comments about your hair by the general public

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Leanna Moore

Re: comments about your hair by the general public

Post by Leanna Moore » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:09 am

poxabomination wrote:Was at the mall today dressed very plain and boring, hair just in a ponytail and my sides havent been shaved in a while so you couldn't even tell. Two old guys looked at me and shook their heads in actual disgust and acted offended that I existed. Heard them muttering "unbelievable. What is wrong with people." Thought the same thing.

Ah, the old people.
Here, it seems like they're at extreme ends when it comes to looking 'different' or 'odd'. They're either snarling at you and condemning you as a whore of lucifer, or they're all happy with it and telling you to keep up the good work.

With the snarly old people I whip a certain something out of my bag (not a weapon, but I don't think it would be appropriate to mention it here. Its a sexual thing) and explain what it is, and ask them if they'd like to have a go, and OH the responses I get. Its actually quite hilarious, it shuts them up right away and they usually run, or jog off. (This works well with over excited cult people too)

Yordan

Post by Yordan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 am

The last time I had dreads in, which were my first ever woolies, I got a lot of grief, proper annoyed me as I was so happy to have them in, and most of this grief came from my boss! Who now says I can't wear dreads at all. Changing the god damn rules. Just annoys me, as if people give a damn what a bar maid looks like as long as I do my job, and I am very good at my job ffs!!
So much for people being nice about them in my last post in this thread.
Why should I wake when I'm half past dead?

DaisyChains

Post by DaisyChains » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:27 am

Yordan wrote:The last time I had dreads in, which were my first ever woolies, I got a lot of grief, proper annoyed me as I was so happy to have them in, and most of this grief came from my boss! Who now says I can't wear dreads at all. Changing the god damn rules. Just annoys me, as if people give a damn what a bar maid looks like as long as I do my job, and I am very good at my job ffs!!
just to ask, do u have a contract of employment? if u do have a look to see if there are any restrictions on hairstyle/image etc, you'll find so long as you havent signed to say that you agree to her stupidness then you can do what you like as long as it doesnt affect your work there if nothing she can do, i had similar prob where i used to work with my piercings and i got my manager in trouble as she was being unfair and bullying me over how i looked when me work was 100% right xxx

miss_mortisha

Post by miss_mortisha » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 am

When i had my big purpley pink dreads in most of the feedback was good - but i had someone say 'people like that dont deserve to be parents' o_O i mean wtf?!

I find kids love them - and keep shouting look at her hair mummy!!! lol. I like that.

Shame there is always someone to ruin th nice stuff!
"never be afraid to reach for the sky, for if you fall, you'll land among the stars"
Mummy to Alyssia Teia Hope - 17th Jan 2010

Yordan

Post by Yordan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:17 pm

DaisyChains wrote:
Yordan wrote:The last time I had dreads in, which were my first ever woolies, I got a lot of grief, proper annoyed me as I was so happy to have them in, and most of this grief came from my boss! Who now says I can't wear dreads at all. Changing the god damn rules. Just annoys me, as if people give a damn what a bar maid looks like as long as I do my job, and I am very good at my job ffs!!
just to ask, do u have a contract of employment? if u do have a look to see if there are any restrictions on hairstyle/image etc, you'll find so long as you havent signed to say that you agree to her stupidness then you can do what you like as long as it doesnt affect your work there if nothing she can do, i had similar prob where i used to work with my piercings and i got my manager in trouble as she was being unfair and bullying me over how i looked when me work was 100% right xxx
I do have some form of contract, I remember signing stuff about uniform but there was NOTHING about hair on it. He's just being a dick but the thing is I can't complain to anyone as the owners are the next people up from my manager and they will have the same opinion as him. Applied for another bar job, fingers crossed, plus I know they don't car about hair, their kitchen staff have real dreads!
I havn't signed anything since that first contract, he's just gone power mad lately.
Why should I wake when I'm half past dead?

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:41 pm

miss_mortisha wrote:When i had my big purpley pink dreads in most of the feedback was good - but i had someone say 'people like that dont deserve to be parents' o_O i mean wtf?!

I find kids love them - and keep shouting look at her hair mummy!!! lol. I like that.

Thats absolutely nauseating. People like THAT don't deserve to be parents.

I always let kids touch my hair if they want to (and if their parents don't drag them away) it makes them less afraid of new things and it makes their parents realise I'm not going to eat them.
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

miss_mortisha

Post by miss_mortisha » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:38 pm

poxabomination wrote:
miss_mortisha wrote:When i had my big purpley pink dreads in most of the feedback was good - but i had someone say 'people like that dont deserve to be parents' o_O i mean wtf?!

Thats absolutely nauseating. People like THAT don't deserve to be parents.

