Setting up shop?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
FaerieGirl

Setting up shop?

Post by FaerieGirl » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Hey ladies

I'm going to college in the fall and I'm in need of an arty, crafty thing I can do that will possibley generate a little money for books and food and what not. I think I'm about ready to start selling/swapping my dreads, but I have a few questions about setting up shop. Hope there isn't a sticky or something with all this on here (If there isn't, there should be methinks.).
Anyway.

1) For my initial shop-set up I'm thinking I'll offer about 10 slots of basically free dreads in order to build up some good feed-back/happy customers and a nice portfolio. Customers will pay for supplies and shipping but nothing else and will get a happy little surprise with their order and a special place in my heart. :) Good? Bad? Stupid?

2) The above question leads into this nicely. What's a good average turn-around time? I was thinking 2-4 weeks? And in order to keep people from claiming they ordered dreads at the same as someone else, I'm thinking I'll have sort of a red light green light thing. Once you get the confirmation e-mail that I'm ready to get knotty, you can send the payment and I'll begin dreading. Good? Bad? Stupid?

3) How much should I charge? I know this is kind of a newbie question but I feel like since I'm just entering the market, my prices can't be full blown $120 for a set of falls. Should I base them on length and then work up to a standard price once I get a good reputation?

I think that's about it. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated here.... :)
P.S. If you're at all interested in the offer in #1, feel free to PM me!! :i9:
Taking over the world, one cupcake at a time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CausticCu ... 7885476928
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

LittlePinkFaery

Re: Setting up shop?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:18 pm

My advice would be to not run before you can walk- for want of a better phrase!

Perfect your craft and indeed do offer cost only slots for dreads/ hair. Offering free is not a good idea- who has faith in a free product- it can actually be counter productive- people can think if you think that little of your work then why buy from you in the future?

Think how much money you will be spending for free dreads- and indeed 10 sets of them- all that time? Are you really worth nothing? Of course you aren't!

Build up your portfolio, do lots of show offs and offer discount sets (you are unlikey to get man orders without lots of decent pictures).

As for a shop- do you mean trading properly? Or ebay/ etsy custom sales through here? Be aware of the legalites- many girls offering dreads are not registered as a business for tax purposes and this can be a veyr dodgy thing to do- be aware that if you are found out you can end up owing money...it is easy to set up a business and you can end up paying next to nothing in tax if you are not making very much.

If you are only going to occasionally make then you can get away with not being a business 'proper'.

EDIT: just re read and you want to charge for costs- good- but do try to take something for your time too!

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”