Hypertext Linking

Is someone using someone elses material?
Report suspicious activity here.
Haylum

Hypertext Linking

Post by Haylum » Sun May 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Hey guys, was wondering if I could get a few opinions on something.

I think I've been accused of copyright violation for posting a link to a tutorial. The link was a simple hypertext link using no images and there was also a link to the homepage of the author to make it crystal clear that I was not the author of the tutorial in question. I've done some research into where I stand on this issue and it's been made pretty clear to me that as I am not reproducing or redistributing anything and am not opening the link in a frame on my own website, copyright doesn't even come into it. The original author was a bit annoyed that I didn't ask for permission, which I can understand, but legally permission isn't needed and I actually thought it might be flattering, as well as sending extra traffic to a site I find to be very helpful when I need a tutorial for myself. I kept being told I was 'using' the tutorial, which simply was not the case; I was just telling people where to find it.

A couple of websites I looked at regarding this:

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/law/st_org ... 40401.html

http://www.law.indiana.edu/fclj/pubs/v4 ... ckson.html

I've removed the link now, not because I've done anything wrong, but because I've obviously upset someone and I really don't want it to be an issue.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Would you be unhappy about someone linking to your site from their own?
Was I wrong to not ask permission?
Haggis McNoodle Synthetic Dreadlocks

Unmentioned Secret Lovechild of the Blue Army and Red Rebellion

[[Violet.Nightmare]]

Re: Hypertext Linking

Post by [[Violet.Nightmare]] » Sun May 10, 2009 1:31 pm

Although you've obviouly done nothing wrong and i would be flattered if it happened to me it probably would be nice in future to ask people for their permission because you never really know if someones going to be flattered of annoyed and it's quicker to ask in the first place than deal with an annoyed writer afterwards.
"Once you cressp you just cant splessp"

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Sun May 10, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah, I will be asking from now on. I just kinda figured there'd be nothing to be annoyed about - it's like giving a thumbs-up to someone's work, y'know?

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun May 10, 2009 4:09 pm

Would it bother me-hell no! it is free advertising! I don't see what their issue is tbh!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon May 11, 2009 4:45 am

I could see how it would be annoying--in some cases. For instance: Sally and Beth both make synth DEs to sell to customers. Sally spent 10 hours working on a tutorial about how to install them; Beth did not. Instead, Beth just links to Sally's install tutorial. Hmmm... it may be legal and it may drive people to Sally's site--but really, the customer has probably already bought from Beth, so it's kind of "piggy backing" on poor Sally.

Seems it would only bother "smaller" places--not big shots though. But I don't know the specifics of your case, so it might well have been perfectly acceptable.

I was going to link to one of TwiggyDevour's faux-hawk tuts she posted on the Heavenly Hair board, but she had so many warnings about moving the thing I just left it the hell alone. I figure if she wants it here, she can put it here.

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Mon May 11, 2009 8:53 am

The piggybacking thing is interesting, and I totally get where you're coming from. If it makes any difference, I couldn't find anything to suggest that the author is currently selling dreads. Their site seems to be focused around providing free tutorials.

I always assumed that if you were to spend ages putting info together on a public website you'd want loads of people to see it. I dunno, I guess I just wanted to let people visiting my site know where they could find a really good tutorial without taking any credit for it. To me it's like a shop owner telling a customer where they can find a cash machine. Crap analogy, I know.

I just wish I'd asked for permission first, but it genuinely did not even occur to me that it would be an issue. I'd feel silly if someone thought they had to ask to link to something that's freely available to anyone with an internet connection.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon May 11, 2009 4:49 pm

It's no fun making enemies though! I do know what you mean about it all being "public." But why not make you own tut on how to install the dreads? Or ask permission from Doc Locks?

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Mon May 11, 2009 6:16 pm

I think I am going to write my own up soon, just because I enjoy writing about things that interest me =]

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Tue May 12, 2009 9:41 am

it seems silly for them to complain, i mean...why write a tutorial that everyone can access and get upset that more people see it....
meh. people are strange :roll:

yay for writing your own though, then nobody can say anything :D
/emmy x

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Tue May 12, 2009 10:14 am

it seems silly for them to complain, i mean...why write a tutorial that everyone can access and get upset that more people see it....
I totally agree, why make a tutorial and then not want people to use and share it. Fair enough if it was work based etc etc, but you only posted a link to be helpful, and took no credit for the work that was done.

I, personally would be very flattered if people linked in my work, or tutorials.. FREE ADVERTISING!!!!

Weird one!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Thu May 14, 2009 7:53 am

If it's a free site the author might be worried about bandwidth issues. Too much traffic and the site flops for however long the host determines.

That's the only reason I can think of to get weird over it, though. If you post a link directing people to the site then you aren't doing anything wrong UNLESS you took all of the images and text and posted them elsewhere, in which case you would be screwing with the bandwidth.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun May 17, 2009 9:14 am

that;s really very odd. If I had written a tutorial the purpose would be for others to see it, and the more people that saw it the better, so long as they were seeing it on my site.

I don't understand what she is upset about.

I think sometimes on the internet people just assume someone must be wronging them.
telling it like it is!

Return to “Copyright?”