I always let kids touch my hair if they want to (and if their parents don't drag them away) it makes them less afraid of new things and it makes their parents realise I'm not going to eat them.
totally. People like that are the reason there is so much hate for anything different.
Gah! X
"never be afraid to reach for the sky, for if you fall, you'll land among the stars"
Mummy to Alyssia Teia Hope - 17th Jan 2010

toxic trish

Post by toxic trish » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:23 am

well been a while since i have had any comments but i just when top the shop to get some vodka for download and well i was going on my work break and mid walk an old friend just shouted as loud as they could WOW and then when i turned round he was shocked quiet amused me, also some chavy boys were like omg rag doll and i was like ye now learn to act your age!!!! I hate chavs and there bad attitudes

But i think that’s what i get for being pink, male and very effeminate? : (
warning this post may/will contain bad spelling and lots of grammatical error's

well its shocking I AM MALE

kittyno84

Post by kittyno84 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Still better to be pink, male and effeminate than to be like those chavs :) The majority of my male friends are effeminate, which in my opinion is better. I do like my girly men :P

DaisyChains

Post by DaisyChains » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Yordan wrote:
DaisyChains wrote:
I do have some form of contract, I remember signing stuff about uniform but there was NOTHING about hair on it. He's just being a dick but the thing is I can't complain to anyone as the owners are the next people up from my manager and they will have the same opinion as him. Applied for another bar job, fingers crossed, plus I know they don't car about hair, their kitchen staff have real dreads!
I havn't signed anything since that first contract, he's just gone power mad lately.
fingers crossed for the new job then :D sometimes fighting the bosses isnt worth it, i found it extremely satisfying just to see my boss squirm but im slighty sadistic like that hahaha ;)

DaisyChains

Post by DaisyChains » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:55 pm

toxic trish wrote:well been a while since i have had any comments but i just when top the shop to get some vodka for download and well i was going on my work break and mid walk an old friend just shouted as loud as they could WOW and then when i turned round he was shocked quiet amused me, also some chavy boys were like omg rag doll and i was like ye now learn to act your age!!!! I hate chavs and there bad attitudes

But i think that’s what i get for being pink, male and very effeminate? : (
agree with what people have already said to this, better be u than stuck up their own jacksy chav! lol

and p.s i love effeminate men too everyone thought my husband was gay b4 we got together haha x

SdSiNthetics

Post by SdSiNthetics » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:37 pm

kittyno84 wrote:Still better to be pink, male and effeminate than to be like those chavs :) The majority of my male friends are effeminate, which in my opinion is better. I do like my girly men :P

this! Plus that pink suits you better than it would suit most the girls I know, so ignore the haters and so on.

My hair is growing back relatively quickly, it's already an inch long which means I have already started doing strange things to it, including a right angle under cut (as much as an undercut can be in short hair) on one side. I did it to tie it in to some strange obscure make up for a night out.
Today when walking down the road with Belle and her bike, someone asked me if I'd had that tiny bit shaved off for an operation, my sheer look of disgust pretty much spoke for me.
Hair fanatic, dread addict

kittyno84

Post by kittyno84 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:59 pm

That is awful! What makes those people think they have the right to ask that sort of thing? I wouldn't go up to someone with hair I didn't like and ask them why they had boring/normal hair. Also people that think you want to know their opinion on what you look like generally, I have taken to telling people to f*** off if they start insulting me, it seems like they think I won't say anything back and when I do they look pretty shocked and tell me there is no reason to be so rude. When they were rude to me to start with :x

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am

SdSiNthetics wrote:
kittyno84 wrote:Still better to be pink, male and effeminate than to be like those chavs :) The majority of my male friends are effeminate, which in my opinion is better. I do like my girly men :P

this! Plus that pink suits you better than it would suit most the girls I know, so ignore the haters and so on.
I am a bit biased, but pink hair is AWESOME and it suits you very well!

I've realized lately that I can't go out without people asking about my hair, even if I'm not wearing dreads. I went to pay my Best Buy bill the other day, and a lady stopped me in the parking lot (she was in her car, I was walking) and was talking to me for 15 minutes about who to get hair THAT pink. At this point, my hair was 2 months faded. :lol:

I had an old lady tell me she wished she had my hair color. I talked to her for ages about it! I find when people are looking at you like they want to ask something, a simple smile usually makes them more at ease. It's awesome, but when I'm in a hurry it gets so annoying!! :lol:

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:07 am

Traditionally, pink was a mans colour. Pink was seen as a strong, bold colour = FOR MEN! Blue, on the other hand was dainty & delicate. I don't know where in history they switched, but yes. Pink was actually for men/boys and blue was for women/girls.

