Fixing old poorly dreads

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
patricia*star

Fixing old poorly dreads

Post by patricia*star » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Ive found some lovely long blonde dreads at the back of my cuboard that i want for my next install but they are in need of some serious TLC.
They have killer fuzzies and are unravelling badly. Ive tried the boiling method but its not working very well and they still have the same problems but just look thinner.

Any advice would be great :D I have just ought a crochet hook, would this help them in any way?/
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

starlotus

Re: Fixing old poorly dreads

Post by starlotus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:01 pm

I usually run mine through a hot wash, then untwist, re-backcomb loose spots, and re-seal with the steamer. It makes them super-soft and lovely :)

The dreads I've done this to have come out a smidge thinner though, but I make mine on the chunky side anyway so it never mattered.

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:05 pm

I was thinking of trying that but i have no steamer :oops: would that also :roll: get rid of the fuzzies?
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:35 pm

You don't need a steamer. You can do it with the kettle, an iron & damp cloth, straighteners & damp cloth, or a pan of water boiling on the stove with a lid on allowing out teenie bits of steam.

I've sent mine to Wales before for Kellye to resteam for me cos I didn't have the time to do it myself!! :lol:
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:50 pm

Best thing to do it re backcomb the bad bits and resteam :) I've just used a kettle before! I've also snipped off the bad fuzzies but its not so good for the structure of the dread, they were still wearable though :)

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:57 pm

I do all the things mentioned above and then run the flat iron over them to make them nice and smooth.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks girls, im gonna get the kettle sorted :D

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”