Crochet method.. painful??.. tips please :)

fröst

Crochet method.. painful??.. tips please :)

Post by fröst » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:49 pm

hey all, Im starting a full head of dreads in Dec (during winter break so I can have 2 weeks to work on my dreads) I started a test dread at the back of my head just to see how my hair will lock up and how long it will take. I backcombed it, palm rolled etc. Then I did abit of crocheting, but it was really painful. Like i could feel hair at my scalp pulling, does this happen or is supposed to happen? Am I using too small of a crochet needle? is there any certain way to crochet the hair? Cause I plan to just use a natural way to gain lovely locks. Wax is sick and terrifies me, although I may use a dread perm to tighten abit. Which I hear is harmfull to the hair, but I have pretty healthy hair and I dont dye my hair ever since I wear dread extensions. So any tips on crocheting would be very helpful, along with any advice on dread perms.
Thanks! :)

insanityprincess

Re: Crochet method.. painful??.. tips please :)

Post by insanityprincess » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:06 am

I would say any type of dreading technique is painful, when I got mine put in my scalp hurt for hours and the pain completely subsided after a week or so.

I haven't got the crocheting technique done for actual dreading, but when I touch up my baby dreads it does hurt a little, maybe you have a sensitive scalp? If so I wouldn't recommend dreads ;) You need to have a high pain tolerance and "tough scalp" to keep em in.
Especially if they're long, cause they'll get caught and whatnot!

Maybe someone else has a better reply. I would like to reccommend using a tiny bit of wax just to help keep them in place btw, and use tea tree oil while dreading, takes a lot of the pain out.
Can I pay you in AWESOMENESS?

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:55 pm

Heya it sounds like you are doing the right thing and seriously considering your options ;)

To answer your question, it is usual to experience a little discomfort but I don't believe any of it should be actually painful, beyond a little tenderness to the scalp after the initial dreading. The purpose of the crochet method is to catch in all those little hairs but it shouldn't be tight so maybe you are pulling too hard. A good tip is to knot the loose hairs together by rubbing them between your thumb and fingers before catching them with the hook. It makes it a little easier to do and would remove the need to pull too hard.

I use a crochet needle that is 1.5mm; I find this is narrow enough not to affect the dread but has a large enough hook to work with. Its a personal choice of course, but if you are setting about doing it as naturally as possible, neither a perm or wax is needed. ;)

I would say though, that crocheting your own dreads is difficult, seriously. I can boxbraid, blanket-stitch braid, cornrow and dread my own hair but crocheting my dreads takes practice, patience, and a lot of arm ache. I would enlist the help of somebody else while you are getting to grips with new dreads.

Hope this helps :D
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:03 am

When I first got my hair dreaded- my friend used the crochet technique, it was super uncomfortable. And even still when I do maintenance it's still not a very nice experience :p.
Some people don't like wax, others do. I don't prefer it, but I think it's okay if you just use a wee bit in your dreads.

miss chaotic

Post by miss chaotic » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:05 am

I'm a master at crotcheting my dreads now :) depending on the direction you're pulling your hair it may sometimes be painful... but not all the time, it does tend to pull your hair and you will feel it pulling at the scalp. In all honesty though i wish i never touched a damn crochet hook i'm almost obsessive with it now! I really think no wax and no dread perm is needed to be honest.. just a light palmroll usually does the job! Good luck! Just remember though tight dreads are not instant they take time to mature, but in the end the wait is worth it :)
sometimes i think there's no reason to get out of bed...then i feel wet and realise there is!!

fröst

Post by fröst » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks alot for the advice! Im super stoked to get these dreads started. The one dread I started already is doing good. :) I just palm roll, roll it inbetween my fingers and did abit of crocheting.. althought that was a tough one since its at the back of my head by my neck. Each day it feels more and more tight, i might try some diluted lemon juice spray tonight since i read here that it works nicely with tightening. I also did abit of extending to the dread to test that out and which way will work best for me. And after fiddling with it for 30 minutes its finally secure. :)

So thanks alot for the tips! :D

fröst

Post by fröst » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:09 pm

OKAY! I GAVE IN!! I started them early.. and Im glad I did, I love everything about them and their newness.. and Im super stoked for them to mature. I only did backcombing and palmrolling.. then i did a dread perm which worked wonders at tightening them.. the only downside that I found was my hair smelled like a horny cat.. but its getting better. (thank goodness!) Ill post pictures when I can. and Ill try to find a buddy whos good at crocheting dreads to do some of that. Sadly the only ones i know of are in BC. poo. Thanks loads for the tips! You all made me more and more excited to start my dreads.. so I did. :)

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:26 am

Happy New Dreadlocks!! :D
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

miss chaotic

Post by miss chaotic » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:11 am

yay welcome to the world of dreadies :i2: can't wait to see pics!
sometimes i think there's no reason to get out of bed...then i feel wet and realise there is!!

nothingwhatsoever

Post by nothingwhatsoever » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:02 am

some people say it hurts like a you know what, but mine never really do.. just pulls when i get a few tiny hairs right near my head. maybe you are just a wimp, lol! :i9:

jk. but some people have more sensitive heads than others!!
lain @ nothingwhat . net /visit my web shop and gallery.
nothingwhatsoever's . FB page /find me on crackbook!

nifty?lain/nothingwhat...

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”