Banning on hair extentions??

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
DaisyChains

Banning on hair extentions??

Post by DaisyChains » Tue May 31, 2011 7:11 am

just heard on BBC1 that 'they' (whoever they may be lol) are thinking of banning hair extentions due to it being damaging to hair!!!! i cant see this being possible due to the fact any good technican should warn of the damage to hair b4 the installation so you have them knowing the risks, plus alot of people put their own in anyway!

your thoughts??

personally i think its crazy!!!!!

diversityhair

Re: Banning on hair extentions??

Post by diversityhair » Tue May 31, 2011 7:54 am

Ive heard this in the news so many times and it's such a load of rubbish.

1) How many more things are they going to take away peoples decisions to do?? If 'they' keep going like this soon the country will be a nation of zombified idiots waiting to be told they can or cant do something for fear of it damaging or killing them.

2) If extensions are installed correctly, by a trained and fully qualified professionl, the risk of damage to the hair is minimum and it is up to the individual as a client to make the decision whether they want them based on this, not the decision of the big 'they'.

3) If anyone unqualified wants to offer extensions to customers, then unfortunately they can, as there are no regulations regarding extensions specifically.

In my opinion, they should stop looking at banning things, and look at regulating them. May it so any extensions operative has a recognised qualification which they can show to any client booking in. There are too many awful extensionists out there and they give the rest of us who have spent money and time training, a bad name.

The above refers to loose extensions, as this is what they keep talking about... what are they going to do? ban afro salons from doing braids??? I dont think so.

Others on here, doing dreads, loose extensions and stuff on friends and themselves without qualifications is something different, and everyone should have the freedom to 'DIY' their hair or a friends if asked. Its the 'full time businesses' that claim to be something they arent that are the problem, that the fact that the big 'they' are seeing the damage in celebrities hair... damage caused by wearing wefts for a night and pulling them out, then different ones another night, having way too many bonded extensions in the hair than there should be, just to make it look amazingly thick. Celebs give their hair no rest from them and they are always put in and taken out before they are ready (bomds will obviously soften during wear so at the natural point to take them out they are ready and easy to be removed), if you take them out too early, the bonds will be very solid still and this is where damage can occur.

Just my two cents worth.

I cant see them banning them, they've been saying it for years. Im all up for regulating it though.

I should also note this rant is about loose extensions.
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Tue May 31, 2011 9:11 am

I haven't heard this, but like diversityhair says it must be salons doing loose extensions they are talking about.

How could they possibly "ban" people from braiding things into their own hair? that would be like suggesting that they might ban ponytails or something.

And to suggest that all "damaging" things should be banned is ridiculous. I mean smoking is damaging, drinking alcohol is damaging, driving a car is damaging, sky diving is damaging. they don't ban all these things, they do as diversityhair says and regulate them
telling it like it is!

DaisyChains

Post by DaisyChains » Tue May 31, 2011 1:20 pm

as per usual the woman they interviewed was an extreme case, she lost all her hair in the back :shock: which puzzles me why on earth she left them in if she could see her hair was being torn out, she said it was weeks of agony! well why leave them in??? i was shouting at the radio alot this mornin lol

i must admit the 1st time i had the weaved extentions i lost some hair around the front where the tension was a bit much so i had them re-installed a little further back and that solved the problem,

i 100% agree with there being regulations, as with all services like that there needs to be an industry standard so the risks are minimised, seems so odd they are tryin to ban when it clearly wouldnt work!

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Tue May 31, 2011 1:26 pm

Well there is the answer right there... 'WEAVED'... if she was a while lady having a weave then it's to be expected. Weaves are designed for afro hair because it is strong and can take the tightness off the weave. Caucasion hair cannot take weaves, and should never be subjected to it.

It comes down to people being ill informed and salons being too money grabbing to turn down clientelle if their hair is unsuitable.
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

DaisyChains

Post by DaisyChains » Tue May 31, 2011 1:36 pm

in fairness to the lady who installs my extentions when i have loose hair put in thats what i asked for knowing the risks, i have a strong hairdressing background so know the different methods and there pro's and cons for different types of hair, but it does sound like the woman who was in that interview got screwed! it still baffles me why she didnt just have them taken out??? would make sense to me, if it hurts that much and ur hair is falling out take them out lol x

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”