Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
LittlePinkFaery

Making a dread band/ front piece

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 pm

Tutorial for making a dread band/ frontpiece

This is a great way to hide your own hair when you are wearing falls instead of using a scarf or a headband to hide your hair. This means you can go any colour you want without worrying about a clash! This is more secure than using combs for a front piece.

No tutorial pics I am afraid- just finished product!

1) get a very wide fabric headband (or the leg of opaque tights- Personally I feel tights work better for this).

2) If using wool (like colinette) measure and cut long strands that measure from about 2 inches behind one ear to two inches behind the other. Mark the band at these points with a pin

The advice is the same for synth dreads or roving- they need to measure the same length.

3) get the mid pint of your ‘dread’ and sew it to the middle of the band, continue placing one ‘dread’ behind the other- stretch the band widthways as you go to make sure it doesn’t bunch up.

4) When you have covered it front to back, you need to start stitching down the ‘dreads’ along the band. Pull the band as you go a little so it remains at the right tension (as if it were on your head).

5) You can use big stitches underneath, but keep your stitches small on top, pulling your thread up though the ‘dread’ and back through again to anchor the ‘dread’ on. When all stitched down go over the middle sections a few times to create a parting.

6) Stitch the back of your band together if you used tights

7) I like to add some loose ‘dreads’ at the front

8) Alternatively, you can sew every other dread only a few inches down from the centre, these will then fall loose ( whilst others help cover the band).

two fully sewed down dread bands, one with handmade wool twists and one with colinette

A dreadband that is partially sewed down, I added in extra loose strands at the back (sewed to centre only) for even better coverage.

I only tend to work with wool, but I am sure this would work with synth dreads too

xx

LittlePinkFaery

Re: Making a dread band/ front piece

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:37 pm

saved...more coming!

TO EXTEND THIS TO A FULL WIG/PIECE

1) now sew your 'dreads' to the back of the band, folding them as a DE and sewing the centre of the DE to the back of the band

2)) Keep going until you have filled the area from behind ear to ear

3) repeat, bringing in the stitching area to two inches before the ear- squeeze 'dreads; inbetween and on top of the existing 'dreads'

4) This is still not enough coverage, the sides are finished but the top will need a lot of work to not fall apart at th back when you put it on
- stitch ( if it is dreads or roving) to existing dreads, focusing on the mid back section)
- knot on if you are using wool/ colinette
-concentrate on knotting/ sewing on 'dreads' where middle back of your head is, so you are sewing/ knotting part way down another 'dread'
- keep adding in until you are happy with the coverage!

I advise not to make it too long as it will slip off, but a few long ones sewn in to give the impression of length will work well. Shoulder length is a good, stable length to create.

Sorry no pics, I have no plans to make one at present! If I do I will add in pics of the whole process :)

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:41 pm

just seen this,yey thanks!!!!xx
I bent my wookie!!

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:39 pm

glad it is useful :)

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:10 pm

I added some images of the first few steps:
http://www.doctoredlocks.com/store/tut_dreadband.html

Hope that helps some.

Cheers!
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:56 pm

I just noticed you did this- thank you so much you are an angel!

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:55 am

This awesome!
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”