Has dreading made you a hermit?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
starlotus

Has dreading made you a hermit?

Post by starlotus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:14 am

Ok....so maybe I'm a bit weird/anti-social here, but ever since I started really dreading seriously (as in, selling) I've become a total hermit. I pretty much spend every weekend sitting in my house dreading. Same with any weekdays off from work too. Sure, sometimes I ditch on social invites or bar-hopping nights because I really am stressed about getting an order out on time or something, but a lot of the time I stay in because I'd honestly rather just wear comfy PJ pants, watch movies/tv shows I've seen a billion times before (side note: netflix currently has every season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The X-files available for watch instantly - I'm in nerd-tv heaven while I dread lately!), have a drink or two and dread away and not have anyone bother me. I currently live with my ex, but I'm moving out soon and I cannot wait to live alone so I have just my furry friends (2 kitties and getting a dog when I move) and my dreadies and I can just do what I want most of the time. I still like seeing my friends, but I like being social as a once-in-a-while kind of thing, while most people I know have this almost pathological need to be "out and about" every single Saturday night.

Anyone else like this? Or am I just some creepy, dread-making cat lady in the making here?

rivetlicker_

Re: Has dreading made you a hermit?

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:16 am

I think you enjoy it too much :P

I still go out most weekends. Usually get stressed before an event and do a last minute hair change.

Nenedhel

Post by Nenedhel » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:24 pm

I used to just do dreading on weekday evenings after seeing the horses and weekend day time before and after seeing them with clubbing every saturday night and friday but now me and my other half just don't want to go out as much. Actually tend to find that I enjoy making stuff, particularly dreads a lot more and do end up doing that so rather than seeing my horses, modelling and college I just spend time making things and spending time with the OH. The way we see it is we don't go out so much so that when we do its a bit more special... plus he loves getting the random outfits I make for him for the next time we go anywhere.

So I think it has kinda made me a hermit haha your not the only one
Midnight Orchid - custom dreads and hairpieces, corsets, accessories and clothing
Folksy
Etsy
Custom corsets for only material costs? Its true, just message me for details/ order... only on HEF, you know you want one

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:17 am

ummm yes. ^_^
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:11 am

me yeah I'm a total hermit. But mostly because I live in a crappy town with no friends and nothing to do. My husband plays WOW and I have my dreads. LOL

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:44 am

*raises hand*

I too am a creepy, dread-making cat lady. Even though I make tons of dreads for work, when I'm done I always want to do more just for fun.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:53 am

hehe. im a part time hermit I think.. Im easily distracted and lose interest quickly so I only make a few dreads at a time then go do something else. When making dreads im shut in my room by myself as the steamers quite noisy,lol.
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:55 am

i have always been a hermit. dreading just gives me something to occupy my time.
*Manda*

fangbanger

Post by fangbanger » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:18 am

CancerHybrid wrote:i have always been a hermit. dreading just gives me something to occupy my time.
I'm TOTALLY with CancerHybrid on this.

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:09 am

fangbanger wrote:
CancerHybrid wrote:i have always been a hermit. dreading just gives me something to occupy my time.
I'm TOTALLY with CancerHybrid on this.
*high five* :D :lol:
*Manda*

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:18 pm

CREEPY DREAD-MAKING CAT LADIES UNITE! Haha, you guys are awesome; now I don't feel so weird.

The scary part is, I still have to interact with the outside world for 40 hours a week because of my "real" job. Once I get my yoga teaching cert., I'm hoping to be able to teach part-time, register my business, and just do that with the rest of my time. That's going to be some serious hermitage right there if I only have to teach a few yoga classes a week and the rest of the time I can hold up in my apartment until my hearts content, dreading until my fingers bleed and sewing cute clothes for myself :) Hey, at least we all found something we're good at - most people in this world don't get to do anything really creative. I consider myself and all you other dread-ladies on here artists, so remember: artists throughout history have been eccentric dreamers with beautiful souls that Joe Average Guy doesn't necessarily like or understand, and we are no different. We're expressing ourselves and creating something beautiful (do you know how rare it is in our 9-5, middle-management, corporate society for anyone to actually CREATE anything???) with our lives; remember that the next time someone tells you you're weird or some kind of social loser for not being a social butterfly all the time.

With that said, I do need to make more time for friends. I wish some of you ladies lived nearby (insted of most of you being across an ocean, haha!) so I'd have like-minded souls to surround myself with. Pixychick - I think part of my hermitage is similar to yours. I used to live in an urban area with lots of stuff to do, tons of art, music, and cultural things right outside my door (not to mention some killer food!) and now I live in Jersey. Jersey. I have basically no friends and there's nothing to do and even going outside my door just faces me with a bunch of jerks at bars in high school "lets pick up chicks!" mentality or a bunch of irritating shore tourists or snooty elitists (this is a rich area; not sure how I ended up here, lol) who look down on me because I drive a 10 year old car and buy my clothes at Target and TJ Maxx. It's like there's no point in going anywhere anyway.

I'm hoping that I'll be more social when I live in the city. My sister-in-law lives there and she is an avid knitter and she's already hounding me to just move already so we can have marathon wine-drinking, knitting/dread-making sessions together. Heh, maybe all a hermit needs is another hermit to hang with :)

Sorry for little rant!

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Cancer Hybrid - where in Philadelphia are you? I'm originally from South (with a brief stint in Bala Cynwyd that I HATED) and I'll be moving back soon if I can find a freaking job out there. I'll probably be in either South or Brewerytown....or pretty much anywhere I can afford and not get mugged every day. Would be cool to know another dready-person out there.

