Well.. Here I go...

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Julzabel

Well.. Here I go...

Post by Julzabel » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:58 am

I'm getting ready to start my first set of dreads. I found some of the hair I needed locally but ended up ordring my birght colors from Doctoredlocks.com. Man were they fast! So I now have Light blonde, Black, Navy blue, Bright Blue and Red 100% Kanekalon jumbo braid sitting here calling out to me. I went out and looked at steamers and purchased a conair fabric steamer for $25 at Walmart but after reading the boad posts on steamers I took it back. I was Shopping at Odd Lots and found that they had Commercial grade Rowenta Garment steamers for $50. You better believe I snapped up one of those babys and QUICK! They sell for $129 just on ebay. I've seen them at JCPenny for up to $200. I have my latch hook and combs and rubber bands and clips and metal combs...So now I'm all set accept for my Rig which I am thinking about using one of my heavy end tables to set up on. If I don't use it I may set something up that hooks to the wall by my sewing area. I'm excited to get started!!! Wish me luck! I will post my first dreads as soon as I get some nice ones done! :i9:

Librarynerd

Re: Well.. Here I go...

Post by Librarynerd » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:24 am

You're going to have a blast! I toughed it out sealing with a flat iron for a couple months before I got a steamer. Should have invested in the steamer right from the start. I takes making a ton of dreads to learn how much pressure to use backcombing and how to get a good twist and taper.
Making your own dream dreads is worth all the work :i2:

Have you watched Rivetlickers video tutorials on dread making?
They are excellent.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Julzabel

Post by Julzabel » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:23 am

I think I will enjoy making them and wearing them a lot. I'm acctually setting up my rig right now. Yippeee! Giggles!

I knew that trying to do the sealing with a flat iron wasnt going to be an option for me. I've been wanting a garment steamer anyway because I do a large about of sewing and costuming so I figure now was the time to buy one and I couldn't beat the price either.

Yes I am a fan or Rivot licker and have watched all her tuts as well as others. She Rawks!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:04 am

:i10: :i10: :i10:

hellcity

Post by hellcity » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:12 am

Hurrah! Good luck! I'm working on my first set right now actually ;)
I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in. - Homer Simpson

blog + violet.crime design facebook + personal facebook

Julzabel

Post by Julzabel » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Good luck to you too! I have a few done and they arent bad I don't think. I made 4 regular length and 4 extra long all in blonde. I also made one candy cane with blue and blonde and will be starting on those again today. I've got a bit of helixing on a couple but I think I need to backcome the sides a tad more. Ive tried a couple different things for the loops and found I dont like how they look if I plait or braid them at the top so I just let them form their own loop. I tend to get much less of a helix when I dont braid them. Well there's the update. I will doe some more and post pics sooon!

Julzabel

Post by Julzabel » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:03 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote::i10: :i10: :i10:

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and for the big help you have been in getting me started! :i2:

Julzabel

Post by Julzabel » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:17 pm

Oh I also learned that not all Kanekalon is the same to work with. My first package of Blond was much harder to work with even though they were the same company and same color. One is much more shiney and easier to back comb. Weird!

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”