Hair Chart Theft

Is someone using someone elses material?
Report suspicious activity here.
Freaky_Ferret

Hair Chart Theft

Post by Freaky_Ferret » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Hullo there. So I just wanted to let people know something. Someone has stolen LeperQueen's color chart for KK. And they've done it in a very sneaky way. They took a screen snapshot of it. I don't know who originally did it, but a couple chicks have been trying to sell dreads on my selling cult on a different site, using it. Just thought I'd let people know what was up, I'm currently trying to find where this chart came from since I don't know if this is the girl that stole it or if she got it from somewhere else.

Proof:
my own screen shot of the chart

The pic they are using:

I have already alerted LeperQueen about this, but maybe others have seen it floating around and we can find who stole it and make them take it down?
Perverted Panda's Corsets and Cosplay
My Business, check it out
Sincerely,
~Jessie

rivetlicker_

Re: Hair Chart Theft

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:32 pm

LeperQueen (I Kick Shins) says anyone can use her colour chart providing that they link back to her site.
If the person doesn't put the link there, then they're in trouble!

Freaky_Ferret

Post by Freaky_Ferret » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:34 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:LeperQueen (I Kick Shins) says anyone can use her colour chart providing that they link back to her site.
I know that, that's what I'm saying though. They're trying to by-pass her rule by instead of taking the coding from the chart, just taking a screen snapshot, and no, they aren't linking back to her.
Sincerely,
~Jessie

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:37 pm

Freaky_Ferret wrote:
rivetlicker_ wrote:LeperQueen (I Kick Shins) says anyone can use her colour chart providing that they link back to her site.
I know that, that's what I'm saying though. They're trying to by-pass her rule by instead of taking the coding from the chart, just taking a screen snapshot, and no, they aren't linking back to her.
Sorry, it's late, I'm tired and I don't know what I'm talking about!

Message the person and tell them.

Freaky_Ferret

Post by Freaky_Ferret » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:14 pm

I have, just seeing of anyone else has seen it around or if it was just that girl.
Sincerely,
~Jessie

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:28 pm

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't have much integrity and choose to steal my images without giving credit. It will probably be tought to track them down because there are so many people who do the same thing. They seem to think that using a screenshot instead of saving the individual images somehow exempts them from copyright law :(
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Freaky_Ferret

Post by Freaky_Ferret » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:38 pm

ikickshins wrote:Unfortunately, a lot of people don't have much integrity and choose to steal my images without giving credit. It will probably be tought to track them down because there are so many people who do the same thing. They seem to think that using a screenshot instead of saving the individual images somehow exempts them from copyright law :(
I feel stupid, ust realized that on here you actually go by ikickshins :i9: oops. Anyhoo, least we can catch one at a time. It's something that's better than nothing :i2:
Sincerely,
~Jessie

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:34 pm

I have to say, if I was going to use any color chart out there without crediting anyone, it'd be yours =P My camera is incapable of picking up half of the colors accurately, so it's easier to use your images, though I've linked to your chart of course. Maybe if you made the color chart way off the mark no one would have any interest in using it! :P

On a serious note, though, it does seem to be the most-nicked chart I've come across. Maybe you could put some sort of logo on each photo to help prevent it? I know a lot of people would just start cropping, but for anyone that is lazy and didn't want to do that for every picture, you'd have a deterrant to stealing the chart.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:48 pm

Freaky_Ferret wrote:I feel stupid, ust realized that on here you actually go by ikickshins :i9: oops. Anyhoo, least we can catch one at a time. It's something that's better than nothing :i2:
I was LeperQueen on the old HH board so I think most people will still know what you mean. And I'm still LeperQueen on DTBD too :)
Pallidity wrote:Maybe you could put some sort of logo on each photo to help prevent it? I know a lot of people would just start cropping, but for anyone that is lazy and didn't want to do that for every picture, you'd have a deterrant to stealing the chart.
lol, that same laziness is part of why I haven't watermarked anything thus far ;P
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:22 am

Sarah, you are like the goddess of fake hair.
Stop being lazy and watermark your pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll hassle you til you do!

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:54 am

How about you do my homework, and then I'LL do the watermarks. That idea sounds like 10 times more fun :P

dreadviolet

Post by dreadviolet » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:21 am

ikickshins wrote:How about you do my homework, and then I'LL do the watermarks. That idea sounds like 10 times more fun :P
Hehe. I've got the same problem. And the same not-lazy-but-busyness. :ugeek:
Fake your hair - http://dreadviolet.com/
Dreadviolet Hair Creations & material supplies -
Dreadviolet Livejournal
Dreadviolet @ Facebook
Dreadviolet @ Google+

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:33 pm

ikickshins wrote:How about you do my homework, and then I'LL do the watermarks. That idea sounds like 10 times more fun :P
*Cough* :P

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:35 pm

I don't know that you would want to watermark every color tile. I think the reason your chart is so great is because you get such a nice, relatively big chunk of color to stare at. Watermarking each one would cut down on the valuable viewing area. Also, if the watermark is a certain color, it could skew the look of the hair. for example, an orange-ish watermark might make pink shades look a little more orange based. A green one could skew the blues, etc.

Even though I'm familiar with the colors on the chart in real life, I still stare at it from time to time to decide on new sets. I agree it sucks that people steal you chart and not give you credit, but I think watermarking each individual color would compromise why the chart works so well.

Just my two cents....

Freaky_Ferret

Post by Freaky_Ferret » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:53 pm

Her water marks would probably be clear, just a plain shadow type mark. Though I don't really know, I would assume that's what you'd want so as to not skew the colors.
Sincerely,
~Jessie

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:21 pm

Miss Liberty wrote:I don't know that you would want to watermark every color tile. I think the reason your chart is so great is because you get such a nice, relatively big chunk of color to stare at. Watermarking each one would cut down on the valuable viewing area. Also, if the watermark is a certain color, it could skew the look of the hair. for example, an orange-ish watermark might make pink shades look a little more orange based. A green one could skew the blues, etc.

Even though I'm familiar with the colors on the chart in real life, I still stare at it from time to time to decide on new sets. I agree it sucks that people steal you chart and not give you credit, but I think watermarking each individual color would compromise why the chart works so well.

Just my two cents....
That's the other big reason that I don't watermark the color charts. I spent a lot of time making my chart because the other ones out there (at the time, like 2006), all had really tiny pictures that just weren't sufficient. I don't even like color charts that have the color name written on the actual swatches.

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Yeah, I don't like those either. I think it'd be the only way to avoid the theft as much, though. I was thinking more along the lines of something like the girl you use for your website and whatnot poking up in the corner, though, instead of IKICKSHINS.NET written all over them. But then again, the girl wouldn't really be much of a deterrant unless there was your business name written on it I suppose.

Return to “Copyright?”