Wanting to 'fix' peoples hair?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
madebs666

Wanting to 'fix' peoples hair?

Post by madebs666 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:44 pm

I don't know wether it's just me, but I see people with hair extensions really badly installed all the time.

Like clip in extensions that are completely the wrong colour, or glued in extensions that are falling out or installed so close to the persons hairline that they are just poking out and make them look a little like the person has scabs....

There was this poor girl I saw gettting on my bus the other day and she had a little bald patch on one side, and I could see the tracks of weft that were glued into her hair around her head, it was fairly obvious it was an install gone wrong, and all the glue was falling off. The worst part is that the weft that was left was so thin it was almost non existent. I'm thinking maybe she thought it looked awful and tried to start pulling it out and some of her hair went with it >_<

Sometimes I just wish I had the money to open a shop in my home town, I'd like to think I could do a much better job, for a much cheaper price than many so called extensionists in normal hair salons.

Anyone get this feeling?

BossyLibraryLady

Re: Wanting to 'fix' peoples hair?

Post by BossyLibraryLady » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:06 pm

Only once. I was up at the local shops and a girl from the hairdresser in the centre had an amazingly bad strand-by-strand install; it was so obvious that I could spot it from the opposite side of the food court (a good 20 metres away). I didn't dare go closer to see whether it was microrings or fusion, but the 'stringiness' of the individual strands and the mushroom head she had going on was embarassing to look at. :|

sammu

Post by sammu » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:02 am

One layer of 24" weft a "real" head of hair does not make.

Women of Chav/Scenedom, take note.

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:39 am

Ooooh I see so many awful extensions working in a shopping centre. But I find myself far more with the urge to give people advice about their awful dye job/the overall condition of their hair. I want to give them a few pointers on colour and a conditioner recommendation!
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

BeautifullyChaotic

Post by BeautifullyChaotic » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:09 am

I'm terrible about it.

It's worse because I also do natural dreadlock services, and I see far too many natural dreads w hich haven't been properly maintained (like washed or separated).

It hurts my heart.
Teri

The Business Blog for the Young and Crafty
More Than Lemonade - http://morethanlemonade.com

Cool Hair for Cool People Since 2000
Beautifully Chaotic Designs - http://beautifullychaotic.net

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:55 am

I can always tell when someone has extensions, which annoys me because it could be done very well but all I can stare at is where their natural hair ends :roll: that's my fault for being too observant though. There are some really bad cases around here. A lot of girls here wear 30cm wide wefts around their head as extensions (think scene kid hair - thin and ridiculously fake looking). It's even worse that they tend to go for the shiny synthetic stuff in several shades too light. It looks terrible and the weft is always poking out :|

Then there are the women who assume that because their hair is snapping off because they've bleached it too much, that they should get extensions glued in. Glued in very badly, I should say, with the extensions poking out in all directions and the glue very visible. I'd feel sorry for them if they didn't brag about how great they look.

I can't really complain though because I've given up using straighteners and hence my hair usually looks really boofy and generally quite bad lol. When it was straightened, I'd get a lot of questions regarding where I got my "extensions" done and how much it cost, that annoyed me a little. Especially when they refused to believe that someone would grow their hair long and proceed to try to pull my hair out..
More human than human

RevaM1ssP1ss

Post by RevaM1ssP1ss » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:47 am

iamtheparty wrote:Ooooh I see so many awful extensions working in a shopping centre. But I find myself far more with the urge to give people advice about their awful dye job/the overall condition of their hair. I want to give them a few pointers on colour and a conditioner recommendation!
I agree, I find more people who did a poor job dying the hair, or just some people who don't seem to have washed it in a month... or dyed it so much that it looks like straw.
^___^

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:53 am

ooh I understand this!

the thing that gets me is falls that have been put in either too low or with the bloody ponytale poking through!

I see it all the time at Whitby Goth weekend and it makes me mad! It used to annoy me more when they wearing falls that I had sold to them from my stall!

In the end I offered to put them in for people when they bought them so they could see how to wear them and put them in properly!

I too don't like seeing the 'chunks' tht are hair extenstions on chavvy women!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:24 am

Oh god, I know this one too well! I also do dread maintenance and its all I can do not to give them a flyer. I don't though, unless they ask me about my hair. My pet hate is synth dreads installed on a centre parting, causing a 'Mcdonalds arch' effect but i also fight the urge to just start taking out those nasty straggy loose extensions that were done with cheap materials and are way past their time to come out.

