comments about your hair by the general public

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
MissAnthropik

comments about your hair by the general public

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:47 pm

We had one of these threads on the other board, and they are always good for a chuckle!

Today I was standing in the queue in WHSmith and there was a little girl and her grandma behind me. The little girl said (quite quietly) to her grandma, "would you like to have hair like that?" I had brown transitional dreads with neon tips in a variety of colours. The grandma being quite a bit older than me didn't hear her and said, "what did you say?". So the little girl tried again, a bit louder, but still hushed. Grandma still didn't hear. This happened a few times until she did hear, then she said "ssssh, you don't talk about people". I think grandma should try having my hair, might've suited her!

Share you stories, good, bad and funny!
telling it like it is!

CherryLex

Re: comments about your hair by the general public

Post by CherryLex » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:08 pm

In line at a store a few nights ago I had a little girl (less than a year old) being held by her mom just sqealing at me and giggling. Her mom was saying things like " I know you love the pink hair!" and "maybe you can do that... when you're 18... well, maybe 16" it was really cute. Then I got to talking to her mom about old cartoons. Everytime I turned around to put my items on the belt the little girl would yell to get my attention, it was hilarious.
I'm still wearing the multi-pink blended dreads from my showoff a week ago, by the way.
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:52 pm

It was a few months ago now, but when at work a customer told me that my hair was "like a work of art attached to my head" hehe
The same day a little girl whispered to her dad that I had 'lots and lots and lots and lots and lots' of different colours in my hair - I only had 3 different colours in it lol
When out shopping the other week a girl nudged her mate, sniggered and indicated my hair. Her friends responce was "What? Why are you laughing? I love it, its so funky!" Which quickly shut her mate up! :D
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

downinahole

Post by downinahole » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:05 pm

I had my fake dreads in about a month ago and this girl turned around and rather loudly said 'eeer, why would you do that to your hair, its disgusting'. I had a woman in primark nearly drop her basket when she saw my hair. :lol: I also have random people wanting to touch my hair and see how its put in. So i'ld say thats it half good half bad. x

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:58 am

I had my cyberlox falls in during one trip around Melbourne, and a bunch of young boys (I'd say around 12-13) said to each other "how on earth did she get slinkies in her hair??". I wasn't supposed to hear, but I did, and I laughed so hard I walked into the bus shelter :lol:

Generally the reaction has been positive, but I've found it depends where you go. Right in the city, people are much more accepting and compliment me, whereas around my town I wouldn't even be able to wear my hair falls and such without being bashed. A lot of closed-minded and bored teenagers around here =/
More human than human

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:14 am

i get a lot more positive than negative reactions. the only thing that i really hate is people who touch it without asking. i'm happy for people to if they ask. one guy even picked his kid up when i was in a queue so she could have a yank at it :roll:

the thing that amazes me though is how many people think it's real. i dunno whether it's because i obviously know they're not and i know how it's done, but i just find it completely strange that people could think that i could some how dread up my hair into candy canes, transitionals etc
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:18 am

I had some kids, boys of about 10 or so, in Tesco staring at me and saying, "her hair is sick", "yeah man, sick" and that sort of thing. Being a bit out of touch I asked my OH why he wasn't defending me from small children openly criticising me. He told me that sick means "good" :oops:
telling it like it is!

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:56 pm

I get alot of positive reactions in my area from those my age and older. I had one random bloke whistle call say "Hey Sexy" when I had my dreads in - much to Paul's amusement!!

The best responce was Paul's baby cousin Tia playing with my last kit. It was so funny to all the ladies at the coffee morning!

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:20 pm

I got called a zombie by two middle aged " marks and spencers style" women! Thye nearly walked into a car staring at me!

I thought it was really funny! Kids always smile, men tend to not care/ notice and women are complete *@&(£(@& at times!

Dude

Post by Dude » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:45 am

When I wore dreads I never got any thing.

Well I dont think I did. :lol:
There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.

biowaste

Post by biowaste » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:42 am

haha i have had loads of comments good and bad with dreads...

MissAnthropik i have kids saying "nah dan her hair is sick" aswell! lol might just be something to do with the nottingham area lol

i have had a few men saying "hey girl, you looking good" and the like, also men shouting errrr get that off your head

oh yes now a group of really posh/stylish/trendy girls saying "omg she is totally gunna regret that when she is 60" i shouted back "they're extensions... just like the nest thats on your head"

teen chavvy boys my age are quite different about my hair really, i recall a group of lads calling me "preditor hit by a raindow" and them riding their bikes near me barking like dogs etc...

