^_^ Curly Roving ^_^

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
MrsEss

^_^ Curly Roving ^_^

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Well, this is how I figured to do mine, not sure how Miasmas does hers but I know some people are dying to know how it's done, so here you go!!
(apologies to the toys & baby bouncer peeking in my pics!)

Firstly, you'll need some Perm rods (it helps to have enough for however many you want to curl, I, unfortunately don't >.<)

The little teeth on the perm rod is a great gripper for roving, you'll want to start at the end where the elastic is attached to the rod, The ends of the dread should be the first bit that goes round the rod.

You're gonna want to wrap the rest of the dread around the rod....I overlap the dread a little which helps secure the ends in place.

Continue wrapping til you get the end...these dreads are long, so a little has been left out at the middle of the dread. Secure the elastic (obv)

Once you've done them all, put them into a pillowcase (I use one off the sofa, as it has a zip) & into the washing machine with them!

***Everyone's washing machine is different, so you will have to experiment with the setting that are right for you***

6. Remove from the machine & leave to dry on the rods. Once they're dry you can unravel them, et, voila!!

Curly Roving
:D
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Candied_Angel

Re: ^_^ Curly Roving ^_^

Post by Candied_Angel » Wed May 26, 2010 8:29 pm

That's genius!
I'm off to try this now.
Striving for social imperfection since 1990.

miasmahair

Post by miasmahair » Wed May 26, 2010 10:07 pm

Exactly how I do it! :D

miss_mortisha

Post by miss_mortisha » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm

What setting do you pop it on? 30 degree wash??

Soooo excited about this :i2:
"never be afraid to reach for the sky, for if you fall, you'll land among the stars"
Mummy to Alyssia Teia Hope - 17th Jan 2010

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:25 pm

miss_mortisha wrote:What setting do you pop it on? 30 degree wash??

Soooo excited about this :i2:
um, you can do. I think I do em at 40, but I did some recently on 15. you just gotta experiment tbh.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Ooooh i recognise these lol... great lil tutorial sarah!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

fragglelox

Post by fragglelox » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:35 pm

this is so awesome!!!

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Is there any way of using this method that means the dreads are more uniform in their curl!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:17 pm

I don't think so. as soon as you start to handle them they start to drop. some pic examples:

I'll be honest, I tried to get them to look like synth dreads, but can't. as lovely as they are, they do drop & I don't htiink there's a way to get the all exactly the same.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:19 pm

My method of curling synth dreads is by using a long metal pole - I wonder if that will give a more unfirm look.. but tbh sarah your curlies are awesome!!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks hon. I dunno how you're gonna get a pole into the washing machine though :/ I tried a while ago by just pouring boling water over them & as soon as I took them off the pole they were practically straight :|

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Yeah I dont think my washing machine would like me for that!! :lol:

I would leave them on the radiator until they are completely dry, which is what I do with synths...
will let you know how my findings go within the next few weeks!! :P

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:44 pm

cool

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

cherrybombdreads

Post by cherrybombdreads » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:04 am

I had a pop at this!

Mine werent very successful, i left them on the rollers until they were dry and put them on the radiator :(

I think i need to put them on a higher wash temp than i normally do!
Thanks for posting it tho :D
xx
http://www.cherrybombdreads.webs.com High Quality Roving and Synthetic Dreads!

Daisydreads

Post by Daisydreads » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:21 pm

OMG!!! Genius!!! Thanks SO much!!! :i2:

Ponyo

Post by Ponyo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:06 am

I'm thinking steaming.

I took couple of courses in felting some years back. I did a scarf with folded sections on the surface, like pleated folds. I secured the folds on the felted scarf by hand stitching them into place. The whole work was put in a metallic, pressurised tube/pot for steaming. Steaming took several hours if not a day... I wasn't there to take the work out, so I'm not sure how long it took. After cooling down and drying the stitches were removed. I checked a hand craft dictionary, the process is called decatizing.

I'm not sure if the main purpose of decatizing is to secure a piece of wool/clothing/etc will not shrink more, or to make it stay in a certain shape, but it does both.

We were advised that the same process can be done at home, best way to do it is in a steam juicer (found a link: http://www-podunk.com/info.html). Everybody in Finland know them by a brand name Mehumaija (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kootutmurut/4860273947/). I didn't find any instructions of how long and so on, but I guess this steamer is much gentler than a washing machine. It won't felt anything, as the pieces stay still inside, but it will fix anything that reacts to heat, in it's place. I bet if would work for synths as well...

Another method at least for felted and other wool work is wrapping the stuff in a wet towel and putting it in the owen. Making sure the towel stays wet, you can keep them in there for as long as you like. No idea of the temperature...

The scarf I made some six seven years ago: my mom still uses it and it has stayed in shape, the folds are still sharp etc. She has even hand washed it a couple of times. In some areas you can still see the creases and holes left from the yarn I used for stitching it, as I pulled it too tight.

I've only ever made a small batch of roving dreads, but now I'm thinking of getting a Mehumaija for steaming curls on my synths.

nothingwhatsoever

Post by nothingwhatsoever » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:00 am

Darn, mine dropped like, instantly.

I used pieces of stiff rolled up fabric instead of perm rods 'cause i didn't have any... could that be why? they look great for about two seconds until i started pulling them apart. Heheh. I washed them on super hot and they felted very tightly but don't seem to hold a curl. Squidge, didja ever try the rod method? I was considering it mixed with some kind of friction... Hmmmmmmm.....
lain @ nothingwhat . net /visit my web shop and gallery.
nothingwhatsoever's . FB page /find me on crackbook!

nifty?lain/nothingwhat...

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:58 am

I like the steaming idea. I wonder if it'd work as well with a vegetable steamer?

Nothingwhatsoever - I'm not sure. It really is hit & miss, you do however have to be a lot more delicate with curly roving than synth, they will drop/droop a lot quicker.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

OxiTrash

Post by OxiTrash » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:45 pm

oh gosh I love theses...

My name is Oxi

and I'm a curl addict ..
*Oxi Trash*

OXI LOX dreads by Oxi