Bit of guidance please!

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Goffy_lucc

Bit of guidance please!

Post by Goffy_lucc » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:41 pm

Random question, how much on average do you guys charge for a custom set of dreads?
I don't know whether to charge per dread or per set.

Also, do you think there is such a thing as "too much" information on a dread seller's site?
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

MrsEss

Re: Bit of guidance please!

Post by MrsEss » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:41 pm

I believe it was IKS that said work out how much you want the earn per hour & then add your material costs & VAT.

Mine were about £1.30 per dread, but I used to charge per 45 DE kit. However, I only ever need 30 DE's so I always have to email the seller anyway.

Er, depends on how much info is classed as too much. Look at a few sites, IKS, Diversity hair, the cute alternative, vixen sings black, mine. Every one is different.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:42 pm

It would really depend on the number of colors used, the type of dread (solid, transitional, curly, etc.) ordered. In my hey day I was selling for $120.00 a set, but have noticed that this price has seemed to drop somewhat since. I think it is a combination of a bad economy and a lot more sellers springing up. Keeps prices competitive. To be honest, it is one of the other reasons I started backing off from dread making and moving on to some other projects.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Miss Liberty wrote:. I think it is a combination of a bad economy and a lot more sellers springing up. Keeps prices competitive.
I 100% agree with this. With so many 'sellers' willing to promote themselves on ebay and the like as 'the cheapest deal around', 'best price you'll find for dreads' then it starts to devalue the product. If you choose to make a decent profit for the work you put in you may find that alot of people are put off by the price and will opt for the cheaper option even though they will most likely be compromising quality.

UK prices from reputable makers average around £50-£75 for plain sets. Obviously you should charge more for extras. By reputable I mean people who have established themselves within the dread community and frequently produce good quality work, not the 'facebook sellers' which seem to have sprung like wildflowers

As for information, I don't think there could be too much information as long as you make sure that everything important is easy to find and to read. If you decided to set any Terms and Conditions then the more information the better, so that you cover yourself completely.

pinky

Post by pinky » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:53 pm

i try to be fair with my pricing>.< i charge around $80-$100 US depending on amount of colors and special dreads. i would like to make more per set but i go by my costs and my experience. i've been dreading for 3 years so i charge a more than i did a year ago.

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”