comments about your hair by the general public

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
poxabomination

Re: comments about your hair by the general public

Post by poxabomination » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:24 pm

manchee wrote:I think it annoys me more when its that kind of comment from someone who wore synth dreads before dreading their hair. Almost like it never happened and now its cool for them to look down on synth dread wearers :roll:
:lol: :lol: haha yess!

Elitist people... sigh. Kind of like when someone is soooo goth/punk/whatever, and so cool, and they make fun of younger kids for being "posers" and shopping at hot topic and blah blah blah. Because obviously they were BORN wearing all the cool clothes they do now.. oh wait, they weren't. Everyone goes through an awkward phase where they're trying to find their style. I can make fun of myself for being one of those kids with racoon eyeliner, one green streak in my frizzy brown hair, xl trip pants and Invader Zim shirts, but for some reason people want to pretend they were never like that and 'you're doing it wrong' if you were. It irritates the hell out of me. :lol:
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:58 pm

I had a little girl go all dread elitist on me a few months ago. I was wearing my pink miasmas and had taken my niece to the park, when two little girls (probably 8 or 9) came up and started asking questions. I explained a little, and one of them says "well MY daddy has REAL dreads." and turned her nose up! The other girl mumbled that she thought mine were cool as they walked away. I was a little shocked!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

manchee

Post by manchee » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:16 pm

poxabomination wrote:
:lol: :lol: haha yess!

Elitist people... sigh. Kind of like when someone is soooo goth/punk/whatever, and so cool, and they make fun of younger kids for being "posers" and shopping at hot topic and blah blah blah. Because obviously they were BORN wearing all the cool clothes they do now.. oh wait, they weren't. Everyone goes through an awkward phase where they're trying to find their style. I can make fun of myself for being one of those kids with racoon eyeliner, one green streak in my frizzy brown hair, xl trip pants and Invader Zim shirts, but for some reason people want to pretend they were never like that and 'you're doing it wrong' if you were. It irritates the hell out of me. :lol:
I still think Invader Zim tshirts are cool, specially gir ones, but shhh :lol:

kittyno84

Post by kittyno84 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:37 pm

manchee wrote:I think it annoys me more when its that kind of comment from someone who wore synth dreads before dreading their hair. Almost like it never happened and now its cool for them to look down on synth dread wearers :roll:

I did it the other way round, real dreads then synth. But never commented to people with fake dreads when I had real.

manchee

Post by manchee » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:40 pm

kittyno84 wrote:

I did it the other way round, real dreads then synth. But never commented to people with fake dreads when I had real.

I did it that way too.. except i didnt know anyone with synth dreads back then, but i certainly wouldnt have ever felt like that or said anything. Each to their own etc

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:41 pm

Yeah, its what it comes down to. Let people do what they want.. I don't know why people feel so threatened sometimes.

Hehe, don't get me wrong, I still love invader zim (I still have at least 3 of the shirts I wear occasionally) but it was the whole silly 13 year old mall goth outfit I was trying to bring to mind :lol: I also used to tie those wide shoelaces with prints on them around my head like a headband :roll: And I would only wear converses! And my whole outfit would match, including my makeup, and not in a good way. Oh yeah, and spiderweb eyeliner, done badly. I can make fun of myself, but to say other young girls who dress like that are posers and stupid and won't ever be "cool"? It just doesn't make sense. Everyone started from somewhere, and I know personally I'm constantly evolving. Every year I find myself a bit more, and I look back on the pictures where I think I look so great and badass and I just laugh!

