How to: dread wig out of a party wig **VERY photo heavy**

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
IKickShins

How to: dread wig out of a party wig **VERY photo heavy**

Post by IKickShins » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:18 pm

Originally posted on the old HH board by Idiotic. Rescued from Google cache.

this is a wig i completed over three days, so y'all get treated to seeing how much my nail polish chipped during that time...

you will need:

-1 synthetic fibre wig - i usually get mine from eBay but costume or joke shops have them, too. if you pay a little more you'l get more hair on the wig base, which is a good thing. i pay anything from £7 up to £30 depending on what i need. you can't guarantee that the fibre will seal well on all synthetic wigs, but i've never had too much of a problem
- 2-4 bags of KK jumbobraid for dreading
- mix of foam/plastics if desired
- needle and thread or cable ties
- scissors

pick your colours and decide what's going to go with the base colour of the wig. if you just want a wig in a solid colour, only use KK that matches the base wig.

so, here is your wig. isn't it just lovely:

i usually work on a table top with everything i need to hand. lay the wig flat on the table and start by taking a section of hair from the front at the top. an inch or so is usually fine, more if you want thicker dreads etc:

backcomb the section. it's easier than making single dreads as the section is already attached to something so there's no foot holding or hangers involved!

finished and backcombed section:

continue on around the wig until you've dreaded all you need to. you can either dread all the wig (i will usually leave the fringe loose) or only dread sections, leaving some loose hair inbetween. i prefer having bits of loose hair as it adds to the completed wig's texture.

the wig now looks like this:

i usually take a minute now to trim the wig into the sort of shape i'm after. so, if i'm going for an a-line wig (as i am here) i'll chop it into a rough a-line to give me a shape to work towards. i LOVE how the wig looks at this stage and always kinda want to keep it that way!

now we're going to add onto the wig. lightly backcomb some KK jumbo. take a backcombed section, poke a hole in the very base of the section with your finger and thread through the backcombed hair:

fold the new hair back over onto itself so it forms its own little backcombed section:

grab both it and the original section on the wig and twist together. keep twisting until you've got the shape of the dread you want:

i then loosely tie the dread into a knot to keep it out of the way til i've done the whole head:

carry on until you've added hair to all of the sections you wish to. you don't have to add hair to all sections but it helps provide coverage for the wig base if you make your dreads fairly chunky this way. here's all the bits knotted up:

you're ready to steam/handroll/whatever your dreads. unknot one dread and make sure you get any flyaway bits for that section tucked back into the dread. twist and steam, continue for all sections. here's halfway through:

all steamed! this will do fine, you can leave it here if you like as you should have pretty good coverage and a good-looking dread wig:

however, i like to make some SEDs to attach to the wig to add some more of the accent colours. this also helps provide coverage at the back of the wig, where the hair is always thinner. you can use DEDs too, i used to but find that SEDs work better for me. DEDs work best if you're making a solid colour wig. some of the ones i used on this wig:

the brilliant thing about wig bases is that they're made of mesh, that you can sew/attach/knot all kinds of stuff into:

*tuts over state of nails*

attaching dreads - i used to sew my dreads onto the wig base. you can use rubber bands by rubber-banding new dreads onto either the loose hair or existing dreads. rubber bands are faster than sewing, but i don't believe they look as neat, lie as well or last as long. sewing is nice and secure but takes longer. but now i'm a TOTAL convert to cable ties. i buy them in discount stores, they are super fast and probably the most secure method of attaching stuff to a wig base.

so, thread a cable tie through the wig base mesh:

thread the SED onto the cable tie, loop up the cable tie:

pull cable tie tight and snip off the end:

done! carry on with all your dreads. i hold up the wig inbetween attaching dreads to make sure i'm getting the colours fairly even or covering up any thinner parts of the overall wig. it usually involves lots of squinting and will probably give me wrinkles.

you can also poke plastics/ribbons etc through the mesh and knot them off:

ta-daa! you now have a wig with a good thick coverage of dreads plus a few accents for interest. tidy up the fringe and loose hair, snip off a few scraggly ends and you should be done:

but i like to add a few foam and plastic bits'n'bobs to the back of a-lines just to emphasise the shape.

get a few strips of foam and short lengths of plastic/rexlace/tubing together:

i then attach these in bundles to the back of the wig in exactly the same method that i use for dreads using cable ties, except i don't snip off the end of the cable tie itself, as it provides a lovely spikey bit!

so this is my finished piece:

side:

back showing foam etc better:

hope you all give it a go and post pics in the wig forum
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

plum poison

Re: How to: dread wig out of a party wig **VERY photo heavy**

Post by plum poison » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:28 pm

that is a fantastic tutorial, i will be using that technique when i make my leopard print set for a photoshoot (if it turns out ok!?)

candycovered

Post by candycovered » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:07 am

that is amazing ! <3
I wish that time would stand still,
if this was part of a film
we would watch the clip all day,
like a portrait of you and I...

Marshmallowmassacre

Post by Marshmallowmassacre » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:25 pm

So glad that this tutorial is up again, I missed it!

[Tank]

Post by [Tank] » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:18 pm

This is a tutorial of epic win, glad it's back ^^
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

runningwithlola

Post by runningwithlola » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:07 am

This is a really nice tutorial, thanks.

I'm about to start my first dreadwig (ok, I'm thinking about starting it lol) and I want to ask you two questions.

1. why do you seal the dreads after they're all attached to the wig? Why don't you seal each one as you go? Is it easier that way for some reason?