I live in an ethnically diverse area and have worked in the hair supply shops that everyone uses so, even at best, I find myself identifying what style/colour/brand they are wearing. And I mentally match up colours to those who aren't. :roll:

I do think though, that after so many years dealing with hair, I can spot an extension job a mile off. Even the best, most natural ones. If I see a gorgeous head of hair, I'm instantly looking for the join. :lol:
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:44 am

woolhairhabit wrote:I can spot an extension job a mile off. Even the best, most natural ones. If I see a gorgeous head of hair, I'm instantly looking for the join. :lol:
Yup, this is what I tried and failed to say in my post :lol:
More human than human

PostModernistTrash

Post by PostModernistTrash » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:27 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:My pet hate is synth dreads installed on a centre parting, causing a 'Mcdonalds arch' effect...
This. This SO MUCH it hurts!

lurker

Post by lurker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:57 pm

I have terrible hair - it's dry and frizzy from too much dye, I never condition and it was really badly cut by my sister because I'm cheap, so I really can't slag other people. Visible glue/track/micro-rings don't bother me.

However, two things really get my goat, and thankfully I've never been guilty of them:
1) people who don't disguise their real hair when wearing falls. I'm sorry, but if you have brown hair and black and green dreads hanging from your ponytail, doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of falls?
2) natural dreads that are completely drowned in wax and are never washed. Yuck.

sammu

Post by sammu » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:04 pm

PostModernistTrash wrote:
woolhairhabit wrote:My pet hate is synth dreads installed on a centre parting, causing a 'Mcdonalds arch' effect...
I kinda don't get that.

I have a centre part and I see no effect you speak of. :| Can I see an example?

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:31 pm

lurker wrote:
However, two things really get my goat, and thankfully I've never been guilty of them:
1) people who don't disguise their real hair when wearing falls. I'm sorry, but if you have brown hair and black and green dreads hanging from your ponytail, doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of falls?
This also annoys me. I know if I said anything I would be accused of being stuck up etc but I have seen it so many times when clubbing. I don't know what possesses them to do it...as you say, it defeats the object. Each to their own I guess, but it can look so bad! Unless its colour matched. Blonde hair with pastel or whatever falls for example is fine.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:01 pm

PostModernistTrash wrote:
woolhairhabit wrote:
My pet hate is synth dreads installed on a centre parting, causing a 'Mcdonalds arch' effect...

I kinda don't get that.

I have a centre part and I see no effect you speak of. Can I see an example?
It doesn't seem to happen on everybody but on some it just creates a strange 'm' shape that I personally dislike. I'm not posting pics as I don't wish to poke at other peoples' work that they are happy with but I'm sure if you looked hard enough you would find what I mean.

I'm not saying that its done wrong or that others shouldn't do it, just that I don't like it and it would be something I'd definitely avoid. Each to their own and all of that!
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:42 pm

i live near Liverpool, UK, and hair extensions are SOOOOOO in right now with the chavvy girls

i quite like going into Liverpool town, just so i can poke fun at the absolute trash that gets paraded around

bad colour matching is probably the most common issue, as well as a completely obvious 'shelf' between extensions and real hair, visible tracks and bonds

ohh, and the best...
24" BROWN thin extensions on short BLONDE hair
how does that work???

it does my head in, me and my mum did our first micro ring install a few weeks back on my head and didnt have one problem with it
if i had the guts i would say something to these girls... but im scared they would beat me up :lol:

linziloop

Post by linziloop » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:45 pm

[Phexxie] wrote:i live near Liverpool, UK, and hair extensions are SOOOOOO in right now with the chavvy girls

i quite like going into Liverpool town, just so i can poke fun at the absolute trash that gets paraded around

bad colour matching is probably the most common issue, as well as a completely obvious 'shelf' between extensions and real hair, visible tracks and bonds

ohh, and the best...
how does that work???

it does my head in, me and my mum did our first micro ring install a few weeks back on my head and didnt have one problem with it
if i had the guts i would say something to these girls... but im scared they would beat me up :lol:

I live in Liverpool too! There certainly is a fashion for it and somebody out there is making a fortune doing bad installs. Those topped off with the orange fake tan and absolute lack of imagination in clothing makes me feel like im walking through a city of clones (clones with severe mutations in their brains!).
http://www.linziloop.etsy.com, http://www.linziloop.folksy.com - dreads, accessories, graphic design, jewellery and soon - clothing! All hand made with love, in Liverpool, UK.

