Style Me Someone!!

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Becca

Style Me Someone!!

Post by Becca » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:40 pm

Ok not too sure where this go, so mods please move/delete if there's a problem!

Basically I'm going through a bit of a hair crisis and need some advice on what to do! My hair used to look like this for years: (bad xmas photo sorry!)

It was layered like this for about 4 years and I got a fringe about 1 year ago...really liked it, but when it got long (bit like this pic) I wasn't very happy with it, and I got fed up of the same style.

Then I spontaneously went and got my hair chopped off (not very clever.) I just went to my hairdresser's when my mum was getting her's cut, found a picture and said "Cut mine like that." It was short and *kinda* asymmetrical, but it looked so bad I got the dreads in pretty quickly!! This is a photo of the "good" side..

So then I got it evened up, and when it grew I hated how it looked..so I went for a more elfin cut, hoping it would look more like Katie Holmes' new do.

Anyway it now looks like this: eugh it looks even worse in photos :S

(hasn't been styled but it looks pretty much like that and I only use wax sometimes)

Image <-- was styled, but then it got very windy and wet xD

And I really don't like it- not sure if it's the style, length etc but I just wanted people's opinions on what I should do with it! I know I'll prob have to wait till it grows a bit...hmm. I find it so much easier to have short hair but I've never had it this short before and can't get used to it- I also kinda feel less feminine, but it might be cos I'm used to having lots of hair to hide behind!

Opinions/Thoughts and any colour ideas are all welcome!
Last edited by Becca on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

absolutebrutal

Re: Style Me Someone!!

Post by absolutebrutal » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:50 pm

if it were me - i would keep the fringe as it is (cos it looks great) and i'd style all of the back into a short of choppy, ruffled look. if that makes any sense to you? like a bed-head style. i think those types of looks are very sexy. and it'll look good as it grows too, until you can get it to a length to have some shape cut into it.
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

Becca

Post by Becca » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:55 pm

absolutebrutal wrote:if it were me - i would keep the fringe as it is (cos it looks great) and i'd style all of the back into a short of choppy, ruffled look. if that makes any sense to you? like a bed-head style. i think those types of looks are very sexy. and it'll look good as it grows too, until you can get it to a length to have some shape cut into it.

Thanks :) yeah I love having a fringe, I need to get some decent wax as the stuff I've got (which is meant to be a bed head kinda stuff) just makes it look crusty :S Any thoughts on how long I should have it/styles? I'm so lost :|

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:02 pm

i have real trouble finding a good hair wax too!

deffo keep the fringe 'swept' to one side. it looks rad. and the colour is good too. when i've gone for the bed head style i've always just got myself a decent hair product (but as i say, i have trouble finding any that i love so i can't help you there) and just gone wild. not too much wax/gel though. just mess with it until you like how it looks i'd say.

big = good - but that's just MY preference, hehe.
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

Becca

Post by Becca » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:51 pm

absolutebrutal wrote:i have real trouble finding a good hair wax too!

deffo keep the fringe 'swept' to one side. it looks rad. and the colour is good too. when i've gone for the bed head style i've always just got myself a decent hair product (but as i say, i have trouble finding any that i love so i can't help you there) and just gone wild. not too much wax/gel though. just mess with it until you like how it looks i'd say.

big = good - but that's just MY preference, hehe.

thanks for that hun, I'll give it a go! :D

zombie

Post by zombie » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:31 am

You might be having troubles with the lenght...
I had mine chopped off and I had the same feeling (I still do).

Maybe get a mohawk and then just wait til your hair gets longer :)
Slaughter is the best medicine.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:59 am

If you went to a good afro salon they could probably convince your hair into corn rows :) that's something WAY different. I agree with most people above, deffo KEEP THE FRINGE. It looks awesome just like that. Maybe think about doing a Mullet style! You could even try it now if only you could find someone that can do microring extensions.

It'd also be great, with the way your hair is now, to do some raccoon tail style clip in wefts. You could order them to match the color in your fringe and wear them at/near your temples. They would be longer than your natural hair and add some "framing" to your face. Then just scruff up the back hard core with some mousse (my fav is by Herbal Essence). Whala, a style that's deffo different than where you're natural hair is now :)

[Tank]

Post by [Tank] » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:12 pm

VixenSingsBlack wrote:If you went to a good afro salon they could probably convince your hair into corn rows :) that's something WAY different. I agree with most people above, deffo KEEP THE FRINGE. It looks awesome just like that. Maybe think about doing a Mullet style! You could even try it now if only you could find someone that can do microring extensions.

It'd also be great, with the way your hair is now, to do some raccoon tail style clip in wefts. You could order them to match the color in your fringe and wear them at/near your temples. They would be longer than your natural hair and add some "framing" to your face. Then just scruff up the back hard core with some mousse (my fav is by Herbal Essence). Whala, a style that's deffo different than where you're natural hair is now :)
EXACTLY what I was going to say.
The 'coon tails at the front sound like an excellent idea.
I personally think the cut's really cute, but it'd be cuter with a bit of framing for the face like Vixen said.
The colour's great though, really great :D. And if that's your natural colour you're so lucky!
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:07 pm

[Tank] wrote:
VixenSingsBlack wrote:If you went to a good afro salon they could probably convince your hair into corn rows :) that's something WAY different. I agree with most people above, deffo KEEP THE FRINGE. It looks awesome just like that. Maybe think about doing a Mullet style! You could even try it now if only you could find someone that can do microring extensions.

EXACTLY what I was going to say.
The 'coon tails at the front sound like an excellent idea.
I personally think the cut's really cute, but it'd be cuter with a bit of framing for the face like Vixen said.
The colour's great though, really great :D. And if that's your natural colour you're so lucky!
Aww thanks guys!
I've wanted 'coon tail extensions for aaages, but I'm not really sure what colours to get as my fringe is a mix of colours that changes when I redye it, and the brown is probably as natural as it's gonna get to my real colour! I haven't dyed it in a while..
Yeah I def need some hair to frame my face, I feel bald! lol. I had to get some passport pics today so I'll put that pic up as it's a proper profile pic.
Looking at my old passport-type photos makes me a bit happier about having it shorter!

Becca

Post by Becca » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:14 pm

zombie wrote:You might be having troubles with the lenght...
I had mine chopped off and I had the same feeling (I still do).

Maybe get a mohawk and then just wait til your hair gets longer :)

I keep trying to style it into a mini hawk but then it just goes all flat...I need to find some super strong stuff!

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:30 pm

I'd opt for a bit more length on the sides to frame your face. I'd go for some 8" human hair that you could stitch/glue onto clips. That way, you could have your asymetrical (and it will never be grown out) or you could do an a-line or etc. etc.

But definately style it up all choppy-like. The fringe is super cute!!
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:08 pm

doclocks wrote:I'd opt for a bit more length on the sides to frame your face. I'd go for some 8" human hair that you could stitch/glue onto clips. That way, you could have your asymetrical (and it will never be grown out) or you could do an a-line or etc. etc.

But definately style it up all choppy-like. The fringe is super cute!!

thanks :D I just ordered some human hair extensions (the 'coon tail style that the others were suggesting) which I can cut to the right size :) but yeah I'm gonna leave it to grow a little bit!

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”