who else just palm rolls?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
MissPlastik

who else just palm rolls?

Post by MissPlastik » Mon May 09, 2011 1:51 am

sooo rovingy goodness.
:)

I've seen more and more roving dreadmakers using washing machines.
And alot of others use towels & mats to roll on.

obviously for the buyers its a good thing, less work & time so cheaper dreadies.

But does anyone else still completely palm roll?
(as in no using floors legs etc)

I personally just palm roll, but then I wonder sometimes if all the extra effort & hours is worth it.
money wise anyway.

so guys, what do you do?

^_^

corpseesproc

Re: who else just palm rolls?

Post by corpseesproc » Mon May 09, 2011 7:20 am

Ive only actually made 3 sets, an two were just palm rolled (I did squish them in a towline after to dry them quicker) but I'd didn't find rolling them on a towl helped.
The latest set was half palm rolled andt then half washing machined. I don't think I'll be using the machine again, it worked but I think mine come out neater without it.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleFusion
Bubble Fusion has an etsy!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Mon May 09, 2011 8:45 am

I have used both methods and like them for different reasons.

I find palmrolling is incredibly hard on my hands, mainly due to the heat and the detergent, but I like the control it gives over the dreads and the results.

The washing machine method does remove that aspect, but uses a LOT of energy in terms of water and electric. It is also a bit of an unknown quantity; the moment you pull them out of the machine can be quite nerve-wracking. I've not personally found it to be much quicker, but there is less manual graft involved. Unless it goes wrong.

Overall though, when you factor in the extra cost of the water and electric, I don't really think the washing machine method is cheaper.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

corpseesproc

Post by corpseesproc » Mon May 09, 2011 9:52 am

What you said about hard on your hands is so true, I always feel like I've been exfoliating for days or something after lol
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleFusion
Bubble Fusion has an etsy!

MissPlastik

Post by MissPlastik » Mon May 09, 2011 4:58 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:
I find palmrolling is incredibly hard on my hands, mainly due to the heat and the detergent, but I like the control it gives over the dreads and the results.

agreed, I've mastered my palmrolling now, and get my dreads just the way I like them.

It takes me around 3/4 days of work to do a full set :O
that includes lunchbreaks, changing the water and de-prune..ing my hands >.<

but i normally have to fit kits around work so it takes me a pretty long time to make a kit.
compared to alot of other sellers anyway.

in a way i like the sound of quickly palmrolling and sticking em in the washing machine, i'd get so much more done, but at the same time like the fact that i get really excited when i've finnished a kit knowing how much work has gone into them ^-^ :geek:

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:18 pm

I used palm rolling and towel rolling for the first set I made. I think they were smoother than the set I put in the machine. I only wore the first set but they moulted quite a bit...not sure if thats just my inexperience or not
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Mon May 09, 2011 5:59 pm

MissPlastik wrote:agreed, I've mastered my palmrolling now, and get my dreads just the way I like them.

It takes me around 3/4 days of work to do a full set :O
that includes lunchbreaks, changing the water and de-prune..ing my hands >.<

but i normally have to fit kits around work so it takes me a pretty long time to make a kit.
compared to alot of other sellers anyway.

in a way i like the sound of quickly palmrolling and sticking em in the washing machine, i'd get so much more done, but at the same time like the fact that i get really excited when i've finnished a kit knowing how much work has gone into them ^-^
Even with the washing machine method though, you do need to roll them when they come out. And you have to do it quickly, otherwise they dry into funny shapes that are not possible to come back from. Added in a couple more wash cycles and it probably takes as long.

I personally like the less organised look of washing machine dreads, but I have screwed entire sets by putting them in the machine, which is something I have never done using the original method.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”