Wriggly Roving

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
Squidgy

Wriggly Roving

Post by Squidgy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:03 pm

A few people have been asking how to make wriggly or textured roving so I decided to put a little tutorial together, apologies for the quality of the pics, I am rushing to get an order out so i quickly took some pictures to help me illustrate my method.

I would suggest that the wool has been felted about 3-4 times prior to this (although that isn't the case in my picture, but this is just to show the method)

Place the wet, pre-felted dread on to your towl and hold one side firmly with one hand.

Ensuring that the wool is tight in one hand, start rolling down the opposite side of the dread, you must only roll in one direction, not backwards and forwards... you will start to feel some tension as you are rolling...

Once you get to the other end of the dread you will feel that it has a lot of tension, this is what we are after... Now that you have both ends in both hands, place both ends in to one hand, ensuring that you keep a tight hold of them...

Hold the dread upright so that the twists can fall evenly.

Now peg the two ends together. Attach the dreads on too a sturdy surface, i usually use a clothes horse, i find the gravity of the dreads hanging makes for a better wiggle.

The good thing about the dread being held together is that it is easier to work with, what I normally do is leave them on the radiator for a day or so, if they totally dry within that time then I will dampen them and blow dry them with my hair dryer, the heat seems to make them stay in shape better.

Here is a set which I created using this same method.

I hope to add to this thread with a little tutorial on the other methods I use to get some good texture to the roving.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

VixenSingsBlack

Re: Wriggly Roving

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:11 pm

But does it last through installs and everything?

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:27 pm

So far I have found that it lasts through 2 installs, especially on the side that is braided in as it keeps the kink better... so I find it best to switch the ends around.
They have dropped a fair bit, but then the curly kanekalon dreads seem to drop a fair bit.

I only did these about 6 weeks ago so they haven't passed the full scrutiny testings yet but I would be interested to find out if anyone else has had any luck with the sam or a similar method?
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

moosiefeltfelt

Post by moosiefeltfelt » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:42 am

you can always add mr.stiffy (imature laugh) you can get it from most craft shops, it helps roving to keep its shape for longer (hope that makes sense)
roll, roll, roll, the roving make the feltie dreads
hang em up n dry em out
and get a woolie head

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:29 am

you can always add mr.stiffy (imature laugh) you can get it from most craft shops, it helps roving to keep its shape for longer (hope that makes sense)
Please tell me what is mr. stiffy (it isn't possible not to laugh at the name - i am actually chuckling away to myslef at my desk right now!!)

I have never heard opf it before and am now curious!!

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:40 pm

Is Mr Stiffy {+Laughs+} A UK thing?
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

jennyswool

Post by jennyswool » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:44 pm

i tried this technique and it was fantastic! i am absolutely in love! before, the only way i knew how to make dreads "curly" was to put a thin wire.. like pipecleaner in the middle and shape it. it works well for holding up on a night out, but im sure you can imagine the difficulties that go along with it.

anyway, here's what they came out looking like:

thanks for the tutorial!

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Thats ace - thanks for posting pictures up on here - its always nice to see how other peopl get on using your methods!!

Return to “Roving & Wool”