And atomiclox, that is shocking. I'd be like "why you LITTLE BITC-..' hahaha. :lol:

xxkinzixx

Post by xxkinzixx » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:33 am

i had a girl come up to me in the bathroom at a show saying she liked my dreads and said she missed having her dreads. so i asked if she had real or synth dreads before. she goes "they were real. no, i don't do that fake sh*t." so i laughed and said, "oh... well mine are fake." her eyes got really wide and she started apologizing saying she didn't mean to be rude. :lol: i didn't really care because i took it as a compliment that mine looked good enough to be real. at least she was nice about it and obviously felt bad for what she said (she apologized at least 3 different times, lol) but still i don't understand why it's even that big of a deal whether they are real or fake. can't we all just agree that dreads are awesome?? :D

aww man, everyone goes through that ridiculously awful phase at one point, lol. and for young ones in america if you want the alternative look, you have hot topic and that's what you're stuck with (in the days before online shopping, lol) i'm pretty sure at least 90% of kids here learn about "goth" from hot topic... unfortunately. i'll admit sometimes i will laugh to myself and think "wtf were they thinking leaving the house like that??" but it seems like every time i look back on old pics of myself i think the same thing, haha. most of the time all they need is someone to help them develop their style. and also i think we should burn down hot topic :lol:
SYNTHETIKZERO - Custom Jewelry, Synth & Wool Dreads, Hair Accessories
Etsy
Facebook

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:11 am

oh i cringe at old pictures of myself. lol. im soooo over this whole dread war though. i want to punch him. like f*ck you dude. my hair is f*cking hot

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:12 pm

eheheh, kinzi, yess! :lol: And that's exactly it. I liked a lot of the.. I dunno, "good/cool" clothes?.. when I was younger, but they were just simply not available to me. Plus, being jobless, I was limited to what my mom would allow me to buy because she didn't want me to be one of those goth devil worshippers. I ended up starting to make a lot of my own stuff before I could shop online!

And yeh, there have been times where I've had to try not to laugh when I see some kiddies with black eyeliner tears and all that, but its more because its like looking at myself in the past and going "what the fuck was I thinking!?" :lol: And I mean, some of them grow up and out of it, too.

And about that girl... maybe she'll think differently about synth now? ;) That is an incredibly rude thing to say, but I mean.. I'm sure I've said things like that accidentally before. I don't do it now because I'm always very wary of situations like that and don't want to be rude!

xxkinzixx

Post by xxkinzixx » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:57 am

poxabomination wrote:eheheh, kinzi, yess! :lol: And that's exactly it. I liked a lot of the.. I dunno, "good/cool" clothes?.. when I was younger, but they were just simply not available to me. Plus, being jobless, I was limited to what my mom would allow me to buy because she didn't want me to be one of those goth devil worshippers. I ended up starting to make a lot of my own stuff before I could shop online!
story of my life!! no, seriously. :lol: my parents were terrified by my taste in clothing so i had to just start making my own!
SYNTHETIKZERO - Custom Jewelry, Synth & Wool Dreads, Hair Accessories
Etsy
Facebook

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:23 am

poxabomination wrote:
eheheh, kinzi, yess! And that's exactly it. I liked a lot of the.. I dunno, "good/cool" clothes?.. when I was younger, but they were just simply not available to me. Plus, being jobless, I was limited to what my mom would allow me to buy because she didn't want me to be one of those goth devil worshippers. I ended up starting to make a lot of my own stuff before I could shop online!

story of my life!! no, seriously. my parents were terrified by my taste in clothing so i had to just start making my own!
im lucky i guess my parents never really cared how i dressed. they wouldnt give me money for it though, so my wardrobe consisted mainly of old boys band tees from thrift stores that i reconstructed until i was about 15 and could get a job.

