Dying Wool

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
IKickShins

Dying Wool

Post by IKickShins » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:43 am

This isn't quite a tutorial, but I thought it was worth rescuing from Google cache. Originally posted to Heavenly Hair by Miss Kitten.

Wool is a very versatile material and can be dyed so many different ways. Alot of people find that they would like to have plain colours as opposed to the commercially dyed mixed colourways that you find from Colinette or other sellers.

To help with this, here is some information and links to help when dying wool. This post is based on the original idea from Tank The Muppet.

-------------------

The cheapest and most effect dye available for wool is an ACID DYE. This type of dye is made especially to dye protein fibers such as pure wool like most of the Colinette wools, Rowen Biggy/Chunky Prints and Roving. It can also dye Silk, Angora, Cashmere and Mohair.

The best Acid Dye available that gives consistant and true colour results is Jacquard Acid Dye. This is available in a multitude of colours and is available from these places:

* Jacquard (US store)
* Fabrics to Dye for (US store)
* Dharma Trading (US store)

* Yorshire Art Store (UK store)

How to Dye using Jacquard Acid Dye

Stove Top Method

I have always found this gives the best results It is also advisable to pre-soak your wool for about 15 minutes before you dye it so you get rid of any soaps or anything that might have been used on before it got into your hands. It also helps to open up the fibres and makes it more accepting to the dye. To do this start with cold water and then gradually introduce warm water until it gets hot. This will make sure that the wool is not shocked and will lessen the possibility of felting in the dye process.

1. Fill a stainless steel or enamel pot with just enough hot or warm water for the fabric to swim freely, turn on the heat.

2. Be sure you weigh your wool because for the best colour results you will need to make sure you add enough dye. Usually a table spoon per pound of DAMP wool will be enough.

3. Add the dye powder to the pot and stir. After a couple of minutes, add about 1/2 a cup of white vinegar. This is what produces the Acidity to help the colouration process as it is a form of mild acid.

4. Add the fabric that has been thoroughly wetted to the dyepot.
Raise the temperature to 185 to 200 degrees, just below boiling. Stir frequently.

5. Maintain temperature and stir frequently for ½ hour.

7. Turn off the heat, but keep the wool in the pot of water until the water has cooled down. This will help the wool to seal in the colour. Keep stiring every so often.

8. When cooled down, empty the wool and any remaining water into a stainless steel sink and rinse the wool thoroughly with luke warm water until it runs clear. Squeeze any excess wool out and hang to dry. If hanging indoors, be sure to place a towel underneath the wool to absorb any drips.

Lightening wool/UV Reactive Whites:

Using bleach on any protein fibre will cause alot of damage, and so it is best not to use conventional bleaches on wool.

Tank the Muppet from www.fragglelox.com found that RIT makes something called "whitener and brightener" that you mix with hot water and detergent... stir for about ten minutes, rinse and voila! UV reactive white wool!

**Note: only works on UNDYED wool**

Also here is a general list of other dyes and their uses.

Fibre Reactive Dye (a.k.a. "Procion MX" )-- for cotton, rayon, silk, linen, lyocell(Tencel), hemp, any other cellulose fiber
more info: Fibre Reactive Dye

Basic Dye -- similar to acid dye, vinegar needs to be added for this dye to take, and it works fine on wool, silk and cotton, but will work best on most acrylics.

The difference is, the color will fade faster and will usually be much more saturated. On the plus side, the dying process does not require hot water, so this dye is much better for hand-painting.
more info: Basic Dye

Direct Dye -- cotton, rayon, and linen (less permanent than fiber reactive dyes)
more info: Direct Dye

Disperse Dye -- synthetic fiber (such as polyester)
more info: Disperse Dye

All-Purpose Dye (such as RIT and Dylon) -- mixture of acid and direct dye... best for multi-fiber blends. it will dye wool and many other natural fibers, but is kind of a waste of money and time since half the dye will wash out and the color will fade
more info: allpurpose dye

Kool Aid -- Other people have been known to use Kool Aid for dying their wool. If anyone has details of how to do this, please add to this thread!

For more information about dying and for Dying supplies WORLDWIDE, please check out Dyes and Dying.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Jane Doe

Kool Aid dying instructions

Post by Jane Doe » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:44 am

There's good instructions for dying here, with examples of dyed colours
http://www.wrappedrocks.com/koolaiddye.html

And a comprehensive Kool aid dye chart here
http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolai ... t-high.jpg
jungle dread on the facebooks

Sick Puppy

Re: Dying Wool

Post by Sick Puppy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:01 am

Pardon my failure at the comprehension of the english language >_>

But would you be able to dye roving wool using these methods? In particular, the Kool Aid method? I am looking to make some random swirly wool falls and I really prefer to work with roving - but haven't the faintest idea as to how to go about dying it!

xxx

Squidgy

Re: Dying Wool

Post by Squidgy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:38 am

Ovee the next few weeks I will post a picture tutorial of my method of dying wool using kool-aid!! :D
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Return to “Roving & Wool”