Human hair ethics?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
nyxed

Human hair ethics?

Post by nyxed » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:13 pm

(Sorry if there's already a post on this topic--I searched but didn't find any.) I've just recently started getting into hair extensions, but that was just after I'd read an article (not this one, but similar: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/ju ... heobserver ) about how some hair for extensions is collected in less than favorable conditions...so for now I'm sticking to synthetic, though I'm on the fence. I really do like the look of human hair. I'd like to think that most of the hair out there is willingly donated, but is that really the case...? How do you feel about using human hair? Are there some companies that are known for ethical practices? Note, too, that the article I've linked is quite old--if you know of any crackdowns on this behavior or if there's been a change in practice since, I'd be glad to hear it. :) Also, while the Guardian can be a reputable source, this seems kind of like shock journalism, especially the headline...in short, I'm really not sure what to think.
i hope they cannot see / the limitless potential
living inside of me / to murder everything
i hope they cannot see

i am the great destroyer

NirvanaMarie

Re: Human hair ethics?

Post by NirvanaMarie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:35 pm

I think it's a very fine line, but most human hair is sourced ethically. You should take a look at the documentary "Good Hair". The majority of extension sold is actually hair of asian decent. And it is a way for people to earn money by growing their hair.

Librarynerd

Re: Human hair ethics?

Post by Librarynerd » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:05 pm

I second the recommendation for "Good Hair". Excellent film, and funny too. Chris Rock made it.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”