Possible East Coast meet?

Please use this area to promote and events taking place of interest, gigs or meet ups!
sinn_ister

Possible East Coast meet?

Post by sinn_ister » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:56 pm

Someone made a post in the London meet showoff saying how cool it would be to have a US meetup too. I've always wanted to do this, and back on the old board the topic would get posted every once in a while, but nobody ever really organized it or replied and it never went anywhere. Soo, I am stepping up to take control of it!

All the girlies from the East Coast are welcome to come! This includes Baltimore, D.C., NYC, Jersey, and Philly and the rest of PA! And of course you are welcome to come from farther away too if you are so inclined. Lurkers are welcome too. I know there's a fair few of us on here, enough to make a meetup fun.

Now I need your input! Reply to this thread if you're interested in coming, possible dates and times within the next couple months when you could make it out, and most importantly, your opinion on where we should meet and what we should do while we're there.

Personally I am leaning more towards NYC, but then Philly might be good too as it's kind of in the middle of the region (plus I won't have to worry about driving :P). I would also be down for clubbing afterwards if we have the meetup in a place with a good club night!

Spooki

Re: Possible East Coast meet?

Post by Spooki » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:59 pm

i'd be interested, but it's unlikely i'd be able to go. working two demanding jobs leaves me with little time for fun. NYC isn't too far... i'd be able to go by train, but i doubt i'd be able to make it out to philly.

Amoura

Post by Amoura » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:25 am

NYC PLEASE. ^_^
~She stepped on Roses and swallowed the Thorns~

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:44 am

I'd always like to, but it would depend on when. I'm in the midwest (KS to be exact) and probably wouldn't be able to afford it for a while.

Rae_Bella

Post by Rae_Bella » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:54 pm

I'd be up for it. Quite far fetched, but I would not mind doing that during spring break, since I am going back home to DC for spring break. Or after this semester. :D

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

I'd love to but living in FL doesn't give me much in the way of travel options, especially coming that far north - A plane ticket would end up costing me close to $200 or driving would take probably 2 days. Not to mention my job, husband etc...
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:11 pm

I'm planning a trip to NYC this fall! But that might be too long for you girlies to wait :( I'm thinking I'll be there in late Sept/early October. If by a longshot it works out, I would LOVE to meet up!

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:56 pm

I'm probly one of the few that has a fairly open schedule and would love to have a fun Spring meet-up. I am partial to Philly not only b/c I live here [and can't drive anywhere else but would take the train if needed], but due to the fact there is a lot of artistic/creative things to do/see, as well as a number of bars/clubs that are interesting.

NYC, while equally fun and all that, is a bit expensive for me.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

dreadstarrs

Post by dreadstarrs » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:41 pm

im so jealous! im all the way down here in stupid hot texas!
when you find yourself on the edge of madness,dive.

** faerie princess **

Kodachi

Post by Kodachi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:10 am

You said Baltimore, that refers to me! When and where?

...Hmmm, Philly would be good for me because it's close. I worry if I go to NYC, I'll have no way back. There's stuff to do in Baltimore tho but I never been to Philly except for once.

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:40 am

Maybe we could have one that is a bit more southernish, too? Somewhere like Oklahoma? Or MO? Missouri has Worlds of Fun and Silver Dollar City which are slightly cheaper amusement parks than some. *ponders* I don't know too much about the more southern states aside from FL

Xavialune

Post by Xavialune » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:57 pm

I'd go. I'm in Maine, but Valerian and I can travel. And I need an excuse to get out of Maine. I really want to meet you guys!

Id be good with Philly.
I <3 The Chameleons

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:04 pm

Xavialune wrote:I'd go. I'm in Maine, but Valerian and I can travel. And I need an excuse to get out of Maine. I really want to meet you guys!

Id be good with Philly.
My hubby is originally from Maine! he's from Lisbon Falls, near Lewiston. Are you anywhere nearby? We go up ever other year for Christmas. It's gorgeous up there, but pretty quite :)

dreadstarrs

Post by dreadstarrs » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Pallidity wrote:Maybe we could have one that is a bit more southernish, too? Somewhere like Oklahoma? Or MO? Missouri has Worlds of Fun and Silver Dollar City which are slightly cheaper amusement parks than some. *ponders* I don't know too much about the more southern states aside from FL
that could be nice. i hate the fact the texas is soooo huge though! it takes at least 5 hrs just to get out of the state,depending on where you are...sigh...

