comments about your hair by the general public

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
xalternmommyx

Re: comments about your hair by the general public

Post by xalternmommyx » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:07 am

Lilinth wrote:
xalternmommyx wrote:
kikky_lou wrote: Someone at work asked if I was a lesbian though because I have a shaved head.
that stereotype is so rude. just becuase you have a certain style your automatically pinned as a certain sexuality.... meanwhile there are total girly girls outthere with long hair make up and dresses, lots of friends and brand names who are lesbians. or a well dressed man is automatically "has to be gay" UGH. i hate when people judge.

and missliberty... i honestly would have to have gone back to the vendors and just been a bi**h about their comments :lol:
one of my sister's friends, when she mentioned down the phone i had shaved my head, said "does that mean she is a racist now?"
no, it means my head gets especially cold in winter. that is all.

oh wow! :shock:

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:08 am

Lilinth wrote:
xalternmommyx wrote:
kikky_lou wrote: Someone at work asked if I was a lesbian though because I have a shaved head.
that stereotype is so rude. just becuase you have a certain style your automatically pinned as a certain sexuality.... meanwhile there are total girly girls outthere with long hair make up and dresses, lots of friends and brand names who are lesbians. or a well dressed man is automatically "has to be gay" UGH. i hate when people judge.

and missliberty... i honestly would have to have gone back to the vendors and just been a bi**h about their comments :lol:
one of my sister's friends, when she mentioned down the phone i had shaved my head, said "does that mean she is a racist now?"
no, it means my head gets especially cold in winter. that is all.
These are the worst. It's funny too, b/c there are certain women with shaved/short hair that are celebrated for being so 'bold'. Demi Moore during G.I. Jane immediately comes to mind. It's like you're only 'allowed' to do it if you happen to also have the looks/body of an actress or model. :roll: I've had people assume both of these things about me in the past, and at some point it stopped bothering me all together. To paraphrase something my friend said, if you know what people say/think about you isn't true, fuck 'em.

In all honesty, I haven't really noticed anyone saying things about my hair, make-up, clothes or body modifications that is negative. If they have, then mostly likely my attention was focused somewhere else and I totally missed it. :lol: More often, people are quite generous with the compliments and seemed surprised when I tell them I do my own hair, make my own accessories, etc. Which is a nice change from all the things I heard say 10 years ago when there was less of an alternative scene in general.

Oh, and sometimes I catch people staring at the OH more than me, even tho he is not visibly modified or anything of that sort, which I find quite entertaining. When we go out to eat, people definitely turn their heads and are probly wondering all sorts of things, but that's just the way of natural curiosity.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:01 am

Urgh. I walked through the local primary school yesterday morning and the kids there are worse than the damn parents. Gaggles of 5/6yo girls in a huddle, turning to stare at me and whispering to each other. My son is going to have to go to that school :(
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:47 pm

When Seth first moved schools I had my colinette installed & I could see some boys sticking their head through the blinds to point at me :roll: kids are curious but have NO tact whatsoever. They're not bothered now, they're used to me. I did over hear one before saying "that lady always changes her hair" :lol:

A little girl the other day almost walked in to the bus stop cos she simply wouldn't stop staring. Screeching at the top of her voice "mam, look at her hair. I want blue hair" later on that walk to school some pre teen girls walked passed me, "like your hair" followed by idiotic giggles. I was walking with my friend who has bright red hair, so I replied with "which one were you referring to?" no answer. Like they think saying something like that is an insult or something.

People are tards, simple as.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:58 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote: later on that walk to school some pre teen girls walked passed me, "like your hair" followed by idiotic giggles. I was walking with my friend who has bright red hair, so I replied with "which one were you referring to?" no answer. Like they think saying something like that is an insult or something.
I had a few sarcastic comments like that as well, and always responded with a smile and a polite "Thank you!". Seems like some people just want to get others down. It's sad the world is like that. But hey, at least we can beat them with kindness!
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:30 pm

danixdorko wrote:
DreadstarMonstar wrote: later on that walk to school some pre teen girls walked passed me, "like your hair" followed by idiotic giggles. I was walking with my friend who has bright red hair, so I replied with "which one were you referring to?" no answer. Like they think saying something like that is an insult or something.
I had a few sarcastic comments like that as well, and always responded with a smile and a polite "Thank you!". Seems like some people just want to get others down. It's sad the world is like that. But hey, at least we can beat them with kindness!
I usually do that :)
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:41 pm

I would have too if I was on my own.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Opiate

Post by Opiate » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:42 am

I haven't had mine in for very long, but my boss has taken to calling me a hippy, so I've taken to walking around the office barefoot.