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:58 pm

starlotus, you're adorable. This thread has made me feel marginally more justified as well!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 pm

starlotus wrote:Cancer Hybrid - where in Philadelphia are you? I'm originally from South (with a brief stint in Bala Cynwyd that I HATED) and I'll be moving back soon if I can find a freaking job out there. I'll probably be in either South or Brewerytown....or pretty much anywhere I can afford and not get mugged every day. Would be cool to know another dready-person out there.
pm'ed
*Manda*

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Madii - your words are very wise. I think most human beings have massive issues with co-dependence in all relationships - from family to friends to romantic partners. I believe that you need to be ok with being who you are by yourself before you can form healthy relationships (whatever form they take) with others. I think a lot of people fear being alone because then there's no distraction from who you really are....and a really sad number of people genuinely don't like themselves and so seek out continuous validation from others.

Probably the same reason why everyone around me treats me like the fact that I'm newly single (my choice), NOT looking, and nearly 30 should bother me....and it doesn't. Glad to know there's others like me; enough people tell you you're anti-social or in need of professional help because of preference for solitude and it's hard to not start believing it.

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:04 pm

I too would have to agree I am more of a hermit than I used to be... a combination of growing up and having resposibilities, less money, enjoying my own home and sofa and the dread making means I dont go out as much as I used to to pointless events, but I do make sure I make time for my friends and family and try to get a good balance of working and enjoying life... but sometimes that balance tips one way or the other... :D
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

fangbanger

Post by fangbanger » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:39 am

Madii wrote:Well, I'm only just 18 and I reached these conclusions a while ago. I am, however, actively anti-social a lot of the time and don't need others to tell me this. Some of the behaviours I see in others' social interactions I find dispiriting or outright pointless. In the words of a Mr. Alex Turner, "who'd want to be men of the people when there's people like you?" I have a small number of people who can achieve a situation of mutual tolerance with me and I'm content with my lot. I don't need oodles and oodles of friends, and frankly having them would distract me from all the time I spend doing other things. ;)
Couldn't have said it better myself!!!! :D

I've never been into going out in big groups, clubbing or partying.
What makes me happy is going round someone house; having someone come to mine and watching movies, talking.

But what makes me most happy is just being in, amusing myself. :lol:
Last edited by fangbanger on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:47 am

I'm quite happy in my own company as well and don't really like going out anymore...a few times recently I've gone to go clubbing and I have more fun getting ready and doing my makeup - as soon as I get there I want to come home :lol:

@Madii - I used to treat myself every week and just go to my local pub with a book, buy myself a nice lunch and lounge in a sofa eating and reading for a couple of hours - it was total bliss! Plus I'm only really good at shopping on my own - or with my Mum but we don't' spend much time together so it's nice to do that
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:58 pm

I like being a hermit....I hate people & prefer my own space. Probably why I dress & look the way I do, I get given a wide berth! :lol: I don't always make dreads, but don't like loud noisy nightclubs with sweaty smelly drunks or any other type of social gathering just makes me uncomfortable.
Madii wrote:I have a small number of people who can achieve a situation of mutual tolerance with me and I'm content with my lot.
definitely this ^
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Squidgy wrote:I too would have to agree I am more of a hermit than I used to be... a combination of growing up and having resposibilities, less money, enjoying my own home and sofa and the dread making means I dont go out as much as I used to to pointless events, but I do make sure I make time for my friends and family and try to get a good balance of working and enjoying life... but sometimes that balance tips one way or the other... :D

Definitely agreed. I think as you get older and you have less and less free time and spare cash, you get pickier about how you spend it and who you spend it with.

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:49 pm

Since I first started making synthetic dreads, I've spent much more time at home. Actually, I probably wouldn't have met my husband if my friend didn't drag me out of the house. :) I've gotten a bit better now, since I have another job that takes up a lot of time, but I enjoy being at home making dreads and relaxing with my husband.

candytoxin13

Post by candytoxin13 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:34 pm

Hah I definitely have been spending a lot more time at home making dreads. Even when I'm in school I sit there and write down what color combinations would look cute together. And then I go home and I'll spend the entire weekend from like 7 in the morning making dreads until they're finished. Definitely becoming a hermit.
Cause we all end up in a tiny pine box, a mighty small drop in a mighty dark plot and the mighty fine print hastens the trip to our epilogue
~~~
http://www.vampirefreaks.com/lovegun1
http://www.myspace.com/bloodfaggot6
http://www.graveravergorejunkie.deviantart.com

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Thu May 13, 2010 2:41 am

candytoxin13 wrote:Hah I definitely have been spending a lot more time at home making dreads. Even when I'm in school I sit there and write down what color combinations would look cute together. And then I go home and I'll spend the entire weekend from like 7 in the morning making dreads until they're finished. Definitely becoming a hermit.
I have PAGES of color combos!! Before I make a hair order, I write everything down and change it a million times before I'm finally satisfied.

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Thu May 13, 2010 3:49 pm

^^^ I need to start carrying around a mini notebook or something. I often get inspirations for things and then forget them later.

cyberloxshop

Post by cyberloxshop » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:36 pm

Yes.

In an answer.

But what's wrong with being a hermit I say!

:D

Let's be hermits together.
http://www.Cyberloxshop.co.uk - Hair supplies & Cyberlox galore!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cyberloxshop - come say hi!
We love fake hair, bright colours and everything cyber! :D Oh and, lots of creating!

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”