black naturals

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
MistressH

black naturals

Post by MistressH » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:46 pm

*not really sure if this belongs here, in anarchy or in a techniquey section*

I now have black hair (again) and am about to start a set of balck and forest green naturals. When I mentioned this in passing to a friend she ppulled a bit of a face. I asked her to ellaborate. She really liked my midbrown to orangey naturals but thinks that as a white girl I should avoid black natural dreads as it might look offensive or wrong....

At the moment i personally prefer the natural style plus they take so less time to make, obviously I dont want to offend anyone and being offended is subjective, so I had a quick search on here and it seems that black naturals are not as common as other colour naturals, is this purely because less people have black hair nowadays or for anther reason?

thoughts please
x

MrsEss

Re: black naturals

Post by MrsEss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:42 pm

No idea. I don't think black naturals looks wrong. What if you have real dreads & your hair is black?

I am aware mine are blue & black, but:
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:55 pm

thats a really bizarre thing for her to say in my opinion 0_0 I understand the concern... sort of.. but in no way do I see that as offensive. At all. My hair is naturally near black in the winter, and I am a WHITE girl :lol:

I've seen plenty of people here with black naturals, maybe they aren't as common because people like having fun, "unnatural" colors in their hair. I say do whatcha want!
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Zombiæ

Post by Zombiæ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:13 am

Uh...I really don't understand on what your friend bases her opinion on? Nothing wrong with black dreads! :D
♥ ♫ Yo ho ho and a bottle of RAM ♫ ♥

MistressH

Post by MistressH » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:37 am

Seems she has an opinion on everything I do atm.... I wanted to check though incase I was missing something obvious ha ha!

emmalooxx

Post by emmalooxx » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:15 pm

am i stupid? i don't get why it would offend anyone? go for it! don't worry about what this person has to say, sounds good to me what your plans are. look forward to seeing the install!
<3 "I don't consider myself to be a pessimist, I see a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain...And yet I feel soaked to the skin. " - Leonard Cohen

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:11 pm

emmalooxx wrote:am i stupid? i don't get why it would offend anyone? go for it! don't worry about what this person has to say, sounds good to me what your plans are. look forward to seeing the install!
I think maybe the person thinks it would offend black people somehow? Like as in.. black dreads are their thing? I dunno. Like maybe she thinks it would look like you were trying to be black. I think its kind of bizarre.
Or maybe she just doesn't think you look good in black hair and prefers the orangey colors and is trying to come up with a "better" reason? That makes way more sense than saying they're somehow offensive :?
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Ya, that's kinda weird. Doc's rocked black dreads before! I personally haven't gone black with my own hair, but that's just because of personal preference. I'm sure any color could "offend" or "bother" people, but it's your hair, so rock it how you want!

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:16 am

Black dreads are actually some of my favorites, as they tend to look classier than most other colors. Definitely go for it!!

Also, black people's dreads tend to be more on the side of twists than dreads (the hairs attach to form a dread, but they're usually made by twisting) so they'd look like white girl dreads, anyway. :P

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:44 am

:shock:

That's a really strange opinion. I think black naturals would look great, and I've seen them done.
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”