I've also been asked 3 times this week if I have lice. Damn itchies of doom!!!
JessFACE
prying.open.my.third.eye
facebook.com/OpiateDreads-Custom Dreads and Cyberlox<3

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:46 am

It must just be where I live, but most of the comments and/or looks I get from people are downright rude. Some of my friends actually used to refuse to go to the mall with me, not because they were embarassed but because they would get so upset at what people did and said they didn't want to deal with the stress.
A lot of times little kids will go "oh wow mom look!" which is TOTALLY fine, however, many times their parents will either encourage them to gawk at me and say things like "yeah take a good look, don't ever look like that" or they'll literally grab their children and pull them away from me as if I'm gonna eat them 0.o
I couldn't even list all of the rude things people have said (I'm sure you're all familiar with them, the circus, halloween, etc) so I'm just gonna say the worst IMO.
I was at the mall and a family was walking behind me, the kids didn't even care but the parents were making a fuss and talking loudly about how I was a freak, probably on drugs, etc., and I would turn around and they'd give me the most DISGUSTED looks. Then I heard the girls mother say to her "I hope you NEVER turn out like that, I would be so disappointed." It took everything in me not to turn around and say "You had better damn well HOPE she turns out like me. I got straight A's all the way from 1st grade through highschool, was in the top of my class, volunteered at the SPCA and a wildlife rehabilitation center, have never touched drugs, cigarettes or even alcohol, have never once been in trouble with the law, am WAY more polite to everyone around me than you could ever hope to be, don't have unprotected sex, and am generally a good f***ing person, which is more than you can say about the average 'normal' teen." But, as always, I ignored it and kept walking. Honestly, its all the parents who teach these kids to be prejudiced agaisnt people.
Which leads me to ask, when people make faces at you, rude comments, etc, how do you react? I always try my best to be as polite as possible to make them see that I'm not some horrible junkie circus freak, but if I'm already having a bad day I'll admit to occasionally making faces back at people :C I really rarely do, and I kick myself afterwards, but I think everybody probably does it at some point... right?
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:34 am

I got my first negative comment by a child today. A little boy and his brother were staring at me then noticed their mom giving me the typical disgusted look. Then the boys turned away and whispered to each other. The other boy said pretty loud What a Freak! :shock: I was quite surprised, but my son's reaction was awesome. My son was a bit younger than them, but puffed up like he was 6 ft tall and bullet proof. He got in their face and said "With ears like those you shouldn't be calling anyone a freak!" :lol: Later I felt bad for laughing, but I couldn't really help it.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 am

Yeah, pox, I have bad days when I just glare back at people. Most of the time tho, I smile at them. People find it hard to be disgusted by someone who's smiling at them.
I think I confuse people. I have weird hair, but I have a son, a husband and I'm relatively well-spoken. it's funny to see people mentally taking a step baCk and trying to make sense of it. :lol:

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 am

My lovely, sweet-natured brother once was waiting outside tesco for a lift, when a man in a car called out to him, asking him to move somewhere else so his kids didn't have to see him! He had two little girls in the back, gawping at him. My brother mumbled something about being closed-minded and then wandered off. I tell ya, I'd have been fucking livid!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:43 am

The wonderful Gracey gave myself & Lisa a bit of advice, which I thought was brilliant & it's to copy the look/stance etc that the person is giving you. Unfortunately, all I usually get it gawps or people looking like they're trying not to stare.

I normally walk around smug looking, I really couldn't give a toss what others think, I was called a freak through my teen years, but no one actually says anything to me now, except the odd "i like your hair" either from well meaning elderly ladies or silly teens that think its funny for some, unknown reason. Again, like Jo I have children & a husband. It may also help at the fact I'm 6 foot tall in my big shoes, so people normally give me a wide berth :lol:

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 am

:lol: that was good advice she gave us, i just wish i put it into practice, lately i have taken the 'head down, carry on walking' stance when walking through large crowds, and i must say it doesnt do much for the self esteem :oops: although this is how i walk when i DONT have dreads in aswell so...... anyways

I havent had any bad comments lately but i had a weird dream lastnight. I went to see my friend in ladbrooks (a tad specific i know but we cant pick our dreams :D ) and his wife was there, sat with jade goodies mam :shock: ( i know, very strange).
I tried talking to them but my friends wife laid into me telling me that my hair was a disgrace an that she thought it was disgusting that i went to work looking like that!
I told her i didnt need to listen to her shit an then i walked out. Then i woke up! :lol:

Negative comments in my dreams? is my brain trying to tell me to change my hair ways or are my instincts warning me that my firends wife is a bitch? since ive heard it said before about her i think i may just be realising that she is a bitch! :lol:
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 am

I haven't gotten as many comments now that my hair is orange. I think it's the tying my hair up in a ponytail that does it. I'm friggin normal people!!!!!!!!!