** faerie princess **

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:39 pm

dreadstarrs wrote:
Pallidity wrote:Maybe we could have one that is a bit more southernish, too? Somewhere like Oklahoma? Or MO? Missouri has Worlds of Fun and Silver Dollar City which are slightly cheaper amusement parks than some. *ponders* I don't know too much about the more southern states aside from FL
that could be nice. i hate the fact the texas is soooo huge though! it takes at least 5 hrs just to get out of the state,depending on where you are...sigh...
We have the same problem! maybe we could try somewhere like New Orleans? It's between FL & TX & close to KS...? I don't know if I'd make it but that would definitely work better for me.
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

dreadstarrs

Post by dreadstarrs » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:31 pm

that could be neat. i wouldnt be able to do it anytime soon due to funds...

** faerie princess **

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:34 pm

dreadstarrs wrote:that could be neat. i wouldnt be able to do it anytime soon due to funds...
Yeah, me too. Bummer.
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

dreadfullydivine

Post by dreadfullydivine » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:05 pm

I would definatley be up for a meet in New Orleans since I love that city but I won't be traveling at all this year since I am due in May with our second baby. :i10:
Raising the next generation of future warlords..

atomiklox

Post by atomiklox » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:25 am

I'm with all the other Floridians - staying south would be best, though I'd give my eye teeth to go to NYC! Maybe if all the FL peeps carpooled? :D

New Orleans would be awesome too. Anything truely equidistant on the east coat would put us in Kentucky or Tennessee....Nashville anyone?

I'd be all for a trip if we can pull it together!
Do not go where the path leads, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:45 am

I probably couldn't go much farther south than OK. I have a very sad car, and it takes about 8-10 hours to get from the top of KS to the bottom of OK. But hope you guys get one together anyway! :)

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:01 pm

philly would be good for me
*Manda*

dreadstarrs

Post by dreadstarrs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:56 pm

Pallidity wrote:I probably couldn't go much farther south than OK. I have a very sad car, and it takes about 8-10 hours to get from the top of KS to the bottom of OK. But hope you guys get one together anyway! :)
maybe we can try for somewhere else? i know its going to be a little while due to monies so we have some time to decide. :i9:

** faerie princess **

Xavialune

Post by Xavialune » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Miss Liberty wrote:I'm planning a trip to NYC this fall! But that might be too long for you girlies to wait :( I'm thinking I'll be there in late Sept/early October. If by a longshot it works out, I would LOVE to meet up!
Im in Bangor but I go to Augusta from time to time to visit my parents. Thats not excessively far from Lewiston..

I have to reiterate NYC or Philly. I cant really go much further than that :(
I <3 The Chameleons

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:07 pm

Had to find this thread again so the thought doesn't get lost.

Was checking out a few places to see how friendly they are with having parties and all. There's a cool spot on South Street [here in Philly] that will lend out a room with no charge. It's called Copa and has the total package in terms of tropical themes.

Anywho, since I have nothing but time on my hands, I would be quite willing to help coordinate an event. I understand that it might not be as easy for others, but let's at least get the ball rolling.

What does late April or early May look like for those who expressed interest?

Also, if you are willing to come to Philly, what other things would you like to do? There's tons of fun stores on South Street to keep shoppers entertained so that's definitely covered. It's really easy to travel by subway too if it were to be an all-day event.

Ideas, suggestions and serious interest of having a meet totally appreciated. :D
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Meet ups never work in the US because we're so freaking HUGE. I mean, the UK is roughly 94,000 square miles; the contingent 48 states are a little over 3,500,000 square miles. Michigan ALONE is 96,000 square miles. Doing a US meet up is the equivalent of doing a European meet up--except we don't have a decent train system here.

I'll happily drive 6-8 hours to get somewheres, but no way am I driving 24 hours (that's how long it took my mum to drive from New Orleans to New York. That's actual DRIVE time. So it actually took her about 3 days. 3 days, 9 hours on the road per day. ICK!!!)

We'd really need to do state by state meet ups, or at least section by section. I can't pay $350 for a freaking plane ticket! Like I live in the Gulf South in New Orleans. I can drive to Dallas TX, north to Tennessee or down to Orlando without too much trouble. Beyond that, poop on it.

PS If you are going to do a meet up in New Orleans, make it worth your while! Either plan to go during the weeks of Mardi Gras or Jazz Fest weekends or Voodoo Fest. Mardi Gras day is February 16, 2010--for all you northern snow bunnies it is really nice to get down to NOLA for milder weather in the dead of winter. Jazz Fest 2010 is April/May and spread over 3 weekends; it's usually 80* down here by that time. Voodoo Fest 2010 is always the weekend nearest to Halloween--it's a 3 day concert-a-thon with plenty of spooky themage. I know all those dates are far off, but it's more time to scrape together money money money.

Return to “Events/ gigs/ Meet ups”