Extensions, Falls, or a Wig? + other Qu's

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
[Goblin]

Extensions, Falls, or a Wig? + other Qu's

Post by [Goblin] » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:09 pm

I'm new to the whole fake hair world, so any advice would be awesome :D.

Considering my hair is currently pretty thick, and about 20" long, which form of dreaded loveliness would be best to put on my head?

Any tips for tying up thick hair without snapping the bobbles?
Or getting the smell of restaurant kitchen out of extensions?
Will a wig cap fit all my hair in it? Or will there be a huge bulge under the wig at the back of my head? :lol:
Which form do you prefer yourself? Why?
Any other newbie advice?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to know people's opinions before I get anything :).

Moody108

Re: Extensions, Falls, or a Wig? + other Qu's

Post by Moody108 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:54 pm

regarding hair bobbles, get yourself some hair cubes, they go round any thickness of hair
smelly dreads can be febreezed to get rid of most smells, rinse your roots so get rid of the smells on them
as for the wig question, i can't help as i have no experience with wigs
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:21 am

I think all of those would be fine for you. However, maybe you shouldn't consider extensions, because of the heat in a kitchen. I used to sweat all the time when I cooked, and that was without extensions!!
Falls are great. You have long hair, so you will have a very sturdy base to wear your falls on. Just prepare for volume galore.
Wigs are awesome, they're my favourite. You can have ANY kind of color for your hair. You can have bangs if you don't have them already. There are ways to hide your hair better under a wig cap, like pincurls.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:56 am

if you are going to wear falls, make sure your buns are on the very top of your head and close together. this will help support the weight and keep your hair from coming undone.

Also, when you buy falls, make sure the seller mounts them in layers, NOT just in one line- dreads easily part ( more than roving and wool) and you need the layer/s to help hide large buns from thick hair.

Neon Black

Post by Neon Black » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:01 pm

In regards to wigs, my hair is thick and waist length and I have no problem hiding it under a wig.
I usually put it in 2 low pigtails at the nape of my neck, plait them, then cross them over the top of my head and pin them to the top. then put plenty of hairspray on and a wig cap! I found that's the best way of doing it :)

I've still worn extensions with long hair too, it just takes a lot longer to install than short hair!
Oh and with falls, I put my hair in 2 high pigtails right on the top of my head, split each into 2 and then plait them. Tie in the falls and wrap the plaits around the base of the falls, rather than using the bun technique as I find it quite hard to cover great big buns!! This also helps the falls stay in place better too :)

Oh and tying up thick hair, I snap bobbles all the time! I go though so many just putting my natural hair in a ponytail. When I have dreads in though, I use a strip of material, or an extra dread to tie them up instead of a bobble.

[Goblin]

Post by [Goblin] » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the tips everyone :D. *Makes notes!*

Kikky_Lou: Hair cubes! I forgot those existed! I'll have to go get some next time I go shopping; along with some febreeze ;D

ANNloses: Yeah, the kitchen thing is why I wasn't sure about getting extensions; it's hot enough in there, and more than a bit greasy :?. I think I'll leave those til I get another job.

littlepinkfairy: Thanks for the falls advice! I'll remember to ask for layered dreads when I order :).

Neon Black: Oooo thanks for the tips :). I'll try those out when I get my falls/wig :D

Again, thank you lovely ladies for the help! <3

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”