I was asked the other day where all my hair had gone (currently dreadless) & I just replied with "it's at home" :lol: The woman in the PO thought they were real.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:26 am

Lately I've been really, really boring, hair in a ponytail, just to keep it out of my face (yeah, it's getting long!) and I still get so many comments. A lady came up to me in the supermarket and said "Wow, you almost knocked me out with your hair! How did you do it?" so I had a laugh and explained. She was with another lady and a little girl who was slightly down syndrome, the little girl said "I wanna do mine!" I thought it was cute.

Loric

Post by Loric » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:10 am

I always find when i have dreads in it tends to be little old ladies on the bus that feel they have the right to make snide comments. I'm a very placid person normally but last time i wore some it was unbelievable. I got on the bus to take my little one to nursery and the women sitting behind me and my 3 year old starts a conversation with my son. i thought fair enough, Alex is a chatterbox and loves to talk to random people. This woman says "Where are you off to today yound man?" Alex "I'm going to nursery because i want to play with buzz lightyear before callum gets there." this is a normal 3 year old thing to say. He assumes everyone knows that his best friend likes to hog the buzz lightyear figure if he gets there first. the woman leaned over and replied "Well then maybe your mummy can take the time to do her hair while your there then as she obviously didnt before you two came out. it looks like she has dead worms coming out of her hair doesnt it? If shes not careful social services will be coming to take you away before too long". Then smiled. This pissed me off :x . Alex didnt like it either and said before i could even turn round "I like mummys dreads. They're better than your hair. Buzz lightyear will kill you because you smell like cat weewee. When i'm bigger i will get you and beat you up with my lightsaber, and mummy will laugh. Cos your naughty." Normally i would be horrified at this kind of outburst from him but as she'd pissed me off and i was seething i left it and as i was getting off made sure to turn to her and say "He's right you know you DO stink of cat pee..." It was a glorious moment as everybody turned to stare at her and started to move away from her as i got off. :lol:

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:06 am

Loric wrote:If shes not careful social services will be coming to take you away before too long
I actually cannot believe someone would say that to you :shock:

I would have punched her in the face!
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

~Azaezl~

Post by ~Azaezl~ » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:25 am

I dyed my hair pink a few months ago and almost daily kids at school would whisper to their mums/dads/other kids "wow she has pink hair". Then when I dyed it black a couple of weeks ago and went into Kyoko's school for some picnic she came home after school and said all the kids were disappointed and wanted to know why my hair wasn't pink anymore :lol:
Kanadeta senritsusae, Mou todokanai yumeno ato
Facebook

Zombiæ

Post by Zombiæ » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:56 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:YOUR KID RULES.
+1! Hahahaha, sorry the old lady was rude, but the comment of your son really made my day :lol:
♥ ♫ Yo ho ho and a bottle of RAM ♫ ♥

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Yesterday, sat waiting for my prescription.
Poor little boy with a cold started speaking to me, asking me how I got my head to grow worms. Then he said that my new name should be "wormy head" because Lou is boring.
His mum was fascinated and took my number, as she's interested in getting some. Oh yeahh :D
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:31 am

i.hate.dread.elitists.
seriously. i have a few friends...(well one friend,the others are aqquantences i guess.i dont care for them.) who feel the need, just because they have real dreads, to constantly point out how lame "fake dreads" are, and to man up and grow them yourself, its embarrasing, blah blah blah. OMFG.
they dont get it that i,nor any of my friends that wear them, are trying to fool anyone. obviously theese are not real dreads. obviously, my hair changes lengths and colors every other friggin month.obviously it does not look natural. jesus christ! so annoyed.
and for the record, i would get real dreads if they would look decent, but i am cursed with super fine thin super white girl hair.
i want to choke them out with a bag of KK.

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:56 pm

ugh, iddylove, I agree. Its almost unfortunate that they're called synthetic dreads, we should come up with a different name so people don't think we're trying to pass them off as "real" dreads :lol: . They're really two totally different things; most people who wear synth dreads aren't trying to make them look "real" at all, they're SUPPOSED to look totally unnatural! I honestly don't even care much for "real" dreads. I think some people look nice in them but I just don't think they'd look good on me or suit my style at all. And its not like my hair is just a cheap extension I can take out an put in in 2 seconds, they're braided into my friggin head and it took hours to do, and is staying in for weeks! Plus I hand made them myself, that has to count for something. And even if they're on a fall, they take hours and hours to make anyway, so I don't see how I'm "half-assing" anything. :roll:

I'm suprised, I went to the mall today and didn't get any outright insults! I heard a bit of whispering here and there as I walked by but I honestly don't mind that. If people at least try to keep it to themselves its totally cool with me! :i2:
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

manchee

Post by manchee » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:53 pm

I think it annoys me more when its that kind of comment from someone who wore synth dreads before dreading their hair. Almost like it never happened and now its cool for them to look down on synth dread wearers :roll:

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”