Loric

Post by Loric » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:49 pm

I have 3-4 friends with real dreads who go through stages of being elitest about them. They're all very 'hippy' normally they're fine and compliment me on any dreads i show them pictures of. But after a few drinks whenever dreads come up (usually the different methods of doing real and synth dreads) at least one rounds on me and and says i have no clue about real dreads (i've install a few heads so i do actually) and when i mention any way that isnt theirs they like to claim its totally different with synth (they wouldn't believe me about crotchet or extending read dreads). This bugs me because before i started doing synth ones when i was still researching them and had no clue i started out researching real dreads first. For them its they're way or no way and if you havnt had dreads in for at least 2 years or so they're not real dreads either. It bugs me because it makes light of what i do.

kitcupcake

Post by kitcupcake » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:12 am

I've had so many different styles and colors, so I've heard pretty much every compliment and insult under the sun by now. Some of the highlights:
  • Being called "a X-Men" by a little girl who asked me what mutant powers my pink hair gave me. When I told her I could make her smile whenever I wanted to and watched her break into the biggest grin, she told me to say hi to Professor X for her. :D
  • An older woman with her two grandchildren at the supermarket asked me how to get her hair dark blue like mine, since she thought the stereotype of the "blue haired little old lady" would amuse her grandchildren and freak their father out. I was then told in hushed tones, away from the young 'uns, that he was an uptight prick and she wanted the kids to grow up with a sense of creativity and humor. Go old lady!
  • My students constantly telling me that I was their favorite art teacher. [I also gave them assignments to design their own superhero costume, make a mask by drawing upside down, and I constantly brought in cookies and hula hooped while they worked, so that might've had something to do with it too...]
  • Customers asking to take pictures of me during comic shows. It always happens, though I think I got the most requests when my hair was blonde and dreaded. I'd always thought people wanted pictures of either celebrities or people with great costumes, but apparently all you need is "neat hair."
Unfortunately, people are sometimes dicks. It happens. Plus, I live in the south, where bullshit ain't be all tolerated and shit. XD Though luckily I was raised on a steady diet of quick wit, so I've learned how to deal with the ruder ones:
  • I was at the mall one time when I passed by a group of large black men who all jumped out of my way and loudly yelled "DAMN DAWG WHAT'S THAT," "BITCH BE TRIPPIN' ON THAT HOT TOPIC," and my personal favorite, "SHE BE WORSHIPPIN' THAT SATAN!!!" [I still think that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard, but anyway.] I turned around, smiled, and walked up to the biggest guy and said, "Are you really screaming in the middle of the mall about how scared you are of a tiny white girl? Because, let me tell you, your boyfriends here aren't impressed." I got high fived by at least three of them and they turned their ridicule to the ringleader. Boosh.
  • Being in a college town, this place is lousy with hipsters. You know the type -- one tiny streak of red in their hair makes them, like, totes indie and whatever, right? >.< Ugh. Though if I have the nerve to dye my whole head [or, god forbid, rock a bitchin' mohawk] then I'm copying them, or I'm being fake, or I'm an attention whore, etc.etc. They all pull the same face when they see me -- that look like they've got the flu and their stomach hurts. Everyone knows what I'm talking about, right? My favorite thing to do is walk up to them and stage-whisper "Are you okay? You look like you've just shit your pants. The bathrooms are in the back, I'm sure someone can bring you clean panties if you ask nicely!" It completely shocks them, and most of them wander their way to the bathrooms wondering if there's something on their pants, so the whole place ends up thinking they HAVE shit themselves. The lack of logic baffles me, but it's worked on three seperate occasions.
  • Occasionally, I have to deal with the dreaded "mom making a fuss in front of her kids" ordeal. [It's never dads calling you out, always screechy harpies. Has anyone else noticed this?] Usually they make some snide remark, and I just shrug and ask "Would you rather be like me, and be awesome and not care what people think? Or like your mom, who clearly has a stick up her big ol' butt?" If that's not enough to get the kid to laugh, I add, "Who do you think's having more fun?" Gets 'em every time!
  • I once was out with friends, walking along the sidewalk one minute, then BAM! I was laying flat on my back staring up at some fat redneck I'd never met before. He'd grabbed a handful of bright pink hair and yanked me right off my feet. I got up and asked him, y'know, what the absolute fuck made him think that kind of bullshit was okay. His reply: "I didn't think yer hairs was real. I thoughts it were a wig." UM WHAT. I asked him if he thought it was okay to walk up behind a stranger and rip their wig off, and he just shrugged and said, "Yeah? I guess so." I told him he had three seconds to disappear around the block or I'd beat his ass, and I've NEVER seen a fat man run faster. That one still knocks me for a loop.
Luckily, the good far outweighs the bad and I've rarely had to get nasty. Usually I get smiles and kind words from all kinds of people. I've been rocking a shaved head for right at a month now, and 9 times out of 10 people get excited and geek out over it. I did have a guy call me every manner of "queer" insult his drunk brain could process, and after I explained to him that I don't exclusively love the ladies, he asked if he could come home with me "since I liked the dick too." My response? "Well since you don't have one, I don't guess it matters too much, hm?" He wittily called me "a dumb dyke lesbo bitch" and stumbled away. Yeesh.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:40 am