2. What is that white that you used? My wig's color is about that.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:17 am

You can seal them before you put them on the wig as well. This tutorial isn't the only way to make a dread wig; its just how Idiotic made the one in the pictures :)

I'm not sure which shade of white she used.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!

runningwithlola

Post by runningwithlola » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:52 am

Oh, I missed the part that said it was by Idiotic. Sorry!

Thanks. I just figured there must be some advantage to sealing them all at the end, but I have no experience making dreadwigs so I don't have a clue what it might be. Anybody know?

AntaresJB

Post by AntaresJB » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:05 am

I don't think there's any particular advantage to sealing at the end. I make dread wigs in a similar manner but I keep my wig on the wig head while I do it, and I use a latch hook to add extra hair by looping it through the wig base itself, not through the backcombed wig hair. I work in rows from the back bottom to the top, just like you would if installing dreads on your own head, and I'll usually backcomb one or two rows, then seal, then backcomb some more.... I find if I do more than one or two rows of dreads before sealing, the backcombed hair tends to get in the way and the dreads stick to eachother, then I have a hell of a time untangling them to seal them.

There really is no one specific way to make a dread wig, tutorials are a guide but it takes some experimenting to determine what works best for you. I made a few different wigs before settling on my current process. Good luck! :)
-- Antares J. Barr --
Like chicks with acoustic guitars? Check out my music on Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/antaresjb

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:38 am

I don't seal mine all at the end, but I do seal them in batches. I'll do a few rows of backcombing, then seal, then repeat until its done. The advantage is that if you're doing them one at a time, you have to keep heating up whatever you're using to seal them with (or leave your steamer on while you backcomb), but if you backcomb them at once and seal them at once, the sealing goes a bit quicker.

I use the same logic for braids or twists and heating up the braid sealer. I usually do a bunch of braids at once and keep them ends together with bobby pins, then I seal them all at once so I don't have to leave the braid sealer on.

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:12 pm

This is fantastic and just what I was looking for! Off to Asda to buy my cheap wig I go! lol ^_^
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

V1RU5-KID

Post by V1RU5-KID » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:13 pm

omg thanks for this (:
might try it out

V1RU5-KID

Post by V1RU5-KID » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:52 am

oh, what method of sealing did you use?

Somber

Post by Somber » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 am

This is great! I LOVE it!!!
:i2:

Lady J

Post by Lady J » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:31 am

Great Job there! Thanks for sharing it. :)
Fixing problems with your hair, alopecia and others.

elliss_seven

Post by elliss_seven » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:57 pm

runningwithlola wrote:Thanks. I just figured there must be some advantage to sealing them all at the end, but I have no experience making dreadwigs so I don't have a clue what it might be. Anybody know?
It sounds easier to do it all at once but if you're dealing with at least 100 dreads or more, I find it's much better to just do it in parts. A big of a project as a dread wig doesn't seem so rough that way.

I like to backcomb a couple dozen dreads at the time & just steam them once to move onto backcombing some more. So I don't have to deal with tons of messy bc-ed dreads getting all tangled with each other.
After I've gotten a good portion of dreads backcombed & steamed once, I go through & steam them again (to seal the ends better most of all).

I do what AntaresJB does & loop hair through the netted base [with hemostats].
Though I did come across this WONDERFUL/helpful tutorial before I began getting into wigs, I don't agree with using cable ties .. unless your dreads are puffy enough to totally cover them up.
Individually sewing dreads is incredibly tedious but I hated seeing the plastic ties within the wig. Then again this might not bother everyone.
The one and only .. Facebook.com/ls.seven

Jazmin

Post by Jazmin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:30 pm

wow thats cool :)

Somber

Post by Somber » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:39 pm

I recently did a wig project, and for my next one I'm hoping for a smaller look, not so many dreads.

I know in this tutorial there's a lot of other accents, like foam and so on...
But how many dreads would anyone recommend to get full coverage without it being too full?
I'm terrible at figuring these things out, and generally like to learn from experience. But I don't want to waste a lot of money on an experiement I might not like in the end.

Help? :i10:
Lolilocks, for all your custom synthetic dread needs!
http://www.vampirefreaks.com/Lolilocks

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:55 am

Depends on how thick the dreads are, whether you're mixing in any other materials, and what you consider to be 'too full.' The best way to do it is just keep adding dreads until you like how it looks. Make sure to try the wig on your head and look in the mirror rather than relying on the wig head, as sometimes a wig can look amazing on the stand and end up sitting weird on an actual human head.

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:06 pm

I wish I had some spare time to create a dread wig for myself in tiem for Halloween... I have been banned from wearing dreads at the moment and making a wig would be perfect right now...

I will definately have this tut open when I do get round to making a wig!!! :i2:
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:24 am

this is a great tut!! thanks so much!!

MadamRooRoo

Post by MadamRooRoo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:27 pm

cool tut, i think i will have to have a go on a wig i brought for halloween which i never used in the end (fingers crossed it works lol)
I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less - Eddie Izzard

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:15 pm

Anyone else dig the way it looked all knotted up? Lol. I couldnt pull it off but I think it looked pretty cool just like that.

Flower In Furs

Post by Flower In Furs » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:04 am

This was a great tutorial!
I've never made a wig before at all, I mostly make cyberlocks and dreadfalls (ima noob :i6: )so i am really excited to start a dread wig!!
Thanks so much it was very informative!
unicorn unity

Angelfire

Post by Angelfire » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:55 pm

Sweet, I just got a black and pink wig on eBay, I will put my pics up on show offs when it's finished :)

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”