little girls are the best "she is a princess" and i have them jumping up trying to touch my hair, i had one girl asking me to come home with her in the taxi with her mum so i can play dollies with her lol, older people and mums are really cool with it aswell... an old man offered me a brolly in the rain yesterday lol

although with dreads i seem to attract more weirdos... a man rode his bike past me yesterday, came right up to my ear and whispered "your hair is beautiful baby" and rode off :S lol and had people request to touch it... mixed reactions all in all

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:12 pm

the chavs down my street always say "ere luv, do my 'air like that, it's wicked!"
most people say nice things because it's such an unusual colour even for unnatural hair. (orange and neon yellow)

a few black men have said to me it's lovely, black girls tend not to like it
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

MistressH

Post by MistressH » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:22 pm

ive only had love for my dreads! usually wither small kids or completely not at all alternative people asking about them obviously wishing they looked a bit more 'special'

Angelaar

Post by Angelaar » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:41 pm

I normally get nice comments about my hair, it was quite funny on saturday, i was in the lakes at my parents caravan, its on a holiday park so has a show bar, as soon as a walked in i got confronted with people making X shapes with theres arms shouting xfactor, it turns out there was some really entertaining arrogant goth girl with dreads on that night, my mum had to point out i was nothing like that girl (she had watched it) they where only having a giggle, and made polite conversation everytime i so them after that, they said my hair was lots nicer than hairs, so i forgave them.

~*Zombie Candycane~*

Post by ~*Zombie Candycane~* » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:50 am

Well to be honest ive not had loads of nice comments ive had :-

"omg thats...... BRIGHT i love it!" from the post man!

"omg your hairs amazing" From a random Emo girl

"WHO MADE THOSE?! CAN I HAVE THEM?" from a punky girl in the local shopping centre

And a random girl in a goth shop asking if she could touch them where i got them from and how i put them in... I recomended she come to the forum and find out.. left her the Http: :D

and then ive had nasty ones like "WHAT THE F**K HAS SHE GOT ON HER HEAD"
Muttering on the bus some girls were going "TOUCH IT... GO ON TOUCH IT.... I DARE YOU! TOUCH THE F**KING WIG!!! ITS A WIG!! ITS SOOOOOO A WIG I BLOODY DARE YOU TO LICK IT" ¬_¬ needless to say i turned and asked them if they had a problem to which they went bright red and moved lol.

ive had some old woman touching it on the bus when we were getting off and making "hmmm" noices >_< *SCARED*

The usual sniggering and muttering and pointing and laughing and making funny stupid noices from all the chavs ive come across!... But i just smile! I love the attention and their all giving it me :D

One question though.... WHY DO THEY ALWAYS WANT TO TOUCH IT?! SERIOUSLY?! every one of them wanna touch it! lol
**Zombie <^/._.\^> Kitty**

http://twitter.com/JayJayCuppycake

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:58 am

when i went to visit my family the other week my brother noticed my neon purple and bright red dreads, he paused for a moment then said "oh wow, that hair is really cool by the way" and then we just carried on chatting as normal. haha.

a drunk man in the job centre poked me and went "love, you got something in yer hair" then walked off dribbling. yeah.. wow, i'm really upset to get a negative reaction off a man who gets drunk at 11am and dribbles :roll: heh.

mostly i get a good reaction. i've overheard school girls debating on whether or not to ask me about my hair. generally they seem to think i'll yell at them or something, but i really don't mind being asked. i had some falls a few months back and bright blue hair - two girls were discussing it and one of them wanted to ask me about it, but the other one was going "no! no! don't ask her that!" lol.
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

kezerb

Post by kezerb » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:03 pm

This year there are a lot of Alternative people at college, even emo's doing sports! :P

Anywho I have had loads of people saying they love it, only one's asked to touch it the rest have just grabbed and tried to unravel them :evil:

I also get a lot of evil stares but only off the childcare girls everyone else is fine with it :P

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:00 am

ive only had a set of dreads in once but unfortunatley I got one nice comment from a guy working in Camden but everything else were nasty/negative/needless reactions. And these were in places like London and Manchester (!!??) The staring, the giggling, the comments and oh my god just because I have black hair does not make me Amy Winehouse. Ive never seen her wearing black n blue dreads-fact! I was a bit shocked and disappointed with the general reaction to something I consider to be beautiful and when I know so many others (i.e. you lot) who share a love for "alternative hairstyles". If I see someone in the street wearing something I dont like, or think is odd I dont do anything about it I just let them go, I wouldnt dare be so rude as to point and shout about a total stranger's appearance. What do I gain form that? Nothing. Will I ever see that person again? Never. Its pathetic. Live and let live.

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:55 am

MissAnthropik wrote:We had one of these threads on the other board, and they are always good for a chuckle!