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm

I like the copying the stance idea, I did that once at walmart a few weeks ago, I felt a bit bad about it afterwards but I was fucking livid for other reasons at the time. Some enormous woman who was so obese she had to use one of those motorized carts had the gall to screw her face up at ME and roll her eyes! Those are the kind of people I can't believe... ones who look like they would get weird faces from other people, I would think they'd be on my side! And the teen girls are mostly just thinking they're so cool for thinking they're being bitchy to a stranger and looking tuff in front of their friends. What I don't get is how they can wear the UGLIEST clothing and have it be some kind of major fashion trend. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but girls here go out in baggy sweatpants, uggs (>.o) and sweatshirts and then pile their hair DIRECTLY on top of their head in a huge stupid loose floppy bun. It looks like they put no effort into their clothing, they just roll out of bed into a pile of clothes and whatever sticks is what they wear, when it can take me an hour to pick out an outfit just to be made fun of BYT HOSE VERY SAME PEOPLE (who all look exactly the same.) God knows I want to burst into laughter on seeing that hairdo (I've only seen it elsewhere on Brittany Spears during her 'rough times') but I don't, because everyone has their own style and every right to wear it.
On that note, anyone has a right to think that what I wear is ridiculous, but it's so messed up that people think its ok to make fun of people for having 'alternative' hairstyles because 'they're stupid and weird so they're asking for it' but in reality, how many of us think some of the common popular hairstyles are absolutely ridiculous? :lol: But I don't go around making fun. Maybe I should start to get them before they get me >.>

FaerieGirl

Post by FaerieGirl » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:03 pm

An old man crashed his cart at the grocery store yesterday gawking at me. I thought it was pretty funny. I bet he felt even WORSE when I helped him pick up everything that fell off the shelves (There was a lot).
Taking over the world, one cupcake at a time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CausticCu ... 7885476928
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 pm

That's the amy winehouse hairdo..

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:39 pm

whatever it is, it makes me lol :lol:
Floppy buns can be properly executed and look wonderful and classy, but the way these girls do it makes it just look like, idk, like they just grabbed a fistful of hair directly on top of their heads and put an elastic around it D: I've seen some so high forward that they literally flop forwards towrads their faces. And these are the people that make fun of me. :roll:

Opiate

Post by Opiate » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:36 pm

I always thought that Amy Winehouse's hair was a stupidly over the top beehive...

poxabomination: i know the exact style you're talking about!! It was HUUUGE back at home. We called them birds-nests. The girls were also orange, and used to hike their school skirts up so that their butts were nearly hanging out... Oh I came from a classy area :/
JessFACE
prying.open.my.third.eye
facebook.com/OpiateDreads-Custom Dreads and Cyberlox<3

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Opiate wrote:I always thought that Amy Winehouse's hair was a stupidly over the top beehive...

poxabomination: i know the exact style you're talking about!! It was HUUUGE back at home. We called them birds-nests. The girls were also orange, and used to hike their school skirts up so that their butts were nearly hanging out... Oh I came from a classy area :/
OMGYES, definitely not Amy Winehouse, birdnest is an awesome way to describe it. And t hey dont even make it tight to the hair thats not in the bun is all.. floofy. I'd need to find a picture and link it :lol:
And the orange foundation that stops at the chin and the eyebrows plucked to be shaped like brackets (like this [ ). Yet somehow these girls have the right to make fun of alternative chicks and society backs them up! I would never in a million years think of going up to one of them and telling them they sucked at hair and makeup. I feel kinda bad even talking about it here!
I come from an area where I am literally THE only alt person in town... in any form. Not even scene or indie kids live here D:

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:46 pm

like this but worse, if possible:

It especially hurts to have your hair made fun of by someone sporting this hairdo >.<

dread_addiction

Post by dread_addiction » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:59 pm

poxabomination wrote:like this but worse, if possible:

It especially hurts to have your hair made fun of by someone sporting this hairdo >.<
hahah they just dont know how ridiculous they look.

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:10 pm

Oh, good lord... that's just crap! It's not even hideous, it's just crap.. surely that's just 'I couldn't be bothered living today' hair?!

dread_addiction

Post by dread_addiction » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:15 pm

im too used to the stares that i dont even notice anymore .. i dont care what people think of me an anyway ..i will not give the pleasure to the person who tells me i should change to be normal. Hell NO i dont want to look like you!!
i love freaking people out with my hair ..every comment i take it as a compliment :D

the other day me and my sister went shopping..i had my blonde dreads obviously she was the only one who notice people looking at us ..she felt soo paraniod of the stares people where giving us (maybe thats why she stop dying her hair purple and started to dress like everyone else). But anyways she told me and i was like What? where ? and yeah they were staring but i pay no attention and i laugh cuz i think its funny i dont notice anymore.

for some reason alot of people thougth my blonde dreads were real ..i had many compliment from people who had real dreads in the past ..it was awosme!

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”