Dreadbashing on wordpress

Is someone using someone elses material?
Report suspicious activity here.
Candied_Angel

Dreadbashing on wordpress

Post by Candied_Angel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:34 am

I don't know if anyone ever discovered this blog before. I tried searching for it in the 'search' function but nothing came up. Anyway I came upon stylecunt.wordpress.com while I was google image searching a type of dread I had come across in another recent search.

http://thestylecunt.wordpress.com/2009/02/

I was sort of offended by it because it was clear she hadn't done any homework in the actual reasearch aspect of it. But she had done a lot of image research. I noticed a lot of the pics were from the HeavenlyHair board as well as from other places. She doesn't post anything like 'with the permission of' or 'courtesy of'. all the pictures are kind of squished together. A lot of the pictures have some beautiful work and even though the posts are a bit old, maybe there's a bit of redeemable arguement in it?
Striving for social imperfection since 1990.

[Phexxie]

Re: Dreadbashing on wordpress

Post by [Phexxie] » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:47 pm

what a horrible person! this is no better than shouting obcenities at someone in the street for the way they look!

i recognise the majority of those pictures, but for some reason i get the feeling that the owner of this blog probably doesnt give a toss that theyre nicked...
after all, shes (im assuming this is a she) not claiming them as her own... just blatantly slating the work of others and more or less saying that almost anyone who chooses to wear hair falls or extensions is an idiot

and how on eath can she claim there is a 'right' way to wear dreads? her way, and no other way?

urgh.... i think its fair to say this has wound me up a bit!

but yes, stolen pictures, no credit, shouldnt be done either way

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Quite a silly blog really...

If they don't like them, why don't they just let it be?

But I had a little lol at "the kids want their lanyard materials back" message. We are after all putting lanyard material in our hair rofl.

Candied_Angel

Post by Candied_Angel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:35 pm

I have a love hate relationship with snarky people. Sometimes they can be funny, enlightening sometimes like Anothony Bourdain but others it's like they've been stuck on the set of 'The Comedy Roast of...[Betty White?]' since the day they've been born. Personally I think the girl's fashion sense is a bit chopped and screwed just like the fashion world of today...ever changing and contradicting itself.

'The 80s were hideous! But lets wear 80s leggings, jackets, and classes in 90s day glo colours!'

'...?'

But as this is an issue of copyright, I don't think there's much we can do. It's from 2008 and if we contact her I think she'd be tickled beyond belief to know that there is a whole forum of hundreds of women patrolling the net to keep all their precious anime hair and craft supplies to themselves.

Besides she says she's worn synthetic dreads before so you would think she'd have an idea just what the community is like and respect it.
Striving for social imperfection since 1990.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:49 pm

:lol:

her on DollyDecay: (marshmallowmassacre)
Little Bo Peep Lolita, you must be keeping your sheep inside your hair. Let’s hope you never get rained on, I doubt you could support the weight of your hair wet.
The pic is the blue curlies with the one eared bunny...WTH has a sheep got to do with it???

She makes me sound like a happy, normal person...wow. she clearly has (had) some issues.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

ZenFierce

Post by ZenFierce » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:41 am

Looks like the blog is inactive now. Good riddance i say.

TwiggyDEVOUR

Post by TwiggyDEVOUR » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:14 pm

..am I the only one who finds this funny ? :o She makes quite valid points about how plastic/wool and synthetic hair extensions aren't for anyone.
I'm more than sure of seeing some equally bitchy posts by few hair alternatives on sites like ours about chavs and scene girls with extensions that don't match their own hair colour, or are too shiny, etc etc.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:02 pm

TwiggyDEVOUR wrote:..am I the only one who finds this funny ? :o She makes quite valid points about how plastic/wool and synthetic hair extensions aren't for anyone.
I'm more than sure of seeing some equally bitchy posts by few hair alternatives on sites like ours about chavs and scene girls with extensions that don't match their own hair colour, or are too shiny, etc etc.
Yep works both ways! ;)
Miss Panda - Paint The World In Neon Colours

The Black and White Army = Panda "Salute me Solider"

ZenFierce

Post by ZenFierce » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:23 pm

Her argument would have been much more convincing if she didn't use some really nice pics in there.

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Out of curiousity, I just checked the link and I believe the blog is still active.

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Stylecunt has been going for quite a while, I've been following her LJ syndication since 2008 at least. This post is almost 18 months old and her blog hasn't been regularly updated for almost a year.

