh :roll: Had a message from some Liverpool ladies and they're planning to come over for a skate soon too :D

Had our first taste of scrimmaging today, was a real eye opener!

Intra_venus

Post by Intra_venus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:23 pm

I've been thinking of going along to the next London Roller Girls new people thingy but I've been putting it off cos I don't have a permanent job and if I was suddenly out of work I'd have to stop going... However, if the job interview I had today pays off, then I may give it a go!

Can anyone reccomend somewhere that sells cheapy skates and pads in the UK? And is anyone a London Rollergirl who can set my mind at ease about it? I've never been a sport person but maybe that's cos I associate sport with the popular girls in my PE lessons at school when I was a chubby little weirdo!

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:26 pm

I got a kit with skates and pads and a helmet from Kickflip Boards, the link is in the thread somewhere.

Practice was really really good yesterday. I have to say that Ouija Broad is a really good teacher, I seem to 'get' things a lot faster with her. My 5 minute laps have increased over the past 2 1/2 weeks from 14 to 22. Very pleased :)

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:51 pm

iamtheparty wrote:I got a kit with skates and pads and a helmet from Kickflip Boards, the link is in the thread somewhere.

Practice was really really good yesterday. I have to say that Ouija Broad is a really good teacher, I seem to 'get' things a lot faster with her. My 5 minute laps have increased over the past 2 1/2 weeks from 14 to 22. Very pleased :)
I still die after about 3 minutes :( Which is a shame because to start with I can get a lap in about 10 seconds!

There's some sort of event happening with Quadzilla that Lincolnshire are organising at the end of August. We can't go cos we haven't passed minimums yet thought :( Stupid poopy minimums.. But I did see that CCR were down for info

quinnster

Post by quinnster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:26 pm

Intra_venus wrote:I've been thinking of going along to the next London Roller Girls new people thingy but I've been putting it off cos I don't have a permanent job and if I was suddenly out of work I'd have to stop going... However, if the job interview I had today pays off, then I may give it a go!
And is anyone a London Rollergirl who can set my mind at ease about it?
Yes - me. We currently accept new skaters via our recreational league - there's a waiting list to join this, so if you want to skate with us, you'd need to get on the waiting list by emailing recleague AT londonrollergirls.com for more info :)

Once you're on the waiting list, look out for the next boot camp, which will teach you basic stops, falls, speed and stride. If you do well at the boot camp you will be able to start skating with the rec league (which will be training twice weekly from September).

I don't skate under the name quinnster, I am Metallikat ;)

MistressH

Post by MistressH » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:39 am

im so glad the quadzilla thing is public knowledge now ive been sitting on my hands desperate to tell people :lol:

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:45 am

There's been so many things going on! Is it normally like this in the summer? Maybe next year I'll actually be able to go to something :roll:

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:18 pm

The BBC are down this week, bricking it! Just hope we have more than we had last week for the newspaper :roll:

Oh Lordy

Curse my dentist for being off all of July so I couldn't get my nice new purple VISIBLE gum shield until after these pics. I say that like the gum shield is what would have made the picture, not the fact that I look like I'm about to sneeze and am all squinty among other issues.. :roll:

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:24 pm

A girl I know from Manchester text me this evening to ask about getting involved in roller derby so I've just sent her a humongous Facebook message :D She's a super awesome girl and I think she's definitely gutsy enough for it :)

I cannot wait for practice on Sunday! I missed Monday because on the way there, some psycho threatened my bus with a gigantic f*ck off knife. No joke. Somebody also said he had a gun but I didn't see that. The practice was in Moseley which is a pretty dodgy area and apparently people have been attacked recently on buses. It really shook me up, and after practice I have to wait around on my own til about 9:30pm for my bus back. So I guess I can't do Monday practices anymore :(

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:41 pm

I know Hannah was querying decent shorts the other day, I've just found This & thought I'd share.

Looks pretty awesome.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:32 am

Ooooo is it like a long length skort? Or are the leggings separate, I can't really tell lol.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:35 am

I'm guessing it's all in one. very unfortunately doesn't explain it well.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”