Hair extension

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Little Bean

Hair extension

Post by Little Bean » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Total newbie to the forum so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place. I'm debating whether or not to put extensions into my hair. Had it cut short and kinda wishing I'd not done it. I'd like to know what I need to think about before I go and talk to a hair dresser - I want some very basic things to think about. My hair is quite fine but also quite thick. I don't think I've got the confidence to go for the full dreadlock look - I think I'm more likely to think about hair extensions. Any help or advice will be gratefully received. Thanks

IKickShins

Re: Hair extension

Post by IKickShins » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:44 am

I'd recommend asking what method they'll be using to install the extensions, and then do research on that. Some common methods are fusion, microrings (aka linkies, crimp beads, micro beads), weaving, and pinchbraiding, but it's best to ask because different stylists use different techniques.

If you're adding more than shoulder length, make sure they're using 100% remy/remi hair -- that means that the hair has the cuticle all going in one direction, and it's important to use remy for longer extensions to keep them from tangling. If the extensions are shorter, remy is still the best way to go, but it's not as crucial.

If you want really high quality, the best kind of human hair for loose extensions is virgin remy. Virgin means that the hair has not been processed at all (like it hasn't been dyed or bleached and is the same color as it was on the person's head that it was cut from). Virgin hair is pretty much always remy.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:18 pm

When you meet with the hair dresser, be sure to ask for her portfolio of work with extensions to make sure she knows what she's doing. Slapping extensions on someone's head is one thing, but getting them to blend and look natural takes a lot of skill.

Little Bean

Post by Little Bean » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks guys. Very helpful

Darrinatic

Post by Darrinatic » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Did you end up getting them? how does it look?

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”