how-to dye synthetic wigs!

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
marshy

how-to dye synthetic wigs!

Post by marshy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:38 pm

I'm not sure if this is already on the site somewhere, I couldn't find it though...

I'm going to try this either today or tomorrow, because for some reason finding a bright orange wig for my Leeloo Halloween costume has been imposssibblllleeee.

Pretty cool considereing sharpies come in EVERY color
http://blog.sharpie.com/2009/02/lets-get-wiggy-with-it/

On the thread was Jaina Solo who offered a great how-to:

"I just dyed a wig yesterday with sharpies! I think there are two ways you can do it:

1) Take a sharpie, grab some hair, and start coloring. This is a very long and tedious process and takes a lot of sharpies depending on how long the wig is, but the results look very nice. Once you are done sharpieing the whole wig, rinse it in cold water until the water is clear, then let the wig dry completely. If you see any spots that you missed, go back and sharpie it and then rinse the wig again.

2) Harvest the sharpie ink well and mix it with alcohol so you can dunk or spray the wig with it. This can be a messy process, and the alcohol can cause the ink to streak if you’re not careful, but it’s much faster than having to hand-color an entire wig, especially if it’s a long one. This is the process I used, and what I did was I cracked open a sharpie, took out the ink well and placed it into a jar of alcohol. At first, I just shook the bottle of alchohol every once in a while to get the ink out of the well and into the alchohol, but I noticed that this was taking a long time and wasn’t getting all the ink out, so instead I grabbed the ink well and squeezed out as much ink as I could into the alcohol. It was messy but it worked great. Since I was dying a long wig very dark, I used an entire liter of 70% alcohol mixed with 10 sharpies. I then dunked the wig into the mixture (by this time I was using a bowl), and I let the wig dry. However, when letting the wig dry, do NOT hang it on a wig head or by its scalp–the alcohol dripping off with strip the ink off, leaving a very irregular dye job. Lay the wig on a drop cloth on the ground somewhere flat, so that the alcohol can’t drip off the wig and take ink with it!"

a few more techniques
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82947

i hope this works...that would be a lot of time spent on a messy process if it ends up bleeding all over me in the end... anyone tried this before? i might add a few dreads to the wig after too, depending on time..

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”