comments about your hair by the general public

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
MrsEss

Re: comments about your hair by the general public

Post by MrsEss » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:35 pm

i had my first chav laugh once i'd walk past him yesterday :lol: it's so pathetic that they think it'd bother me!!!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

kiss_of_death

Post by kiss_of_death » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:15 pm

non relevant but shouldn't this be a sticky?
I wont do it with you, I'll do it to you!
Email = death_kiss_dreads@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/deathkissdreads

snapaxle

Post by snapaxle » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:15 pm

I've only ever been complimented. =D Usually it goes like this: "OH EMM GEE IS THAT REAL? ... it's not? IT'S SO PRETTY." I've had a few people tell me that they want me to make dreads for them or ask how I make them.

What's funny is that I usually just wear my dreads in a fall as a medium-high ponytail, so even if they were real, in order to make it look that way I would have had to only dread the "tail" part of the ponytail while keeping the top part stick straight. o.O

I really want to install some blue and blonde curlies, though, so we'll see if I get some more exciting responses when I do that =P

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:24 pm

in talking to people i tend to get good reactions but the one thing i've noticed that really pisses me off is that whenever i go into a shop, the second they see me, security guards start following me around like weird hair is a symptom of kleptomania. especially as i work in a shopping centre and they all know exactly who i am and where i work anyway.
on the bright side my boss says i can dye/shave my hair however i please, the only issue is wearing a hat at work so i can't have dreads installed or it just won't fit on my head. falls it is lol.
/emmy x

sammu

Post by sammu » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:00 pm

Lilinth wrote:in talking to people i tend to get good reactions but the one thing i've noticed that really pisses me off is that whenever i go into a shop, the second they see me, security guards start following me around like weird hair is a symptom of kleptomania. especially as i work in a shopping centre and they all know exactly who i am and where i work anyway.
on the bright side my boss says i can dye/shave my hair however i please, the only issue is wearing a hat at work so i can't have dreads installed or it just won't fit on my head. falls it is lol.
I get that a lot. I call the manager over in the shop I'm getting grief at and tell them that the security guard is making me uncomfortable, and why would someone so VISABLE as me want to steal? Not that I would anyway but IT'S IMPOSSIBLE WITH ILLUMINOUS BLUE DREADS. They often apologise, all embarrassed like, and I get left alone.

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:42 am

That's weird, I've never had that - I dunno if it's just because I'm so oblivious I don't notice, or whether the security guards round here are a bit more intelligent (ie, they follow chavs around instead!) but I've never ever had that, no matter how I'm dressed. :roll:
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:50 am

i've been followed around before when i've had a trolley full of shopping...what am i going to do...make a dash for it with a full trolley?? :roll:
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Yup, I get the same reaction. Pink-haired girls are a beacon, why the hell would they steal?

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:13 pm

I recently dyed my hair blue, and when I went to shopping to buy chocolate (yum) I had a little girl stop in her tracks with the most awestruck look on her face, and yell "DAD! SHE'S GOT BLUE HAIR! LOOK AT HER!" It was so cute :D
More human than human

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:50 pm

My local milk bar, the owner, I've known him my whole life. Whenever I'm at the shop, he always tells his customers "LOVE THE HAIR" and points at me haha.
It's funny!
Kids often stare and ask what they are. I'm the only one around here with synth dreads and probably green hair haha.

Kodachi

Post by Kodachi » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:47 pm

I've gotten both good and bad reactions. I've had people touch my hair behind my back or just smooshing their hands into my falls. It's a little rude in my opinion because, well, it's my hair. I don't slap my hands into my friends or random strangers hair because of how it looks. That's just weird and unsanitary! I don't know where your hands been and my head isn't a toy! That and one friend totally demolished the ends of one of my cyberlox because he stuck his finger in it and ripped the lox off (after I spent a night inhaling nail polish fumes putting clear polish on the ends.) Another friend got her finger stuck in it because she was playing with it too and it was bare minutes before class so I said "Either you figure out how to take your hands out my lox or you're coming to British literature with me." She got it out in time because I was serious.

