Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
NeonAddiction

Using iDye Jacquard Dye for Roving! :D

Post by NeonAddiction » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:59 am

Here is a quick tutorial for how I used iDye to dye Merino Roving! :D

It was very easy, and the color is VERY VIBRANT! I will update more colors once I do them today! :D

The ingredients I used was:
3 yards (9Feet) of high quality Merino Pure roving.
About 1 cup of distilled vinegar
About 1/2 tablespoon of Chartreuse iDye Natural Fabric

This was my first ever attempt at dying wool, and was more of a test than anything. I followed the basic wool dying instructions that are on this site!

First, I dumped the roving into a bowl with lukewarm water, to soak, then slowly added in warmer water to not shock it too much!

Here are some pictures of the iDye, and the actual packet, the actual powder looks DARK orange powder form, and I was worried its wasn't chartreuse, but it was!

I then got a old pot, filled it about 3/4s full with warm water, dumped in about 1/2 a tablespoon of powder dye, stirred it, then poured in the vinegar. I stirred it up again, and it turned a very emerald color! The packet states that the whole pack is enough for 3-4 pounds of fabric, and the tutorial on here stated that usually 1 table spoon is for 1 pound, but since I don't have a scale, I guesstimated that 1/2 tablespoon wouldn't be TOO much, or TOO little.

I then slowly dumped in the wet/saturated roving!

I used a chopstick to gently poke the roving around, so it wouldn't felt too much! I set my stove to about 5, which is medium! And let it heat up for about 40 minutes stirring gently every so often.

During the last 10 minutes, I got side tracked on the computer, and didn't watch the pot, and it started boiling over. :i6: MAKE SURE TO WATCH THE ROVING. I was scared that the boiling would felt up the roving, but I caught it in time! :? After I pulled it off the stove, I let it cool for about 1 hour until the water was lukewarm. The water was almost clear!

The water wasn't completely cooled, but I was really anxious to see the color, so I slowly poured in warm water, and slowly added in cool water to wash the color out! Here is the final product! :D

The color is AMAZING! It much lighter than I was expecting, but literally almost EXACTLY the same color as the package! I love it! The chartreuse is very nice! IT REMINDS ME OF OSCAR FROM SESAME STREET! You know. The one that was always grumpy cos he lived in a garbage can? :D :D :D Exactly what I wanted! The color is magnificent. And I still have more than 3/4s of the packet of iDye left!

The only thing I would change, is to NOT use as much heat, because it did felt up a little bit. But i think it was a fine outcome for a first attempt! :D
neon love will always be in my heart!

Squidgy

Re: Using iDye Jacquard Dye for Roving! :D

Post by Squidgy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:06 pm

That is brilliant, I am so pleased that they worked for you... it looks like i might be purchasing some or myself as they sell them on amazon.co.uk, sadly for a lot more than you brought yours for... but hey.. woth such good results.. it will be worth it.

Great findings and thanks for sharing them with us!!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

NeonAddiction

Post by NeonAddiction » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:57 pm

Yes!

I want to do the UV yellow, but I'm completely out of vinegar. :( Pretty sad. I need to get some!

The only problem I encountered is that the wool felted a bit while dying.

NeonAddiction

Post by NeonAddiction » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:27 am

Yay! I got more vinager and have dyed the remained of my wool! I can't believe I went through a pound of roving!

I used the same measurements as above for this batch of UV Yellow! It came out nicely! Not super bright, but more of a citrus-y light neon yellow!

Its not SUPER UV reactive, but it does glow! I would say use the RIT color remover, to make the hair White/UV, THEN use the flouro iDYE to make it super UV reactive! I might try this if I end up buying more raw wool!

I also snagged some koolaid at the store to try out, and I did a opposite method that wasn't stove top dying. The stove way sort of made the wool felt up, so I did the same mixture, with 5 packettes of BERRY BLUE, mixed the vinegar, and capped the bucket and placed it outside for about 1 hour. The roving sucked up all the dye, and came out a DELICIOUS cotton candy blue color! Yum! it didn't felt at all hardly, because i hardly added any heat! The colors are delicious!

Here is a picture of the chartreuse, uv yellow, and cotton candy! Yum!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:21 pm

Very awesome, and thanks for posting the tut! You rock :) I always felt my dreads before dying, to avoid the loose wool felting up.

HyprShkk!!

Post by HyprShkk!! » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Ahhhhhh they are such lovely colours!

^^

xox
What would you do if everybody hates you? Well they do.

Return to “Roving & Wool”