I have to admit, I agree with about 99% of what she says. Dreads can be done very well and we do have several examples of stylish dread wears on this board. They can also be done awfully, and don't suit everyone. There are also a few of us older alternative girls who have been doing this for years and have totally grown out of the garish bright colours and extreme hairstyles. Unfortunuately a lot of fake hair seems to be about being as "alternative" as possible, rather than showing off good quality, well styled hair that makes the most of your features. It's much the same with alternative fashion.

That said, I am all for self expression. People can wear whatever they want to wear. Just like people can say whatever they want to say about what other people wear. It's a two way street I'm afraid. ;)

Also on the topic of copyright, I am not sure the owner of these pictures would appreciate being credited, given the nature of the blog. She's probably doing them a favour by not including details.
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

Shay Wynter

Post by Shay Wynter » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:09 pm

woooooow. I dont even have word to discribe how stupid people can be. My picture was stolen one for a similar kind of website, saying that my hair looked as if I murdered a family of hairy spiders and made their skin inder hair extensions and added tattered strips of bright green curtins that you would see in a house back in the 70's

I just laughed my hole off....it was commical. but this is mean. *sigh*
xShayxWynterx
Have Facebook? Add my little buisness as a friend.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/D.Obsession?ref=ts

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:15 am

Dystopatica wrote:Stylecunt has been going for quite a while, I've been following her LJ syndication since 2008 at least. This post is almost 18 months old and her blog hasn't been regularly updated for almost a year.

I have to admit, I agree with about 99% of what she says. Dreads can be done very well and we do have several examples of stylish dread wears on this board. They can also be done awfully, and don't suit everyone. There are also a few of us older alternative girls who have been doing this for years and have totally grown out of the garish bright colours and extreme hairstyles. Unfortunuately a lot of fake hair seems to be about being as "alternative" as possible, rather than showing off good quality, well styled hair that makes the most of your features. It's much the same with alternative fashion.

That said, I am all for self expression. People can wear whatever they want to wear. Just like people can say whatever they want to say about what other people wear. It's a two way street I'm afraid. ;)

Also on the topic of copyright, I am not sure the owner of these pictures would appreciate being credited, given the nature of the blog. She's probably doing them a favour by not including details.
I completely agree with this. Especially the part about some people choosing to be as "alternative" as possible rather than making flattering, well-made dreads. It applies to clothing too. Dreads and plastic falls can be done well, but if they're done poorly, I think they can look absolutely terrible and unflattering.

There's very poor fashion and hair choices in the alternative world just as there is in the mainstream world (leggings worn as pants anyone?). Something like this is bound to come along, and I think she makes a valid point. I'm not saying that this is right, but if you look at "alternative" forums, you're bound to find people insulting "blonde bimbos", "chavs" and "conformists".
More human than human

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:40 am

well, yeah. If someone doesn't fit in to your aesthetic of the world, it's only natural to mock them (apparently) admittedly I look at some people (agree 100% with Tazzyface's "leggings" comment) & think did you not look in the mirror before you left the house?!

I'm sure people think the same about me.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:18 am

I think the difference is rather than bashing something which isn't part of your personal aesthetic like commenting on charvs/trendies/whatever Stylecunt is commenting on aspects of her own fashion niche which aren't really flattering or appealing. I suspect she has been part of the scene for a long time and like a lot of us has witnessed a considerable amount of alternative fashion tragedies. Lots of people make some hideous fashion mistakes as during their youth when trying to find thier own style identity and it's sometimes a little too easy for us oldies to judge them.

Not that we are exempt of course, there are people older than me who still have a terrible sense of style and those are the ones who attract the most criticism. Rightly so in my eyes, but it's common knowledge I am an awful bitch.
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:10 pm

hell yeah. Oooh, there have been a few dread sights over the years, makes me lol....but I don't comment (mostly) the young alts seem to go theough phases, I suppose it's forgiveable to a certain degree, they're only buying what they can get their hands on.... unfortunately these days alt shops sell naff cheap nastiness. But then, I guess the oldies when I was younger probably thought the same thing :lol:

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Shay Wynter

Post by Shay Wynter » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:03 am

Dystopatica wrote:I think the difference is rather than bashing something which isn't part of your personal aesthetic like commenting on charvs/trendies/whatever Stylecunt is commenting on aspects of her own fashion niche which aren't really flattering or appealing. I suspect she has been part of the scene for a long time and like a lot of us has witnessed a considerable amount of alternative fashion tragedies. Lots of people make some hideous fashion mistakes as during their youth when trying to find thier own style identity and it's sometimes a little too easy for us oldies to judge them.

