My first go at dreads for awhile

Candied_Angel

My first go at dreads for awhile

Post by Candied_Angel » Sat May 15, 2010 1:39 am

I first got into dreads about 3 or 4 years ago but then there wasn't a lot of tutorials like there was now. So my first attempts were really atrocious and not really picture worthy even though at the time I loved them to death, literally. I still do but mainly because the falls were huge and in my favorite colour combo: lime green, black, and white.

This is actually my third attempt at making dreads. I used Brandalynn's goddess dread tutorial [ for making really fat dreads] which was basically after backcombing twisting and wrapping the dread in 1" thick fabric. I sort of liked them this way.

It really simplified things even though it was a bit more finger work. All I had to do after was drop all of them into a big pot of boiling water for two minutes. The little one on the end is the one my sister backcombed and wrapped herself. ^.^

I left the ends out since it's really tricky to wrap the ends. Here's a picture of them after they were unwrapped but before the ends were finished with an iron. There's about 5 DEs and 9 SEs.

They have varying lengths and thicknesses because they were from a practice packet of hair. That and my little sister wanted to help.

[Future dread head?] I know you can't really see it but she is holding onto the hair and backcombing in her own special way.

Here are the pics of the finished bundles and ends that were sealed with an iron. I know they aren't the best but they were tricky and I couldn't get the setting on my iron right. I kept burning my fingers and melting hair. >.<''

The longer DEs were really hard to backcomb so they have the most lumps. In the end i think i found my perfect way of sealing. The dreads came out so smooth with little to now fly aways.

Sorry the pictures aren't better. The only camera I have at the moment is a webcam. I'll hopefully be starting work soon [which I'm probably going to make a whole black set for] so I can get some awesome pictures of my dreads and otakon, which I plan on having a large woolie install! ^.^

AbbieLaZe

Re: My first go at dreads for awhile

Post by AbbieLaZe » Wed May 19, 2010 12:18 am

hmm - i like these.
Your doing very well :D

I havnet heard of this wrapping method though.
Does it work well ?? Is there a tutorial around??

** goes off to search.
** Manda **

Otherwize known as AbbieLaze

Candied_Angel

Post by Candied_Angel » Wed May 19, 2010 1:28 am

I personally really like this method of sealing.
It works well when your work area is a bit away from your sealing area aka backcombing in a bedroom and then sealing in a kitchen. ^.^
It just requires a few more things like a yard of fabric.

I first saw it when Brandalynn posted the link to her youtube video on here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K75OvkzrQL0
I installed these a few days later and just took them out today and their still pretty solid.
There a bit more fly aways but it's nothing you can't trim away or reseal with an iron, flat iron, steamer whatever you want to use.

But thanks! ^.^
I'm still trying to figure out backcombing.
When I backcombed these I felt around for lumps but somehow they still ended up in there. >.<''
Striving for social imperfection since 1990.

ZenFierce

Post by ZenFierce » Sat May 29, 2010 2:41 pm

I personally dislike using the wrapping method for sealing thinner dreads as it takes a long time and I have since i cant twist as i steam, I lose some control over the shape of the dread and they don't look as nice when I'm done. Although this may be just more of a personal preference. I do find this method useflul for huge dreads though. I would recommend investing in a steamer, or or using one of the other sealing methods that are posted around here ( there are quite a few ways to do it). When I first started out, I used the steam from the funnel of a kettle to seal dreads, as I found this to be the best cheap method for myself. I do believe it is important to find the methods that work best for you. Sorry if this was kinda long and good luck. :D

Candied_Angel

Post by Candied_Angel » Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

I would get a steamer if my budget wasn't so small.
Since this I've become very good friends with my iron and even though I love these I've resealed them with my iron.
But I think that's only because I actually have a work station now where I can do whatever I want in one space.

And length is all right. I prefer it even though I'm being severely brief right now. ^.^
Striving for social imperfection since 1990.

Return to “Hair Critique”