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:34 pm

linziloop wrote:
[Phexxie] wrote:i live near Liverpool, UK, and hair extensions are SOOOOOO in right now with the chavvy girls

ohh, and the best...
how does that work???

I live in Liverpool too! There certainly is a fashion for it and somebody out there is making a fortune doing bad installs. Those topped off with the orange fake tan and absolute lack of imagination in clothing makes me feel like im walking through a city of clones (clones with severe mutations in their brains!).
hehehe, maybe we should make it our mission to weed out this terrible extensionist and beat them around the head a bit... then teach 'em how to do it properly!
you can so tell they all shop in St Johns.... lol

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:18 am

I see people at my college quite often with horrible Elysee stars in bright colours, installed in huge sections of BROWN hair with hair poking out everywhere. it upsets me somewhat.
I'd never have the heart to say anything as I thought I looked ace with my pink and white roving in my purple and blond hair (noooo!) I just hope they see the errors of their ways one day ;)

in terms of weft, don't get me started! the horrible little scene queens that prance around my college thinking they're all that with their scraggly plastic shiney wefts that are half hanging out. *shudder*
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:39 am

lurker wrote: However, two things really get my goat, and thankfully I've never been guilty of them:
this makes me insane! i either want to beat them or shave their heads so they can wear falls that dont match their hair in the slightest.
*Manda*

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:35 am

kikky_lou wrote:I see people at my college quite often with horrible Elysee stars in bright colours, installed in huge sections of BROWN hair with hair poking out everywhere. it upsets me somewhat.
I'd never have the heart to say anything as I thought I looked ace with my pink and white roving in my purple and blond hair (noooo!) I just hope they see the errors of their ways one day ;)

in terms of weft, don't get me started! the horrible little scene queens that prance around my college thinking they're all that with their scraggly plastic shiney wefts that are half hanging out. *shudder*
gaaaahhhhhh i hate Elysee Stars! there was a small group of girls in the krazy house (liverpools friendly, smelly and sticky rock club - eww) who stared wearing them after spotting my hand made dreadies and declaring that they HAD to have their own...

now, i have no real issue with them if youre not sure about spending the xash on handmade ones and you just want to try dreads for the first time on the cheap, but the problem was they all wore their beloved Elysee's to death and even cut them shorter so the things unravelled and just looked like some kind of horrid and bizarre bird nest

it didnt help that they outright refused to believe that i made my own, and that they could in fact be handmade, i had clearly bough Elysee's and somehow mine just looked a million miles better...
:roll:

it irritates me when you try to offer good, friendly advice and people just dont take it... their losss and money wasted i guess!

MadamGutterTrash

Post by MadamGutterTrash » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:27 am

I get this quite a bit too, but I also remember that I myself have had some horrible, horrible extensions in my lifetime (considering the whole emo/scene thing hit when I was like 13) but I like to think I learned from it.

I think if people can learn from their mistakes then I can turn a blind eye to them looking like a toilet brush.

guest123

Post by guest123 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:52 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corpseesproc

Post by corpseesproc » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:31 pm

[Phexxie] wrote: it didnt help that they outright refused to believe that i made my own, and that they could in fact be handmade, i had clearly bough Elysee's and somehow mine just looked a million miles better...
:roll:
haha this made me laugh so hard, I don't see a lot of girls wearing falls wrong around where I live mainly because the only person who sells dreads here (back sunshine) tends to give them friendly advice on how to wear them thank god :)
I remember cutting some elysee's shorter once and being mad that they looked stupid haha

Ecstacy

Post by Ecstacy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:31 pm

The other week I saw a girl with natural hair that was only 3" or so long.
She'd stuck a lot of long weft in it.. then scraped it all back into a high ponytail. The wefts were really visible and it looked terrible.. she had a ton of bobby pins in it just to keep it in. :? Not a good look.

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”