What type of dreads do you prefer?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Librarynerd

What type of dreads do you prefer?

Post by Librarynerd » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:11 am

I'm curious to know how many folks here wear only one type of dreads(twisted, natural, roving) or mostly wear one type? Has your preference changed of time? Do favor natural tones or unnatural? Do you mostly wear falls or installed dreads?
Or do you change it up constantly trying out all styles and colors?

Personally as a new dread maker and wearer(about 6 months) I've been trying out everything and find my favorite style change almost daily:)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

danixdorko

Re: What type of dreads do you prefer?

Post by danixdorko » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:08 am

So far I've only done twisted, but I want to get into roving soon! I started with falls but I've had 3 installs now and I love them! I'll try any colors that I think will look nice together but I usually have brown in there so they at least blend a little bit with my hair color because bleach doesn't really treat my hair nicely. :/ For me it's all about trying new things though so I'll probably swap it up in the future.
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:00 am

I've tried all...........stared with falls, followed by roving, then thick synth, thin synth, natural syth.....I haven't installed MM things though.

The thick synth made my had REALLY itchy, then thin was great, & the natural synth were lovely although they "poofed" out quite after a few days wear. My preference is easy.......the cute alternative's synth :D

I love roving, but I don't buy it from anyone (really) as I can make it myself, but never have more than 1 roving kit. I'm waiting for roving to wow me before I buy off someone else.

I've also installed colinette wool, which was lovely & warm :D

ETA: due to my OCD I must have some dreads that are the same colour as my hair...always have.
Last edited by MrsEss on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

manchee

Post by manchee » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:25 pm

I usually wear twisted kk dreads, if I have a job where I cant wear them then I usually wear twisted kk wigs outside of work. I used to wear twisted kk dread falls, but I just find wigs are so much easier and quicker to put on, and I think they look more natural. I have worn roving in the past, but I only like roving on me if its really short and really thin, Ive had a few sets that Ive made that ended up just being huuuuge. I mean I like big hair, but I also like it to look semi natural too :lol:

I usually prefer netural colours, browns and blondes, because it goes with my style much more and the colour clothes I wear (earthy natural colours mostly). Currently Im wearing natural non-twisted kk dread extentions. This is the first set of naturals Ive worn and I love love love them (so have to do a show off soon lol). Theyre so much lighter and just look so real and soft mmmm :D

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:40 pm

When it comes to wild hair, I really came for the crin and stayed for the synth. I started with cyberfalls which were light and fun, but hardly EVER wear them now.

I have an extreme weakness for curly dreads, and really wore nothing but those for quite a long time. It is only recently that I have gone back to wearing straight dreads. i find curly's dynamic, feminine and soft, and give great coverage.

When it comes to color schemes, I can't STAND having anything that doesn't match my base color as close as possible. For combos for myself, I usually go the "less is more" route. One base color with accents of another color, or splashes, transitionals, minimal color mixing. I find that even though the whole look is obviously not natural, using a tamer color scheme makes it look more natural.

I wear falls most always, with a few braided around the hairline to give the illusion of an install. I think I could get away with a full install at work, but only if the base color was natural. I am pretty married to special effects hair dye, so falls it is, at least for now.

this picture is a good representation of my usual M.O. My style does change from time to time, but I always end up back at this type of look:

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:57 pm

I love your joker inspired dreads miss lib. they are some of my favourites.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:16 pm

For synth I like natural palm rolled and I also like roving, wiggly roving is my fave.

I can only wear falls or an install only in the summer for 6 weeks- my job is not accomodating at all!

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:21 pm

I like skinny naturals in natural colors. If I do have any unnatural bits, it's usually just a few solid accents or streaks.

I prefer falls over extensions. Despite doing hair for over 10 years, I'm still incredibly slow at braiding, and I don't have the time or patience to do a full install on myself.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:56 pm

I have always preferred natural looking synth dreads, untwisted style. But in any colour, natural or not. Likewise I have always favoured complete installs. When complete installs were not possible I would wear a wig or partial install over falls. If ever I have worn a hair piece I have installed it to look as much like an install as possible. I have always liked my hair to look like maybe it could be natural if you didn't know anything about extensions. I have also always had a lot of people assume my extensions were real dreads.

As I got older and needed to tone down a bit I tended more to slightly (although probably not much) thinner dreads, slightly less of them, and in more natural tones. That said I would often still have bright colours as accents, usually as transitional tips on some dreads.

Now I have my own hair dreaded, and blonde all over. I haven't added any extensions to it yet (well, I have the length extended, by extending on to the end with permanent extenders, but no root added semi-perm extensions) as I am enjoying it just the way it is at the moment. If and when I do experiment with adding extensions into it I think I would be most likely to go with bright coloured roving, although would maybe go with transitional or splashed synth, either natural palm rolled style of crocheted. Again, to make it look as much like it could be natural as possible!
telling it like it is!

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:57 pm

I much prefer naturals over anything else I own. I've experimented with colour but never really liked having solid unnatural colour dreads.At the moment I'm really loving trans naturals though, the let me have some colour without being too overpowering.

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:58 pm

I'm in love with knotty no seals! I thought I'd hate them, but I think they look the best on me. I prefer to have some color in them :)

Khymeira

Post by Khymeira » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:46 am

Definitely a fan of the "somewhat-convincing" KK twisted synthetic-dread aesthetic: Natural root colour with a balanced ratio of unnatural-coloured accents. I've never particularly been a fan of all the foam and rexlace and tubular crin; I've yet to see it applied in a way that isn't too juvenile for my tastes, though I'm sure I would've gravitated towards it in my adolescence.