Not that we are exempt of course, there are people older than me who still have a terrible sense of style and those are the ones who attract the most criticism. Rightly so in my eyes, but it's common knowledge I am an awful bitch.

yeah but the majority of the people in those pictures are gorgeous and have amazing dreads. maybe she is part of the scene, but still..oh well....its not even worth it
Last edited by Shay Wynter on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xShayxWynterx
Have Facebook? Add my little buisness as a friend.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/D.Obsession?ref=ts

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:09 am

Are you basing that assumption on that one post? If you read the rest of the blog it's dedicated to alternative and gothic fashion, she very much is part of the scene indeed. Also given the images she's used come from a variety of sources its fairly safe to say she's aware of several hair forums/sites and hasn't just stumbled upon one and decided to take the piss.

Not all of the posts on the blog are snarky, a lot of them are pointing out alternative fashion done well. It's just that quite a few people in the alternative scene don't believe looking like a neon fraggle with permanently surprised eyebrows is particularly flattering.
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 am

Dystopatica wrote: t's just that quite a few people in the alternative scene don't believe looking like a neon fraggle with permanently surprised eyebrows is particularly flattering.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BEST
DESCRIPTION
EVER!!!

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:06 pm

^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Shay Wynter wrote:
Dystopatica wrote:I think the difference is rather than bashing something which isn't part of your personal aesthetic like commenting on charvs/trendies/whatever Stylecunt is commenting on aspects of her own fashion niche which aren't really flattering or appealing. I suspect she has been part of the scene for a long time and like a lot of us has witnessed a considerable amount of alternative fashion tragedies. Lots of people make some hideous fashion mistakes as during their youth when trying to find thier own style identity and it's sometimes a little too easy for us oldies to judge them.

yeah but the majority of the people in those pictures are gorgeous and have amazing dreads. i personally dont think shes part of "the scene" at all. based on what she has written.

/Posting fail

If you look further down in the blog she says:
"I shall be the first to admit that I have worn synth dreads, but I never had the intention of becoming the live version of Cyber Girl Barbie. There is a right way and a dumb way to wearing synth dreads, and i must say, 90% of you look like idiots (or maybe a smaller-headed version of a Bratz doll). "

Personally, I have to agree with the general train of thought that she is part of the scene.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:27 pm

TwiggyDEVOUR wrote:..am I the only one who finds this funny ? :o She makes quite valid points about how plastic/wool and synthetic hair extensions aren't for anyone.
I laughed at it.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:00 am

Having gone clubbing a fair number of times, I'd say that about 98% of people just look ridiculous. I'm sure those who have been to an industrial/EBM/whatever club will have seen people that have tried way too hard to fit in to the "scene". It looks like they haven't really thought about how the outfit flows together and whether it's flattering for their body, but rather how many 'goffik' clichés they can possibly wear - I see the exact same poorly made and worn dreads/cyberlox, goggles, fishnet tops, abundance of symbols and short petticoat-y things over and over... The 2% who put thought into their outfits and make sure they're wearing their falls properly look absolutely wonderful.

That's not to say the aforementioned items are bad in any way, they just all seem to be worn the same, if that makes sense? Particularly the dreads. I've only seen one person who hasn't worn their falls on a ponytail that's level with their ears.

But then, I've grown out of the whole "cyber" thing pretty quickly. I prefer a more minimalist look nowadays, in terms of hair and fashion.
More human than human

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:30 am

tazzyface wrote:Having gone clubbing a fair number of times, I'd say that about 98% of people just look ridiculous. I'm sure those who have been to an industrial/EBM/whatever club will have seen people that have tried way too hard to fit in to the "scene". It looks like they haven't really thought about how the outfit flows together and whether it's flattering for their body, but rather how many 'goffik' clichés they can possibly wear - I see the exact same poorly made and worn dreads/cyberlox, goggles, fishnet tops, abundance of symbols and short petticoat-y things over and over... The 2% who put thought into their outfits and make sure they're wearing their falls properly look absolutely wonderful.

That's not to say the aforementioned items are bad in any way, they just all seem to be worn the same, if that makes sense? Particularly the dreads. I've only seen one person who hasn't worn their falls on a ponytail that's level with their ears.

But then, I've grown out of the whole "cyber" thing pretty quickly. I prefer a more minimalist look nowadays, in terms of hair and fashion.

Mm, I have seen some bad styling around here too...

Return to “Copyright?”