The post above me is FULL OF WIN.

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:11 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:The post above me is FULL OF WIN.
:lol: I read it last night last thing before bed and I was laughing hysterically.

kitcupcake

Post by kitcupcake » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:03 am

Luckily, I work in the comics industry where having weird hair is a huge advantage. People often come to my booth and comment on how much they love my hair, since it's mostly middle-aged men in baseball caps working shows hahaha. When I'm not doing shows, I'm working at home where there's no dress code so I can do whatever I want to my hair without really worrying about it. Negative comments are so few and far between that when someone does say something it just rolls off my shoulders anyway. [Plus, I make a pretty good living working in comics, so it's hard to hurt my feelings when I'm doing something I enjoy AND I'm making bank at the same time.] :lol:

SammiiSynthetic

Post by SammiiSynthetic » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:50 pm

:lol: oh my, all these comments :D
(also, reviving this thread!)

Hm, I don't think i've had too many comments on my hair when I've had my dreads in, actually.. I suppose I don't wear them too much + go out much :?
But I get far more positive comments then bad thank goodness :D I mean, I don't really care about the bad comments, but of course they're annoying :lol:

I suppose the most recent was when I was at a dollar store, and I believe I just had pink and purple hair at the time, maybe it was just purple.. either way. This oldish lady was totally like "OH I love your hair! You remind me of burning man! it makes me so happy :D" and I was just like "aw :oops: Thank youuu"
Although I was slightly confused because I was even wearing just some pretty normal clothes.. like a black top under a black hoodie with black leggings and a black skirt with black knee high converse! :lol: (wow so gawth ;D)

There was also this old lady out walking her dog when I was walking to the store, and she was like "Whoaaa how'd you get your hair like that?" and I just told her, "uh well, bleach and dye" :lol: and she actually said it was so cute :oops: d'awh.. old ladies. Then we kinda talked for a little bit and I pet her dog cause she said he wanted to be pet and if he didn't get pet he'd get all sad... :lol:

Another cute/kinda confusing one.. is when this little girl was with her grandma, and I could hear her telling her grandma about my hair and stuff and then I guess she was too shy, so then her grandma came up to me and said something like "my granddaughter just adores your hair and wanted me to tell you that she thinks you look like the little mermaid!" ^_^
But the confusing part, my hair was either pink or blue at the time! :lol: Not red :P But hey, she loved it 8-)

and of course theres been a bunch of little kids spazzing out over my hair c:
But once there was a little kid who actually seemed a bit pissed off by my existence :i6: Parent didn't seem to keen on it either.. I guess she already brainwashed him into thinking non-"normal" people are horrid. :(

But I don't think any people have actually SAID anything bad to me.. hm... They just look horrified like omgwtfisthishorriblethinghere :lol: :lol:

I guess I could go on forever about allll the comments, but i'll stop here for now ;)

Oh yeah, and my dad says my dreads remind him of predator. :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sammiissynthetics

http://www.facebook.com/SammiisSynthetics

I make synthetic dreads c:

I'm accepting custom orders!

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”