There's just something more elegant and provocative about a good install, sculpted in an even better updo. But falls are beginning to sound more appealing to me, because they're convenient and I'm not always in the mood to spend 4-5 hours in the bathroom with a protesting arm and cramping fingers!

xalternmommyx

Post by xalternmommyx » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:31 am

I've learned i can only tolerate wearing natural style kk or roving. naturals how ever tend to catch on things or shed easily for me so i definity prefer roving.

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:39 pm

Wow, I guess I'm in the minority to say I typically prefer "the louder the better" as far as colors. I prefer installs over falls and almost always do twisted synth dreads though I do like to wear roving when it's cold enough to (which is only a short time here in Florida).
I tend to have only unnatural colors and at times I'll do 5-8 different colors if I can get away with it. The closest to natural I get is either black, 613, or pure white and that's only ever accents.
I've recently worn natural style dreads and found, though lovely, they weren't really to my liking. I gravitated to the synth dread community because it helps me get one step closer to being the cartoon character I've strived for most of my life :lol:
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Yeah. I have to agree with Alexis.....I recently got a neon set from LS7 & they are AMAZING. Blue, with electric green/yellow trans & accent dreads. From my own personal dread experience I started with blck with a few hints of dark purple, then added pink & turquoise.........I think once you get a little more used to them you begin experimenting with colour.

Whenever I order dreads I simply ask for blue & whatever other colours you want.............I used to be a little more specific...ie no pastels, autumn shades or neons.............but I decided to throw caution to the wind & am really glad I did as I have some beautiful kits, ones that never would have happened had I been specific about colours.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:41 pm

I don't really like falls, worn well they can look ok but in my experience, 9 times out of 10 they're not worn well.

I really hate things like crin, foam etc.

I like neat, fairly thin, twisted synth in a base colour that matches the hair and two or three accent colours that complement the base on me. My hair is too fine to install thick dreads and I dislike neons etc.

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:58 pm

My preferred are the 'normal' twisted kk synth kind, and I prefer colourful dreads and curlies :D
I have worn everything though! Natties were comfier, but I found them too light. Roving are super comfy, but not so me, then again I've only had two sets.
I've only worn falls once in my time that was wayyyy back before I knew any of this existed and I made myself some wool falls. I wouldnt wear them now I dont think.
I have to have my hair matching my dread colour whenever I can.
I pretty much have to have my bangs separate too, though I did change from having fringe and side bangs free to just fringe.
Ive never worn crin or foam yet.

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:35 pm

i dont like falls, have never worn them and dont think they look good so ive always avoided them, i have made and worn roving a few times wich i thought was ok,
but defo preferred synth brighter colours the better, i always dyed my hair to match some colours of the dreads, as i always think it looks odd when people have their fringe a completely different colour to any of the dreads jmpo, not that i ever tried to make my dreads look natural i totally loved the whole fake look.
i liked fat ones and skinny ones and alwways de's as i dont like the way se's look.
ive also worn many a things in my hair like wire, ribbons lace, wool, rexlcae, crin anything really and liked it too.

but now i have real dreads and definitly prefer these over anything, so far i havent added anything to them like synth dreads just a few wraps, i maybe tempted in the future but tbh i love them how they are right now
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:37 pm

I still have my wool falls, granted I may never, ever wear them again, but I loves them :D
Apologies for the myspazz pose, but it is a few years old.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:37 pm

ive always worn twisted synth

i used to have black hair, so i would wear any colour at all and dye my fringe to match whatever my colour theme was at the time.
i was blue for a little while, so i always wore blue or black based dreads
then i went back to red, so now my dreads MUST be mostly red, if not transitionals from red to another colour

i started off with pretty wool yarn and colinette, and i still ADORE the look of a full, poofy colinette head! ive not worn it myself for a very long time, mostly due to work commitments
ive worn roving once, from the fabulous DSM, and like colinette it was so very comfy and warm! totally loved it :D

at the moment, im sticking to boring, long HH extensions because i dont think work would be too hot on the idea of dreads. I always wear installs as well, at the moment my hair is too short to make decent buns for falls and as i have a deathhawk im kinda limited as to the amount of hair i have to make buns until it grows to like... bum length

seriously considering getting myself some colinette again now.... hmm

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:02 pm

[Phexxie] wrote:
seriously considering getting myself some colinette again now.... hmm

I want to do the same!!! :lol:

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:26 am

isit me.... or do they have new colourways o_0
shouldnt have looked... this could be dangerous as far as my bank account is concerned!

*EDIT - i NEED some Vatican Pie! the wool... not the food :lol

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Yeah, they've brought new ones out. Yummers!!!

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:07 pm

I first wore colinette falls, as that was the easiest way of getting dreads quickly.. then I plucked up the courage to make my own synth dreads and made & wore my own synth SEs for a good few years before finally experimenting with roving, and colinette braided and then felted in the washing machine.. the dreads I've made this way are so much lighter, thinner and easier to wear than synth, and I love the mottled colour effects you can achieve this way.. so this is pretty much all I wear these days. Comfier, softer, easier to make and more 'real' looking than shiny synth.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:55 pm

I started off with colinette just braided in! and wooly falls which looked atrocious looking back. I then had Elysees and then some dread falls made. I've done so many looks now, massive undercut and foam and rexlace braided in, massive cyberlox falls, sometimes on top of dreads! :lol: big chunky dreads, huge hair in all sorts of colours...shame I lost all the pics from my old hard drive.

I still don't think I've found the perfect dreads for me. I don't wear them as often now. I loved the last naturals I wore, so I think more natural styles are more 'me' now. I have a hard time matching my blonde too. I'd love a good colour matched blonde, and maybe micro/skinny mid length dreads as I like to style them and my past dreads have mainly been too big. I'm not really into huge hair anymore either, so a set thats quite natural looking and sits well could rekindle my love affair with dreads. ;)

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”