My school is terribly conformist and you would swear on any holy book that North Face and American Eagle were the uniforms if you visited my university for a day. I think it's sad that it's the second most diverse school in America but just about nearly everyone acts like a stuck up yuppie (Then again, the majority of them are.) When I wear hairfalls, the biggest question is why did I choose the colors I did? Is it a teams color, a greek club (I hate frats and sororities, ugh), or some super deep meaning that no one has pondered upon? Erm no. Each fall has their own story for their colors (Green and white, first falls I made, the only colors that were around. Red and white, Japan falls, etc). They get upset that I'm not using some stereotypical reason that anyone without a brain could figure out. They're upset that something has personal meaning to someone that isn't them. Next biggest question is how are they sitting on my head like that. The quick and usually justifiable answer is my real hair is in buns and the falls are slapped onto it. Some people in my school still don't sit well with that. It's gotta be some world-changing massive reason to as why someone would do that to themselves! Because they're all carbon copies of each other, it's kinda funny messing with people who stare at me like an animal because when I look at them, they look away and then I pretend to take my attention elsewhere long enough for them to stare at me again and then I switch back to lookin at them!

I should have thicker skin but sometimes wearing falls make me crabby because people like to talk way too much. I've had people take pictures of me like I'm Haleys comment, snicker behind my back (more so of the black people...which is odd because I'm black.) and I've had people with more tracks than the US railroad in their hair look at me odd. Sometimes I do respond, "At least people can tell my hair is fake!" at them, where they look at me pissed. Sheesh, can't people be left alone? I'm not itching for attention, I just wanna have something nice in my hair!

Although I mostly make yarn falls and I have a black and orange twist set, one dude thought it was my honest-to-god hair tho. Either I'm that good or their vision is that bad.

I'm not a big fan of children but I do love when people are positive about my falls and ask good questions about them. I don't mind talking about hairfalls and making them to anyone! I think it's an interesting topic but I do mind when people treat me like I just fell off of Mars.

kiss_of_death

Post by kiss_of_death » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:21 am

i get lots of 'Are they real' , 'they're fake wow' ,& the ever funny ' can i feel them'
rofl i love that last one i always walk away laughing
I wont do it with you, I'll do it to you!
Email = death_kiss_dreads@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/deathkissdreads

malevolentglitter

Post by malevolentglitter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:15 am

oi, i always get people grabbing them without permission, which always leads to me getting into a fight, haha, not too crazy, i just hate inconsiderate idiots.

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:33 pm

malevolentglitter wrote:oi, i always get people grabbing them without permission, which always leads to me getting into a fight, haha, not too crazy, i just hate inconsiderate idiots.
I've had that sooo many times! I pisses me right off that people think it's ok to just grab someones hair in the middle of the street :evil:

Had one little girl do it in a shop, she was about 10 or so and my and my boyfriend where in the queue waiting to pay for a mountain of uber cheap accessories we had found (that shop is awesome lol) and I heard a voice saying 'Is it a wig? I think it's a wig.... yea, it's a wig'
I turned around to see this girl asking a lady who must of been her grandma about my hair. Grandma must have been embarrassed because she neither looked at me nor answered, in fact she seemed to be making a point NOT to look at me.
I said to the girl 'it's not a wig honey, they're extensions' and smiled, then turned back. Next thing I feel this huge yank on my hair so I yelped and looked back to see her with my dreads in her hands pulling on them! Again, Grandma did nothing. We paid in a hurry as I had to drag my fuming other half out before he lamped the kid and her granny!

I've had all the usual Predator and Bob Marley comments. Someone once stopped their car at the lights I had just crossed at and got out of the car, screamed 'PINK HAIR!!!!!!' then drove off. I was like 'Go, Captain Obvious!!!!'

Had someone chase me down the street once shouting after me because she wanted to know where I had got my hair done lol. When I told her I did it myself she just said 'Oh...', and disappeared into a shop :lol:

cherrygloom

Post by cherrygloom » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:39 pm

I've had all the usual Predator and Bob Marley comments. Someone once stopped their car at the lights I had just crossed at and got out of the car, screamed 'PINK HAIR!!!!!!' then drove off. I was like 'Go, Captain Obvious!!!!
I don't mind "I love your pink hair," or I even "I don't like your pink hair," but "You've got pink hair!" ... :shock: what? I know I have pink hair! At least some sort of analysis please. Obviously it's fantastic to get compliments, I don't even mind the odd negative comment, but seriously, just pointing out the colour? Got this at New Year in Poole: passed some girls going through the doorway of a shopping centre, one of them remarked "She's got pink hair!" and I was like ... yeah. I know. *rolleye*

luvplacebo

Post by luvplacebo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:01 pm

I generally get lovely comments and asked how long did it take to grow or how did I dye my hair, a lot of people don't realize they're fake, my brother calls them eurodreads though and he hates them because I have the perfect hair for real ones and I wear fakes, oh well. Little kids tend to love them and count the different colours
http://www.lighthousedreads.webs.com: offering 10% discounts for board users in exchange for photos

sammu

Post by sammu » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:35 pm

As I was serving at work today a nice old gentleman asked me if he could take a photo of my hair, simply because "If I told anyone about that wonderful hair, no one will believe me!". Aww... :lol:

