First dreads ever

alix_bubblybabe

First dreads ever

Post by alix_bubblybabe » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:19 am

Ok so I had a go at making some SE dreads and I didn't expect them to be brilliant and they wern't lol but just putting up some pics to maybe get some tips and advice for my next set :D. I think sealing was a major problem I used a wet cloth and an iron but was thinking should maybe try steam for my next attempt. So here goes

plain black with one kinda marbled one

pink and purple

candycane

oh and one of the ends sealed

as a set of falls

Vex88

Re: First dreads ever

Post by Vex88 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 am

You've posted quite small pics so it's quite hard to see them. I think you might need to work on backcombing a bit (as do i ) Tho theres loadsa folk on here who don't use steamers and still get great results :)
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

Lady_Disdain

Post by Lady_Disdain » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:27 pm

very good for a first attempt =D
work on backcoming alot, and sectioning your hair so all the dreads will be about the same width. you don't need steam to get perfect dreads (although personally i think it's alot easier than with an iron)
I am a saint in the Hell you create. I am a God in the ruins that you seek. I'm a disciple of war, I'm a martyr of whores, I'm the sin that you taste, you created, I'm yours. <3

G1A_Zomb13

Post by G1A_Zomb13 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:37 pm

They are pretty good for your first go at dreads. :]

I agree that you should backcomb them just a tad more so that they're uniform in thickness.
I think you did a good job with the color twists in your candycanes; one doesn't overpower the other.

Overall a good first try! :D

*Edit* How wet was the wet cloth and how hot was your iron?

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Agreed on pretty much everything everyone else said on here, but I have to complement you on your ends - most "first dreads" (including my own!) that I've seen posted have really loose-ly sealed (or not sealed at all it seems) ends. Yours look pretty tight....keep up the good work; you'll be making awesome dreads with some practice!

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:48 pm

I think for a first attempt you've done very, very well. I wouldn't say you'd make a ton of money trying to sell them at this point, but for personal use you're definitely capable! Some folks like their dreads to all be very uniform, I prefer them to vary a bit in width so really in my opinion that one's a personal call.

I would work on your backcombing though, as I can see the thick and thin effect of bumpy knots in a not so intentional sort of way. When you very gently run your thumb and finger down the length of the dread and don't run over any super dense knotty spots, you're good to go.
Also it appears as though the look you're going for involves a very thin end. Check out some various tutorials on how to get them sealed just right to avoid unraveling, especially on your candy canes.
I always find it easier to get great results with a steamer, but I could easily be biased! Just try different methods and see what comes naturally to you.
Keep up the good work, can't wait to see more of your stuff!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 pm

God job for your first go at it! Just spend more time backcombing.

alix_bubblybabe

Post by alix_bubblybabe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:26 am

Cheers for the advice guys, I'm just about to start my next set so I will definitely spend a lot more time back combing :D and check out a few more tutorials.

@ AtomicLox - Yea found that there were a few lumpy bits and I tried combing them out but I guess I need to just spend a bit more time getting them even, practice makes perfect I suppose.

@ G1A_Zomb13 - well I soaked the cloth and the iron was on the highest setting but maybe I just ahould have spent longer going over them. I think I'll try a couple of different methods for this next set , boiling water and steam and see how that goes.

Thanks again for all the positiveness can't wait to get started on some more :D will definitely post pics for some more constructive criticism.

FaerieGirl

Post by FaerieGirl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:37 pm

I would really like to see some bigger pictures.
I really like your color combos. They go together nicely. I agree with every one else, you need to backcomb a bit more, but they look wonderful for a first attempt!! You don't NEED a steamer in order to seal your dreads, however I've heard that once you start using one, you'll never go back, so be warned! :)
Great job! Can't wait to see your next set!!
Taking over the world, one cupcake at a time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CausticCu ... 7885476928
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

Brainpill

Post by Brainpill » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:12 am

I use the iron steal ordeal.
Its a very hot iron tho, so if your iron doesn't get hot enough, it will take forever to seal and just not get there. I know, I thought about using an older iron but it was just your run of the mill heat, and wouldn't work. Mine gets around 402* or so it says. =]

Backcomb a lot more, before you seal twist it first, feel the lumps and if you don't like, don't seal, go back and comb.

=]
https://www.facebook.com/LexiphantDreads - Facebook Page
http://predatordreads.tumblr.com/ - Tumblr Page
Dread on loves! <3

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:36 am

ok if you can manage def. get urself a steamer.
I've just started off to and let me tell you, the steamer makes life so much easier.
I had so much trouble before because i was using the boiling technique.
The steamer technique allows you too twist properly, seal properly and lock the dreads tight.
Anyho - give it a go :D
Good luck with your dreadies their looking good :i9:
** Manda **

Otherwize known as AbbieLaze

Return to “Hair Critique”