Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
Squidgy

Tie Dyed roving dread tutorial

Post by Squidgy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:45 pm

What you will need:

White wool either pre rolled or as it comes (I prefer pre-rolled)
White vinegar
Two bowls, one that can be micro waved
Water and a running water supply
Cling film
Squeezey bottles x however many colours you require
Acid dye x however many colours you require
Gloves
Measuring tape
A teaspoon (do not use in the kitchen again afterwards)
Kettle

Lets start!!

To begin with, make sure you have everything to hand, boil the kettle, place the dreads/wool in to the non microwavable bowl, poor the boiled water over them ensuring all the dreads are fully submerged ( I have done this with a few dreads to show you how)

Next, take your acid dye colours

and your squeezy bottles, add the water to about ¾ of the top, then add in your acid dye colours to each separate bottle, the more dye you put in, the more vibrant the shade will come out, then add your white vinegar, gently shake and put to one side

If you know the length of your dreads/wool then measure the cling film to be about 10cm extra from this length, gently place the cling film down on a flat, dry non dyeable surface – for me my kitchen floor was the only space available, but due to the tiles it was perfect.
Wring out about 10 or so dreads so that they are moist but not dripping, gently place them on to the cling film ensuring there is plenty of cling film around all four edges

NOW THE FUN BEGINS!!!

Take one of your colours, and randomly splash, squeeze, twizzle or whack the colour on

Continue doing this with all the colours you desire

You can completely cover the wool with dye, or leave areas of white if you wish.
Once you have done one side, carefully turn the wool over, ensuring the other side is coloured as well.

Once you are satisfied with the colour you have added to the wool/dreads gently pull the middle of the cling film inwards and allow it to stick together, then roll the whole thing up like a snail, ensuring that the cling film separates each layer or rolled wool, place in to the microwavable bowl

Heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, leave to stand for a minute, then gently and carefully unravel in a sink etc, wash the wool/dreads until all the colour runs out.

Repeat this whole process until all the wool/dreads are dyed.

Once dried, my dreads looked like this

But depending on what colours and shades you use, you may get a completely different effect, especially if using lots of different colours such as blues, reds, yellows, greens etc, I would love to see how other peoples attempts come out, no two dreads ever come out the same so this is a truly unique way of dying dreads.

What did I learn along the way?

Being properly prepared is the key to this working, ensuring you have all your equipment means there is little chance of getting dye everywhere.
I was a silly Squidge and didn’t have any gloves but decided to go ahead anyway as I was too excited.. this is halfway through…

It took about a week to get the dye off of my nails, hand about 2 days… don’t be fooled, gloves are on of the most essential parts to this..
Halfway through colouring the dreads I decided to add vinegar to the bowl of water and dreads, this gave a slightly different effect to the dreads once they had been dyed, those dreads were more blended and subtle. This look was nice, but I preferred the more blocky, chunky colour look, so decided to re-dye a few of the dreads to make them more vibrant. If you find some of them are not bright enough, you can repeat the process again.

Right… I think that that is everything, as always any questions, comments and suggestions are more than welcome, as are pictures if you decide to have a go for yourself.. I thought this was loads of fun and am itching to get some time to try with other colours etc…. grrr I have so many ideas!!

Thanks for looking my lovelies!!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

~*Zombie Candycane~*

Re: Tie Dyed roving dread tutorial

Post by ~*Zombie Candycane~* » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:53 am

Uh I want to try this out now! I think a pink and green set ^_^ This tutorial is so easy to follow as well <3
**Zombie <^/._.\^> Kitty**

http://twitter.com/JayJayCuppycake

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:16 am

Great tut I want to play ^^
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:00 am

It really is soooo much fun, I am waiting on some more white wool to come in so I can try some more... so many ideas, so little time to splodge!!! :D
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:37 am

Squidgy wrote: so many ideas, so little time to splodge!!! :D
Your way too funneh XD
Psylita Sukkubus

moosiefeltfelt

Post by moosiefeltfelt » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:43 am

wow squigde great tut cant wai to giv it ago, and cant wait to get the these beauts off you they are amazing!!!!!
roll, roll, roll, the roving make the feltie dreads
hang em up n dry em out
and get a woolie head

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:47 am

Thank you moosey... I think I might have to keep them though, hahahaha, I luuuuurve them so much.... feel free to add pictures of your findings to this thread!! :D

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:56 pm

thanks so much for that awesome tut.
this is a newb question but where can I get wool like that?
I have seen rivetlickers tuts but shes from Aus. I'm in texas. can something like this be purchased at micheals or walmart?
Is it called roving wool? sorry for the question if its been asked before i looked but probably missed it

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:57 am

Hey no problem - veryone is a newb at some point, the material is called roving wool, ideal micron is 21 - there are many tutorials and techniques on here, I know VixenSingsBlack did a wicked thread with all you could want to know about roving, have a look through this section and the teqniques section and I am sure you will find lots of helpful hints etc... and please be sure to post your findings on here!! :D

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:23 pm

Squidgy wrote:Hey no problem - veryone is a newb at some point, the material is called roving wool, ideal micron is 21 - there are many tutorials and techniques on here, I know VixenSingsBlack did a wicked thread with all you could want to know about roving, have a look through this section and the teqniques section and I am sure you will find lots of helpful hints etc... and please be sure to post your findings on here!! :D
under the techniques section i found this awesome thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7457
thanks I can't wait to try wool dreads but I live in Texas, south texas South Padre Island to be exact where its humid and hot year round and I dont think wool dreads would be good to wear.LOL

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:33 pm

I think I will be having another go with these over Christmas to see what other colour combinations we can produce - will post more piccies!!!

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Can't wait to see :D
Psylita Sukkubus

Return to “Roving & Wool”