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:51 pm

Rhaeniel wrote:That's weird, I've never had that - I dunno if it's just because I'm so oblivious I don't notice, or whether the security guards round here are a bit more intelligent (ie, they follow chavs around instead!) but I've never ever had that, no matter how I'm dressed. :roll:
the stupidest thing is i work in the shopping centre (its an incredibly small shopping centre) and i work in the bakery where they all get their lunch, they just dont recognise me because i have to wear a hat and hairnet plus no make up at work, i even know some of them by name, one day i'll end up kicking them
only nice security guy is the poor bastard who takes the same bus with me at 5.15am, incidentally the only security guy who always gets free coffee....
/emmy x

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:47 pm

CirqueMachine wrote:As I was serving at work today a nice old gentleman asked me if he could take a photo of my hair, simply because "If I told anyone about that wonderful hair, no one will believe me!". Aww... :lol:
Haha, that reminded me of this awesome old man from Tenessee who I served once who told me he was going to 'tell the folks back home' about my hair :D He was such a legend.
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

neonpixie

Post by neonpixie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:29 am

CirqueMachine wrote:As I was serving at work today a nice old gentleman asked me if he could take a photo of my hair, simply because "If I told anyone about that wonderful hair, no one will believe me!". Aww... :lol:
Aw! thats so sweet! Ive caught people trying to sneek photos of me on their phones- one it was some chavs and the other time it was a really sweet lad who wanted to take a photo of me to show his girlfriend cause he knew she'd like the colours ofthe dreads I had in & was trying to decide what colours to order her first set in! I ended up emailing him loads of detales of info about dreadmakers & where she could get more ideas such as here :D
Oscail mo shúile, Nìos mò, Èist è sin, Ar an tsáile snámha, Fol lol the doh fol the day...

NozomiStar

Post by NozomiStar » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:49 am

I get the preditor comments too.

a guy i had been working with for about 2months asked on the last day if they were real so i told him to touch them. I was soo mean i did the "grrrr " *snappy teeth* thing. he pooped it obviously. it was funny and i said he should of asked earlier, they dont bite. was funny, we had the giggles all day after that.
Nomzomi queen of the Noms

cybik

Post by cybik » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:25 pm

I got predator comments, but hey, I love predator like crazy, so I take it as a compliment! :lol:

I went to a thing with my mum a while ago when I had bright green dreads in and got lots of comments from middle aged and older women saying how much they liked them. Heh. But I've also been spat on because of the way I look, so I tend to get a little defensive if people touch my hair. :|
http://sana.etsy.com - my jewellery on etsy.
http://sana-jewellery.blogspot.com - my jewellery/crafts talk blog.
http://www.susannahgoodyear.co.uk - my main website.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:53 pm

Cutest thing ever, young kids in a parked car, window down.

A little boy looks out the window and goes "AWESOME" and I looked at him, smiled, turned back and he said "BLUE HAIIIIIIR".

Mesmerised little kiddo! :) Made my day.

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:52 pm

with the bob marley thing why is it that idiots will say that to white girls with fake pink dreads in but would they dare say that to a black guy with real dreads like marleys? would they f**k

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 pm

I don't have dreads in all that often, as I utterly fail at making my own and don't often have the money to buy any, but the last set I had in were long brown-to-emerald green transitions and my boyfriend at the time nicknamed me Cthulhu which was AWESOME. I took to tying them in a knot in front of my face and pretending they were tentacles. When I had that kit in, I was expecting my work colleagues to go a bit nuts.. I worked in a call centre for the jobcentreplus so it was mostly "normal" types working there. I got people who I didn't know coming up to me and saying how I brightened the place up! I even won a prize (I had them in over Macmillan cancer research day, and the competition was "best green outfit") for them. In fact, I can't remember any real negative comments I've ever had with dreads in apart from chavs sniggering when I walk past.

My friends and people I see regularly think something's wrong if I don't have some part of my hair dyed a random colour - at the moment my fringe is blue and pink.

And I'm one of the backcombers as well, which gets a good few "nice birdsnest love" comments from drunk chavs/townies when I go out. I mean, dude, I listen to glam metal and when I go out, it's with the boy who's the freakin spitting image of Nikki Sixx circa the Shout At The Devil album. We have backcombed hair, deal with it

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”