Today I was standing in the queue in WHSmith and there was a little girl and her grandma behind me. The little girl said (quite quietly) to her grandma, "would you like to have hair like that?" I had brown transitional dreads with neon tips in a variety of colours. The grandma being quite a bit older than me didn't hear her and said, "what did you say?". So the little girl tried again, a bit louder, but still hushed. Grandma still didn't hear. This happened a few times until she did hear, then she said "ssssh, you don't talk about people". I think grandma should try having my hair, might've suited her!

Share you stories, good, bad and funny!

Oh, that'd be great - she could have silver/grey ones with neon tips! ^_^

I love kids - it's great when they point you out and then try to count EXACTLY how many different colours you have in your hair and name them all! So cute :D
Also funny when the parents get embarrassed and tell them to shhh, and then I smile and encourage the kid to say more! :twisted:

'Why'd you do that to your hair?!' is a great one (not from kids, obv! Mostly from adults who ought to know better ¬_¬) or 'what happened to your hair?' then I get to say 'I dunno, just woke up and it was like this!' or when people ask if my BRIGHT GREEN AND PURPLE hair is real.. that's great :D then I get to mess with them and say 'oh yeah, I'm an alien' or something equally stupid ^_^
Last edited by Rhaeniel on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:07 am

Madii wrote:Once I had a group of teenage boys at a bus stop laugh at me and make comments while wearing dreads, and then the cockiest one swaggered up (no, really, he swaggered) and kissed me on the cheek out of nowhere. I reflexively smacked him round the back of his head when he turned to walk away but it wasn't that hard since I was quite shocked. Why does having strange hair/clothes mean people feel entitled to come up and violate your personal space like that? I'm sure he felt very clever (until I smacked him) doing that and showing off to his mates, but no lady wants to be kissed by strange men off the street. It really shook me because I don't really appreciate sexual gestures from complete strangers. Was it wrong of me to feel so angry that he felt he had a right to do that? I still wonder if maybe I overreacted and I'm being unreasonable - and this happened ages ago. Opinions?
Girl, I would've done more than smack him ¬_¬ the cheeky ****!
I don't think you overreacted at all. It's really not on! It's the same kinda thing when someone touches your hair without asking (only worse!) - I would've smacked the idiot who pulled my hair at a festival a few years ago, but I didn't know which one of the group of tittering prats did it :evil:
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

zombiehoney

Post by zombiehoney » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:41 pm

one of the reasons i rarely wear dreads now is the amount of negative comments i get, where i live is mainly populated by 'chavy' types and as my daughter is in year 2 i dont want anyone giving her crap because of it..seriously they start talking crap early here. but i did get a few nice comments about my hair, but the negative massivly outweighed them

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:13 pm

the unnecessary touching also applies to tattoos. grrr :evil: !!

my bloke gets a lot of stick about his hair (it's, likeomg, LONG *shockhorror* and he's a..BOY =O!) which is quite pathetic really. a lot of it comes from his own family too. heh.

i'm re-installing my ickle dreadies this week for a short time, i don't really get much of a reaction. it's a tiny bit of both but nothing outstanding. i'll report back with any stories, should any come about!
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:41 am

my old boss gave me evils when i wore my falls to work for halloween - he checked if they were permanent & once established that they weren't he was quite happy to pretent my head was a motorbike & my falls were the handle bars!!! (good thing i liked him) he aslo comments (i still see him occasioanlly) on me tying my hair up - he refers to it as: "Sarah's friday hair" I have an undercut & it usually gets tied back on fridays when i can wear what i liek to work!

I had a young emo/wannabe girl recently shout across the street: "i love your hair" dunno whether it was coz it was freshly shaved, or the fact it is black (she was blonde)

me & my best mate got super stares recently - we decided to go out (not a normal occurance) and because it was a rarity - we got dressed up, went to the local metal night & everyone stared! too many people now just do the jeans & converse to go out, so i suppose....pfft. what do you guys think?

(me on the left) scuse the myspace pose - her mate took the picture!

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:20 am

i currently have dreads in
i was in the grocery store the other day and there was an elderly woman in line in front of me, asked me if the feathers in my hair were real.
after she left the cashier and i had a good chuckle :lol:
*Manda*

KamiKowaku

Post by KamiKowaku » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:54 pm

today at work i had "WOOOOOOOOOOW *stares at me*" from a little girl lol her mum just laughed and told her to stop it.

then after work i had "cooooooor" by a group of chavs :?

then at the bus stop as i was walking past i heard a girl say "wow, cool hair."

then walking past more chavs... im not even going to repeat what they said :(

another time when i was walking though town, i had some chav on a bike shouting "errrr mouldy dreads! #!!*@ skank" i laghed in her face. and strolled off. lol

i get alot of comments in one day hah.
i allways see a old jamacan man in a wheelchair evry morning on my way to work hes allways like "wooo very tropical" or "changed again?" then sticks hes thumbs up haha hes so sweet.
KamiKowaku- Taking custom orders for extensions and falls.

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”