About Photobucket - and their terms of use :(

Is someone using someone elses material?
Report suspicious activity here.
dreadviolet

About Photobucket - and their terms of use :(

Post by dreadviolet » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:28 am

Now hands up: who of you did actually read the terms before uploading your pics to photobucket...? :/
Photobucket.com/terms wrote:6. Proprietary Rights in Content on Photobucket.

6.1 Photobucket does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post on or through the Photobucket Services. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Photobucket Services, you hereby grant to Photobucket and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels, except Content marked "private" will not be distributed outside the Photobucket Services. Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content). After you remove your Content from the Photobucket Website we will cease distribution as soon as practicable, and at such time when distribution ceases, the license to such Content will terminate. If after we have distributed your Content outside the Photobucket Website you change the Content’s privacy setting to "private," we will cease any further distribution of such "private" Content outside the Photobucket Website as soon as practicable.
Fake your hair - http://dreadviolet.com/
Dreadviolet Hair Creations & material supplies -
Dreadviolet Livejournal
Dreadviolet @ Facebook
Dreadviolet @ Google+

Pallidity

Re: About Photobucket - and their terms of use :(

Post by Pallidity » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:33 am

:shock:
*makes note to never, ever use them for anything I post again*

I hardly use them because it's so easy to nick photos hosted on there, even when the album is private and it's less easy to change the image to say something amusing when someone steals from the location, but wow. On the one hand it makes sense for them, on the other hand that seems very...generous.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:43 am

Photo Bucket = VERY scary

So if you upload your photos there, they belong to anyone on the planet, regardless of anything. :( BOOOOO!

sammu

Post by sammu » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:28 am

Deviantart had the same policy last time I read it.

Angelaar

Post by Angelaar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:52 pm

Eeek, i never realised, i thought with my album being private it would be ok! Wheres a good place to host pics?

starlight

Post by starlight » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:59 pm

Most video upload sites have similar policies, and many others besides I'm sure.. Usually they just say that you're giving the site permission to use your work however they choose, I didn't realise Photobucket also states OTHER USERS can do what they like..

lustfullocks

Post by lustfullocks » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:13 am

facebook is the same way too.. and even if you delete your account, they still own the rights to your photos that you upload after your account is gone.

Beware of what you put on there ;)
http://www.lustfullocks.com
Dreadfalls, Cyberloxs, combo-locks, DIY hair, accessories, tutorials and more!
FB -http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 1157308260

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:33 am

lustfullocks wrote:facebook is the same way too.. and even if you delete your account, they still own the rights to your photos that you upload after your account is gone.

Beware of what you put on there ;)
Yeah, I remember there being a big thing about how FB had rights to photos of users and could use them to advertise and whatnot, but I thought they edited their terms because of the negative reaction that received?

To be clear, FB owns the rights, it doesn't say others can use them as they please (as far as I'm aware).

BioMekanisk

Post by BioMekanisk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:09 am

I could be lying to myself, but I'm glad in insignificant enough to not have my photos stolen! :lol:
I didnt know that about facebook though. Hmm..

Love Bunny

Post by Love Bunny » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm

WOW !

From now on I am deffinatly going to start reading T's & C's !!!!! :o

x
~Jess ♥

International Secret Sweet & Savoury Swap! Sign Up HERE!

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Myphotoalbum.com is also the same. Other users can print off ur pics if its a 'public album'. I'm sure I heard they can even use ur pics to put on the websites products like mugs, pillows etc butcher I'm not too sure..

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:30 pm

So where to upload pics????

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:35 am

I believe Facebook changed a few things around which does not entitle them to any rights to your images.

http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=831#!/help/?page=439

Lady J

Post by Lady J » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 pm

I think these photo hosting sites just have that to prevent them being sued in case someone steals images and hosts them, it would be impossible for them to operate otherwise. Enough to stop random lawsuits, not enough to clearly transfer copyrights, so no worries really.
Fixing problems with your hair, alopecia and others.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun May 29, 2011 8:11 am

I don't know how it would stand with this, but I remember hearing something a while ago about how even though you click to say you have read the T&C on websites because nobody actually does if there is anything UNREASONABLE in there, then contractually they have to prove that you have read it. So if somebody used your image in a defamatory way then it would be down to pb to prove that you were aware of their right to do so. (This would only apply in cases which have become legal battles)

What a bizarre policy though. I can understand them saying that you give them the rights (not saying i agree), but why then do they feel they need to give the rights to everyone else?
telling it like it is!

Return to “Copyright?”