Photo Theft

Is someone using someone elses material?
Report suspicious activity here.
Couture_Coiffure

Photo Theft

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:43 am

I should be in bed right now but am far too upset and a tad livid at the whole situation.

To keep things brief but informative, during the time my ex and I were together, we had several performances where we were photographed. Said images were meant to be displayed on a MySpace page for our two person troupe. Some were taken by other people who gave permition for them to be used on the page.

As a point of note, I was the owner of this business, having created the name and everything that went along with it, i.e. building the MySpage page, doing promotions, booking the gigs, etc. I even introduced him to a whole bunch of people that want nothing to do with me but will be friends with him [which is an entirely different issue and sorry that I had to bring it up, but this is just an example of the extent of damage having dated him has caused me].

I can totally deal with that last part, even if I feel as tho in this industry, it seems like it's who you know not what you can do that gets you places, and integrity means little of anything any more.

What irks me to no end is the photo theft. I know that I can harass MySpace and ask the photos be removed, but I feel that this would be difficult due to the fact that they are digital and not hard copy so would have an issue proving them to be mine, and that no action would be taken.

Some of these photos also appear on another profile, so obviously he feels that he can freely use them. You can even even see me [or parts of me] in a couple of these photos.

The BEST part is, that he obtained these photos by literally stealing them from me. At the time we were dating, I had Windows re-installed, and so saved all my files [including photos] to a couple of disks, which he felt were rightfully his when we broke up. Ridiculous, I know, but I never said anything b/c I had been hoping to just move on and not have to think about him at all.

As hurtful as the other things he has done are, this is the one I know I can do something about, but I just don't know what.

Help? :(
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

faticeira

Re: Photo Theft

Post by faticeira » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:26 pm

This needs to be posted in Copyright section, moving it there now.

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Well, I had a lot of trouble dealing with myspace and getting them to help me out when someone started using my pictures (I began spamming every help/contact section they had after a week of no action), but all I had to have was a salute with my myspace url and friend id and they got rid of the photos.

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:18 pm

That's just the thing, these are photos of him, which is why he feels he can use them. I knew I should have put watermarks on them but totally didn't think that this would happen. However, there were a few pics I did mark, which oddly enough are not being used at all.

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:48 am

If he's in them and you didn't take the pictures, how is it photo theft then? My ex has some pictures up that were taken in my bedroom that he nicked off of a profile of mine, but since I didn't take them and I'm not in them, and since he isn't claiming to have taken them, there isn't anything major besides some irksome feelings when I look at them. I don't think it sounds like your ex is technically committing photo theft aside from the original event of stealing the pictures, but since you two were together and they were taken at a joint event he has equal claim to them as you do, I'd think.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:03 am

The person who took the pictures is the one who owns the copyright, not any of the people in them (unless some other agreement has been worked out with the photographer).
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:26 am

ikickshins wrote:The person who took the pictures is the one who owns the copyright, not any of the people in them (unless some other agreement has been worked out with the photographer).
Thank you.

I thought I had mentioned in the original post that I had taken most of the photos that he has stolen. Sorry for that confusion. They are the ones that I would appreciate were not used.

I don't care what he does with photos other people have taken, tho I would prefer that he would not use the ones that were taken during the time we performed together. I mean, you can see me in some of them.

Wrote a message to the admins at BodyMod [dot] org and waiting to see what they have to say.

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 am

Hrm. I think you have to have a copyright on the images, though? I'm not really sure about that, but if you just took the pictures then I don't believe they would be protected under any kind of copyright laws unless you have a copyright you work under and/or got each image copyrighted. But again, I'm not so sure.

guest123

Post by guest123 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:22 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:00 am

stinamoo - Thanks for the input. :)

Have not heard back from the admin at BodyMod [dot] org and really would prefer not to start a p**** contest with the ex by sending him a message.

I am currently in the process of making sure *all* of my work from now on is copyrighted. To be honest, I am thankful that I have not had such a problem [as many of the girls here have] and mostly the reason I never thought to watermark anything.

Hopefully the situation can be resolved without a whole lot of bs and whatnot.

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 am

Watermarks are a pretty quick and easy deterrant to photo takers, at least when it comes to uploaded media. :) Fraid hard copies are a bit different, though.

sammu

Post by sammu » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:06 pm

Pallidity wrote:Watermarks are a pretty quick and easy deterrant to photo takers, at least when it comes to uploaded media. :) Fraid hard copies are a bit different, though.
Hmm... it's a deterrent for most people, but I quickly found my blue chunky dreads on another website, even though it said "For use only at hairextensionsforum.com" written on it... :roll:

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:37 pm

CirqueMachine wrote:
Pallidity wrote:Watermarks are a pretty quick and easy deterrant to photo takers, at least when it comes to uploaded media. :) Fraid hard copies are a bit different, though.
Hmm... it's a deterrent for most people, but I quickly found my blue chunky dreads on another website, even though it said "For use only at hairextensionsforum.com" written on it... :roll:
:lol:

Icky-nay

Post by Icky-nay » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:50 am

Watermarks are easily cropped and/or edited in photoshop. Unfortunate, but working in graphic design I see a LOT of copyrighted photos that have no business being on other sites. The best deterrant is no-right-click. Second best, for at home photo-scalpers is big and black over a not-so-easily croppable portion of the photo, ie right on the flesh or a shimmering article of clothing with hard-to-duplicate lighting effects, etc.

deadteddys

Post by deadteddys » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:32 pm

I usually stick my watermark right in the way of what the photograph is, ex. over the dreads if thats what im photographing.
Makes it hard to edit out :)

hokumdeadfall

Post by hokumdeadfall » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 am

I am a photographer, and I have had trouble over people stealing my images recently; more specifically some of my gig photography. What made me even more angry was that my watermarks were editted out, and then said images were then uploaded into a Facebook folder where they was no credit given to me what-so-ever

So I sent a suitably 'nasty' message to the offending person, giving them the choice of creditting me or deleting them (and they obviously didn't like the tone of my message, and thus deleted them); good thing is now, I sent a message out to my photography group on Facebook, and people are now on the lookout :D

I'm a strange person, and I'm not too happy about putting watermarks over big chunks of my work as I like people to see my images how they should look, especially as I am now selling some of my work, I feel being able to see everything is important.

I go with the logic that people should at least ask before using my images though.

Talking to a friend, who's had the same problems, he suggested using invisible watermarks to proove that the images are yours

http://princess-of-shadows.deviantart.c ... l-78302758 and if you cant get your head around that, theres more on DA :) thing is, no matter how I try, I cant get it to work

If you can, please show me :)

The thing about copyright, since the 70's is that the person who took the photograph owns the copyright, not the model! This is why copyright is such big business
Addicted to JUICE
~
Dude, I think you just killed the Hula Hoops

Return to “Copyright?”