what makes a dread wig sellable?

brandalynn

what makes a dread wig sellable?

Post by brandalynn » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:23 pm

I've been making falls for about 5 years but recently tackled dread wigs. I've made a couple, but was wondering what aspects and attributes decide whether or not they are worth selling? On the first, it was a super cheepo halloween wig with the netting covering the head. The dreads fully cover it and were sewn on. The second was a PO wig with the dreads zip tied on. On the outside they look to be made the same way, but the inside looks a bit different. Does this matter when selling? I would post pics, but my camera and I are in the midst of a disagreement. :i7:
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

sammu

Re: what makes a dread wig sellable?

Post by sammu » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:45 pm

In my experience, the better the wig base, the more likely it will sell. I'd like to be proved wrong with this, but I've never seen a decent looking wig on a cheap party wig (think Tescos, Wal-Mart and various other shops that pop up around Halloween). Most of the ladies here use various Ebay sellers such as Professional Only and Cog_Marc as the material is easy to dread and seals well.

I like my wigs to have a solid, neatly shaped parting with a defining fringe. Dreads should be layered on the wig in a brick lay pattern. There should be more dreads at the top than near the bottom. No gaps, an equal amount of dreads either side. Nothing should be cut off... I've seen a dread wig once where the creator cut away most of the wefts and support... and it looked terrible, to be honest. Nothing bugs me more than a lop-sided wig.

I make mine by backcombing KK into the wig hair, and after that is done, I fill the gaps with SEs or DEs which I've wire-tied on.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Neat and tidy wigs with lots of blends/swirls in exciting (but not over the top) colors seem to work best. Pictures are also a HUGE reason.

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:24 pm

So zip tying and wire tying and such doesn't really lower the value of the wig as long as it looks good, is comfortable to wear and holds up well? If the customer sees the little rings from the zip ties (on the inside of the wig), does that become problematic for anyone?
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:55 pm

brandalynn wrote:So zip tying and wire tying and such doesn't really lower the value of the wig as long as it looks good, is comfortable to wear and holds up well? If the customer sees the little rings from the zip ties (on the inside of the wig), does that become problematic for anyone?

Listen, I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but in only my personal opinion, I believe ziptying or wiring dreads onto a wig makes it of lesser value. I just think it's a less sophisticated way to make a dread wig. Sewing is a better bet, although it takes longer. It looks neater and tidier in the end, and you can more precisely anchor the dread down to the base. At this point, I'm not even sewing extra dreads onto the base--I figured out a way to part and use the wig's hair to attach extra dreads only. I feel this makes a wig which will last longer and is neater all around. How did I figure that out? Making lots and lots of dreadwigs. Although, if the wig is to be SUPER full, sewing in dreads would still be necessary--I guess I just don't make insanely HUGE wigs.

This is ONLY my opinion, so don't take it as gold. Others may feel quite differently from me, which is perfectly fine. Balance all opinions against each other.

sammu

Post by sammu » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:10 pm

Yep, I don't use zip ties at all. It looks messy and unprofessional in my opinion. The more you make wigs, the more you'll get to know what will and what won't make a wig valuable.

As for what you mentioned, VSB, I use thin, flexible garden wire, and I only attach DEs and SEs to fill in any gaps otherwise I don't at all. Though I've learnt how to conceal it. It's much more secure than sewing, from my experience and is invisible both inside and outside of the wig cap. My customers have never complained and I sell wigs frequently, that's for sure. I don't consider it unprofessional as you think it is.

I also think the cut of the fringe matters, too. I've seen so many wigs hacked at and ruined because people can't use a pair of scissors properly. If adding any coloured accents, blend them in using a razor or thinning scissors. I spend forever on my fringes, and I expect wigs that I buy to have decent hair too... I shouldn't have to cut it myself if the seller is incapable of doing it right.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:49 pm

CirqueMachine wrote:
As for what you mentioned, VSB, I use thin, flexible garden wire, and I only attach DEs and SEs to fill in any gaps otherwise I don't at all. Though I've learnt how to conceal it. It's much more secure than sewing, from my experience and is invisible both inside and outside of the wig cap. My customers have never complained and I sell wigs frequently, that's for sure. I don't consider it unprofessional as you think it is.
It does depend on the wiring. Guess I was just picture thick wire used just like a ziptie. I can see thin wire applied properly being quite nice and strong. Kind of like sewing, with wire instead.

sammu

Post by sammu » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:02 pm

What kind of thread do you use, VSB? My sewing knowledge isn't up to scratch but it'd be worth noting for future reference.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:52 am

This double thick sewing machine thread. It's really heavy duty, and I tend to stitch a lot to secure the dread over as a large an area as possible (rather than one tiny spot). I did just get some J needles and weave thread--I've not tried them yet, but it seems like an even better option.

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”