Striped Roving

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
LittlePinkFaery

Striped Roving

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:33 pm

another lifted from Google Cache images!

(copied into HH by Zapevaj)
Copied here from the hairboard, originally written by I Have No Candy:

"Hi there- here is a stripey roving tutorial i whipped up as how to do this is a question that often comes up. ne wayz on with the tutorial- (and have fun :b )

ok- firstly you will need:

-wool dreads
-raw wool of a different colour (in this tutorial i use fibre from a wool top, not hte slubby roving from 21st century yarns)
-hot soapy water

Step one: start with a dry thin wispy piece of raw wool about a third of the size of a normal pencil. pull the ends out so theyre wispy and taper out- this will help you keep a straight line at the beginning and end of the stripe. the length of the piece of fibre will depend on how long you want the stripe to be- usually 8 inches is more than enough for any size stripe.

Step two: Place one of the wispy ends around the dread in a diagonal as shown in the picture. this will help the stripe stay and not move up or down. do not wet the fibre before doing this- the wrapping process in my experience is easier and produces neater results when done dry.

Step three: Begining at the top of the diagonal, wrap the roving around the dread ensuring you do not leave any gaps. You can see the wispy bit from the diagonal poking out the bottom. Be careful not to wrap too tight as doing so will pull the fibre apart and make the dread look "pulled in" at the stripes. continue along the dread like you would with wrapped dreads or wool wraps untill the stripe reaches the length desired. if there is excess fibre, tear it and wrap it repeatedly in a straight line to finish the stripe

Step four: At this point you should have something like this

step five: Then holding the end of the stripe dip the wrap in hot soapy water (i use sunlights soap which works quite well, but any soap tends to work in my experience). ensure that wrap is good and wet like the second pic.

step six: By this point it is usually safe to take your finger off the end as the water makes it stick to the dread. take the dread between your hands and rub it together vigorously like you do when you felt roving dreads. use plenty of elbow grease!!! the stripe should feel slightly more solid than the rest of the dread

E-liz

Re: Striped Roving

Post by E-liz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:28 pm

oooh I like that idea. :mrgreen:

Sick Puppy

Post by Sick Puppy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:25 am

Ahhh! I love stripey roving wool dreads! I have used this technique for a while now and it never fails to look AWESOME! Wikkid tute as well!

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:28 am

Great tut, viewed it many a time but have not commented yet... will make sure to have this page open when i give it a go myself!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

i_have_no_candy

Post by i_have_no_candy » Sat May 16, 2009 4:09 am

Just to add: I've had a few people ask me why the stripes unravel after felting when wet sometimes, ive figured that if the water isn't hot enough the wrap may become loose shortly after felting.

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Tue May 26, 2009 12:04 pm

i_have_no_candy - so the water should be boiling then?
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Tue May 26, 2009 12:05 pm

Freshly boiled(obviously left to cool a little or mixed with cold water so you don't scald yourself) or as hot as your taps will go. The hotter the water the easier it is the felt.

Sugarstep

Post by Sugarstep » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:05 pm

fabulous idea! I can't wait to try this out! :D
To add sugar to every step one sparkly and interesting adornment at a time... http://sugarstep.etsy.com

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Even better than dealing with scalding water and/or having to hold an end down:
a few good stabs with a felting needle to hold things in place and ensure that there will be no unraveling!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Synful-Synthetics

Post by Synful-Synthetics » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:14 pm

ooooooh I can not wait to try this

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:48 pm

I luv this
and such a good job explaining it
Boo!

Flower In Furs

Post by Flower In Furs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:30 pm

that looks awesome! I am going to try this immediately! Great pic tutorial! :i2:
unicorn unity

Return to “Roving & Wool”