Dreads on Film/TV

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Taraiha

Dreads on Film/TV

Post by Taraiha » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:42 pm

I was watching The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe earlier and it occured to me how cool Tilda Swinton's dread wig for the Ice Queen costume was.
The only other dreads I remember seeing in films (other than on coloured people) are Sway's twisted dreads in Gone in Sixty Seconds and, of course, Predator's cyberlox.
Have you seen any really well done dreads etc in films/on tv?
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offense. But we could take the safety labels off everything and let nature run its course.

sammu

Re: Dreads on Film

Post by sammu » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Faye from Steps, Christina Aguilera and Pink have had dreads before.

Predator didn't have cyberlox, they were cast latex as far as I'm aware.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:16 am

CirqueMachine wrote:Faye from Steps

That made me LOL so hard xD (I liked Steps at one point, but she kinda annoyed me).

Actually, Denise from the Vengaboys, err, the blonde one, had some pretty neat twists in the video for we like to party.

sammu

Post by sammu » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:28 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:

That made me LOL so hard xD (I liked Steps at one point, but she kinda annoyed me).

Actually, Denise from the Vengaboys, err, the blonde one, had some pretty neat twists in the video for we like to party.
She was my favourite in Steps. XD I watch their Christmas song just to admire her dreads. :lol:

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:17 pm

CirqueMachine wrote:
rivetlicker_ wrote:

She was my favourite in Steps. XD I watch their Christmas song just to admire her dreads. :lol:
I liked Claire more!

Taraiha

Post by Taraiha » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:08 pm

CirqueMachine wrote:Faye from Steps, Christina Aguilera and Pink have had dreads before.
That made me laugh too. It's a bit like mentioning Sid Viscious, Billy Idol and Joe Elderry in the same sentence :lol:

I'd forgotten about Christina's black & white do. Wasn't that in the 'Beautiful' video?
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offense. But we could take the safety labels off everything and let nature run its course.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:45 am

CirqueMachine wrote:
rivetlicker_ wrote:

Me too :oops:
telling it like it is!

starlight

Post by starlight » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:38 am

Newton Faulkner has real dreads:

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vbuk2vu ... re=related

SHE DID :O

I never saw this video. They fizzled out here in about 2000.

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:50 pm

MissAnthropik wrote:
CirqueMachine wrote:
rivetlicker_ wrote:

Me too :oops:
ha ha one of the first times i ever wore installed dreads i was sat at a bus stop waiting for a friend when some kids spotted me and started to come over swigging blue WKD. having had nothing but trouble in the past from similar type people i was shitting myself waiting to get a thumping or something but they came right up and were all "here, wee girl, your hurr is leek Faye from Steps. it's class leek" (may be hard to imagine this if you don't know a belfast accent..) and were really nice about it. they were bright blue so were nothing like her blonde dreads but being told i was like Faye from Steps was one of the first compliments from the public that i had.

that was a bit of a long story to tell nothing. sorry!
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

Taraiha

Post by Taraiha » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:09 pm

starlight wrote:Newton Faulkner has real dreads:

Wow, thanks. Never heard of him before but I think he's my new hero. I just watched loads of his videos in one sitting, great voice.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:13 am

There are loads of musicians with real dreads, I thought we were thinking of people with extensions. But I agree, Newton Faulkner is great and so are his dreads!
telling it like it is!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:32 am

Has no one said Pirates of Caribbean yet?

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:34 pm

The girl in St Trinian's wears a dread wig- http://s.bebo.com/app-image/7925357617/ ... /28/ce.jpg

Taraiha

Post by Taraiha » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:33 am

VixenSingsBlack wrote:Has no one said Pirates of Caribbean yet?
I can't even believe I forgot that one.... :o Perhaps it was just too obvious?

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:53 am

Ice_Pick_Abortions wrote:MissAnthropik wrote:
CirqueMachine wrote:
rivetlicker_ wrote:

She was my favourite in Steps. XD I watch their Christmas song just to admire her dreads.

Me too
:lol: At that point in time, that woman was the absolute bane of my life. I had dreads and bleached them out and got approached daily to be told I looked like her/asked if I was her! Similarly, divvies used to shout 'Spice Girl!' at me because I wore Buffalo boots. :oops:

Around the same time there was a TV programme called As If featuring a girl with cotton wraps who also drew a lot of comparisons.

Newton Faulkner's dreads are nice but I do find my fingers uncontrollably twitching towards my crochet needle whenever he's on the screen :P

Further to that, has anyone mentioned Heath Ledger in The Knight's Tale? And Angelina Jolie looked like some kind of angel in one film, was it Gone In 60 seconds?

I really feel like I should be able to reel off loads, but my brain is addled. :roll:
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:07 am

Not quite a movie star, but Susan Powter had synth dreads for a while. I wanna say Boogie Mama did the install but I'm not 100% sure.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:41 am

there were dreads in the movie 10,000 BC
*Manda*

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:36 am

woolhairhabit wrote:
Ice_Pick_Abortions wrote:MissAnthropik wrote:
CirqueMachine wrote:
rivetlicker_ wrote:

She was my favourite in Steps. XD I watch their Christmas song just to admire her dreads.

Me too
:lol: At that point in time, that woman was the absolute bane of my life. I had dreads and bleached them out and got approached daily to be told I looked like her/asked if I was her! Similarly, divvies used to shout 'Spice Girl!' at me because I wore Buffalo boots. :oops:

Around the same time there was a TV programme called As If featuring a girl with cotton wraps who also drew a lot of comparisons.

Newton Faulkner's dreads are nice but I do find my fingers uncontrollably twitching towards my crochet needle whenever he's on the screen :P

Further to that, has anyone mentioned Heath Ledger in The Knight's Tale? And Angelina Jolie looked like some kind of angel in one film, was it Gone In 60 seconds?

I really feel like I should be able to reel off loads, but my brain is addled. :roll:
LOL, I wanted Spice Girl boots as a kid. Little did I know back then that they were Buffalo!

apatico

Post by apatico » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:35 am

There were some awesome dreads and hairstyles in Apocalypto!

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:17 am

woolhairhabit wrote:
Sooz <3 it was actually that character that finally made me seriously start looking into how they were done after admiring them for a while before hand
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:19 am

woolhairhabit wrote:

I never used to watch that As If programme, but people kept telling me i looked like the girl in that, and that my hair was "the same" as hers. When I finally saw it I couldn't believe it since her hair was wraps and mine was big pink fluffy dreads. Just goes to show that to the untrained eye all extensions look the same!
telling it like it is!

Deathwish_

Post by Deathwish_ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:32 am

I watch their Christmas song just to admire her dreads. :lol:
Faye's hair was absolutely gorgeous in the Tragedy video! Best wedding hairs ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_XhIi41UJM

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Deathwish_ wrote:

I watch their Christmas song just to admire her dreads. :lol:
Faye's hair was absolutely gorgeous in the Tragedy video! Best wedding hairs ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_XhIi41UJM
Haha, win!

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:30 pm

There are braids galore in Avatar...

I am seriously racking my brain for films in which dreads have appeared... other than the usual films, matrix, POC 1,2 and 3... etc etc..

Still thinkmy fave bad ass dreads gotta be on Predator!!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”