Tutorial: Steamer modification/ steam sealing (Pics)

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
FASD

Tutorial: Steamer modification/ steam sealing (Pics)

Post by FASD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:18 am

I love these standing style clothing steamers because they are powerful, produce a good amount of steam for a long period of time, and because I can have my hands free to move/twist/smooth the dreads over the steam.

When I first bought one of these steamers I would extend the rod as high as it would go, put the hose straight up and set the wide nozzle end in the U shaped hanger thingy. Sorry I don't know what to call it, but those who have these types of steamers know what I mean. This method allowed me to stand with my arms raised up and steam dreads without having to touch the steamer wand. It was great but it tired out my arms, and I really got sick of standing :shock:

So, I decided to do a little bit of modifying!

My last steamer died. It recently burned out after almost 3 years of abuse :(
I believe it's discontinued as I can't find it for sale in a store or online. I'm actually really angry that it's discontinued because it was PERFECT for this modification.

I went out and purchased a Conair garment steamer in the same style:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/18 ... v_XSG10001
This is the steamer I'm using in this tutorial.

I didn't have much of a selection locally, but I was in a pinch and didn't have time to order one. It's not completely ideal because the hose comes out horizontally. If you buy a steamer directly for this purpose I would suggest one with a hose that exits vertically or semi vertically, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/PS-200-Perfect-Co ... d_sim_k_47

Anyways, on to the good part:

I wanted to sit in a chair or on a couch to steam my dreads, and to keep my arms at a neutral level.
Measure your hose so you don't cut it too short, or leave it too long. I find that a bit of slack is ideal, and you can always shorten it later. If the hose is cut too short boiling water could jump out and spit at you! Cutting it at 1.5-2 feet would probably suit most people, but feel it out so you don't have regrets. I had to compensate for my hose's horizontal exit position, so mine is longer.

Utility scissors work good for cutting the rubber, which is often tough and hard when it's at room temperature.

Here is how I cut my hose:

The next bit is IMPORTANT, and it serves more than one purpose.
I use clean cheap washcloths cut up into quarters. I place them on top of my cut hose end and use an elastic to secure it around the tip.
The most important reason for this is for protection. With the hose cut so close to the base, and with the hose being just an open end, the steam comes out stronger. Water also has a tendency to spit out in small amounts depending on the steamer. The washcloth slows the steam slightly and protects you from having boiling water spit at you. Depending on the model and output of your steamer you may want 2 or 3 layers of washcloth covering the tip.
Secondarily the washcloth provides a smoothing function when steaming the dreads which will be addressed at the end of the tutorial.

Now you'll need some ribbon, a shoelace, a small rope etc. to tie and secure the hose to the hanger rod of the steamer. The hose must be tied tightly enough to the rod that downward pressure doesn't move it. It must also be secured at more than one point to prevent movement from side to side. I generally wrap a shoe lace around it numerous times covering a 4-5 inch area of the hose. Also, my pictures are slightly inaccurate...If your steamers hose protrudes horizontally be sure not to let the hose sag lower than it's exit point. This will cause water to collect in the hose and cause a burping effect which will interrupt your steam flow.

Great, now we're ready to steam some dreads!
Keep in mind these pics are staged because I didn't have anyone around to take pics tonight so I couldn't hold the dread with both hands like I would if I was actually steaming.

Sorry I didn't get a before pic of the backcombed dread. For SE's I start by putting a wooden pencil or chopstick through the top hole and steaming the loop first, being careful to keep my fingers away. For DE's I start in the center of the dread with my hands on either side, and do one side at a time. I use my left hand to twist and slowly pull the dread over the steam.

At the same time I use my right hand to anchor, smooth, and tuck away random hairs into the dread before it goes over the steam. During this time the dread is also pushed downward onto the washcloth where the frizzies are smoothed down.

Keep twisting and pulling until the dread is steamed below where you will cut the ends.
Here's how I hold the dread in my right hand:

Not the best steaming pics, but they give the general idea. This steaming method gives you a lot of control of how the finished dread will look. Cut your end off and you have a fresh dread:

As a sort of disclaimer, do this at your own risk and use common sense. I mean when modding the steamer and while sealing. Steam/boiling water will easily give you a 2nd degree burn, and I've experienced a couple from not paying attention. They hurt a lot!!

I'm a bit tired, so I may edit this tomorrow if I'm not making sense and just rambling.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or corrections let me know :)

-Ashley/MizzzzBarr/FASD

rivetlicker_

Re: Tutorial: Steamer modification/ steam sealing (Pics)

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:03 am

Hey, this is an interesting method!

There is that increased danger of burns but when isn't there in dread making? I'm using the kettle now and I burn myself every time, in the same spot.
It's a fantastic idea though! Hope the manufacturer doesn't hate you for modding it :P

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:42 pm

Hahaha, this is an interesting, if not slightly dangerous way of modifying you steamer to make dreads, but it does make it look so much easier whern moving the dread along...
Thanks for this, if I ever brought an upright steamer I could be tempted to do this, although you would lose any form of warrantee from the manufacturers!!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

FASD

Post by FASD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Yeah, it would definitely void the warranty, unless you had two hoses :D
I had two of the exact same steamers before this one. When the first one burnt out I saved the hose so I could switch between the cut one for dreads and the long, uncut one for making wigs or regular garment steaming etc.

Hmm...I may have made it seem really dangerous in the tut unintentionally. I have to say that I burn myself 99% less using this method. I used to use boiling water on the stove...Twist, dip and roll on a towel. That was scary and I burnt myself a lot! With this method the steam is so concentrated that you can work with your fingers inches from it and be fine. When I did manage to burn myself it was because I turned to talk to somebody and put my arm over the steam, right on top of the hose. OWWW

The main reason I did this was for comfort though. I usually backcomb 30-60 dreads and then seal them instead of doing a few at a time. I really got sick of standing at the stove, and after that standing and looking up to steam seal. Now I can backcomb and seal in one space and watch movies for hours, it's very enjoyable :)

Thank you for the comments :D

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:54 pm

Thank you for this. I use a similar steamer and in the past (prior to the model I have now) I also hd to raise my arms up & it was a bit uncomfortabe, I also had to stand on a stool which hurt my ankles after a while.
I've been wondering if I could cut the hose & thinking about the most effective way to go about it and what you've got here is pretty much exactly what I need.
I think I might give it a go!
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

Return to “Extended Dreadlocks”