There's a fine line...

Is someone using someone elses material?
Report suspicious activity here.
corpseesproc

There's a fine line...

Post by corpseesproc » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Between inspiration and copying I think.
Then sometimes someone isn't even remotely in the right lol
Do you think it's o.k to make money off someone else's designs? I'm not talking about using someone else's photos in this case, or it being quite similar. But buying something copying it stitch for stitch then sticking your label on it.
I really don't get how people can think it's ok :s
I've made things then noticed they were quite similar to ther things before but they were pretty generic like oh, my plain stretchy hotpants look like every other pair of plain stretchy hotpants ever made :)
But that's to be expected.
Im sure lip service have ripped other designers off.
But isn't the little guy usually the one who gets ripped off rather than does the ripping
Err it's too big lol here's a link XD
http://hphotos-iad1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 7540_o.jpg

Can you see any difference to the drastik plastik pleated mini?
It's not the only thing copied either, the bustiers etc, some battery organic copies the list goes on.
I want to put it on you thoug we wouldn't notice tbh
I've got one sat next to me and I can't, other than the colour and the label.
If this post is bad in anyway please admins, delete/ fix (I'm never good at telling if what I've written is o.k or out of line)
I don't think it is?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleFusion
Bubble Fusion has an etsy!

Couture_Coiffure

Re: There's a fine line...

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:21 am

Am a bit confused.

Are you saying someone ripped off the Lip Service design and are selling it as their own unique product, or is it the other way around?
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

MissLove

Post by MissLove » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:59 pm

I dont know how someone can even call them selves a designer. unless they are designing! X

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:22 pm

While they may not be much of a designer, there isn't really anyway to copyright or trademark clothing designs. So even if someone is COPYING, there isn't anything anyone can do, legally. It sucks, but that's the way it goes. :/

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:39 pm

What Gromidez said is sadly very true
Some items are very obviously copies, and sometimes things are similar but not a direct copy
It causes a LOT of bad blood between independant designers who make and sell similar products, and therefore a lot of bad blood between potential customers

Copying is wrong and shows a lack of creativity and respect for your fellow designers
Creating a 'similar' product, but of your own design, is not wrong but sadly some designers see it this way

At the end of the day, everyone has to take inspiration from somewhere, but you make it your own!

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Right. And the fact is that chances are nothing is ever put together in the same way. So, even if a designer is able to trademark their pattern and exact construction methods, all you'd have to do it put it together differently and you're golden.

However, I will say that if someone sees an item (at a store for instance) and likes the silhouette, the drape, the colors, whatever. But can't afford the price tag and decides to make their own as close as they can, I think it does show a sense of creativity when someone only has a picture to work off of and can figure out how to create it themselves. Usually, it will be different in a few ways, and maybe even better for that person (they prefer long sleeves to short, etc). I don't think it automatically means that someone is uncreative and a criminal copier.

But as it was said, there is a fine line between inspiration and a copy. I just try not to be so harsh with that line.

corpseesproc

Post by corpseesproc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:38 pm

Hmmm I do see what you mean, and I'm completely fine with making a copy of something for myself if I can't afford it.
I just wouldn't ever try to market and sell it as my own design iykwim
But then I have that girl code thing (don't go were your friends have been or want to go)
I don't use the term copy lightly.
It's only due to the fact everything I've seen from this certain person has bee pretty much exactly the same.
If it was one item I'd not be so harsh at all.
I just wouldn't ever want people to think that of me so make sure everything I make is at least from an original pattern I've drawn myself.
Taking small parts is inspiration I think.

And phexxie sorry your corset is sat at mine almost finished I just had this mad order to finish and then got food poisoning and broke up with my bf. but I'm planning to finish it within the next couple of days :(
I want to see it on you! :)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleFusion
Bubble Fusion has an etsy!

Return to “Copyright?”