Natural looking Synthetics by The Souk

Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
Evil_Locks

Natural looking Synthetics by The Souk

Post by Evil_Locks » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 am

I know MissAnthropik posted a tutorial by post-modernist trash about making natural dreads with a weft, but this tutorial is slightly different and produces different types of natural dreads - with no weft.

The difference between this method and post-modernist trash method is that these dreads are not tapered.

Anyway, im waffling. The tutorial is by The Souk, and I came accross it last week.

http://www.freewebs.com/lucyhappy/tutsy ... atural.htm

I hope she doesn't mind that I posted this here?!

Im attempting to make my own at the moment, so I can post pics if anyone is interested?
Computers are like air-conditioning - they work fine until you open windows.

Couture_Coiffure

Re: Natural looking Synthetics by The Souk

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:56 am

Did you wind up doing this? Would love to see some more examples.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

Evil_Locks

Post by Evil_Locks » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Couture_Coiffure wrote:Did you wind up doing this? Would love to see some more examples.
I haven't made any yet - just finished an order today, so I might make some at the end of the week if I have a minute! I'll be sure to post photo's when I do.
Computers are like air-conditioning - they work fine until you open windows.

Lucyhappy

Post by Lucyhappy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:57 pm

Hey guys :)

Of course I don't mind! I'm glad our site has been of use :D

I STILL wear the original set photographed in this tutorial from 2007! So they've stood the test of time great. They can be easily washed and re-sealed in less than an hour using >THIS METHOD<

Have fun! 8-)

Lu. Xx

Wild.Rabbit.Ren

Post by Wild.Rabbit.Ren » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Awesome very nice i shall be trying this :D

JolieLouise

Post by JolieLouise » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Going to make these for my boyfriend, he'll love them.

Baneli

Post by Baneli » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:50 am

They look amazing! been thinking of dreads for a long time but my work wont let me so thinking sythetic is the way to go..! considering making some as well so i can have a wide range and give me somthing to do lol and these look perfect. I dont think ill make them as long (Me being a bloke dont want to sit on them XD) and maybe a bit thicker.
Live & Let Dread!

Noodles!

Post by Noodles! » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:22 pm

I love the look of them, but isn't this very similar to the other natural looking dread tut, only with an extra step?
x Peace Love Unity Respect x

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:28 pm

Aside from the addition of weft the only real difference between this tut and the one post-modernist trash posted is the amount of backcombing. The more you backcomb the whipper the ends and the less the blunter the ends.

Lucyhappy

Post by Lucyhappy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Phoenix wrote:Aside from the addition of weft the only real difference between this tut and the one post-modernist trash posted is the amount of backcombing. The more you backcomb the whipper the ends and the less the blunter the ends.
I see where you're coming from but no, it wasn't the amount of backcombing that made them blunt; the ends are so blunt on this because that's the way I cut them. I do like them stubby :D
Noodles! wrote:I love the look of them, but isn't this very similar to the other natural looking dread tut, only with an extra step?
Blimey it's going back years this, errrr yeah but less steps I think. You can see the original showoff (minus pics) with explination here: http://www.doctoredlocks.com/hh_forum/a ... rrent+hair

:)

aria

Post by aria » Mon May 18, 2009 4:21 am

I'm trying to make a set of natural looking synthetic dreads and I'm glad I have read this tutorial before backcombing the complete set because the test one I made looks huge! :lol:

Xkaki_pantsX

Post by Xkaki_pantsX » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:01 am

im in the process of makeing these as we speek! ive just palm rolled all of them, and they are in the washer at this very moment ^.^ ill let everyone know how it goes! :D

Xkaki_pantsX

Post by Xkaki_pantsX » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:16 am

heres my results girls/guys!
all in all they turned out rather nice, and look moreso real in real life then in photo, but they are nice and i cant wait to install!

Xkaki_pantsX

Post by Xkaki_pantsX » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:04 am

Lucyhappy

Post by Lucyhappy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:41 am

Xkaki_pantsX wrote:[img][IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118 ... G_0192.jpg[/img][?IMG]

mwahaha finished and installed!
Awwww they look super! Really pretty. Nice job. x

LorLor

Post by LorLor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:56 pm

wow they look wicked xkaki_pantsx and Lucyhappy yours are really nice too, you have given me much inspiration and tips :) thanks guys just ordered my KK in orchid cant wait to get going!!!

sammu

Post by sammu » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:15 am

LorLor wrote:wow they look wicked xkaki_pantsx and Lucyhappy yours are really nice too, you have given me much inspiration and tips :) thanks guys just ordered my KK in orchid cant wait to get going!!!
Buyhair Light Orchid? Because that stuff is very much often a bitch to seal.

Tomo139

Post by Tomo139 » Mon May 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Im trying this method atm and im having issues with it. I skipped the washing machine part because I didn't think it woulde have made such a differeance. I've back combed and sealed the same dreads for over a month now and I cant not get them to the way I would like them. So I went back and seen the washing machine part and wanted to throw them in there and try. I have a problem though...I dont understand "pop them in the washing machine on a 60 degree cycle" i quoted that from the site. I looked at my washing machine and it does not have a setting that says 60 degree cycle. is this another name for the normal cycle? or the delicate cycle? I dont understand and now I feel stupid....

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Mon May 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Don't quote me but yeah I would use a gentle cycle and cold wash. I think the point was to not melt them into each other on a hot cycle. I don't know how much this will really help you if you are not getting the general look you want by backcombing and hand rolling in the first part. I myself when I make my naturals just back comb and hand roll and back comb and hand roll until I get the look I want then use boiling water, and hand roll them yet again while still hot, and repeat. Usually three at a time as thats as many as I can hand roll before they cool off.

Tomo139

Post by Tomo139 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Stilldawn wrote:Don't quote me but yeah I would use a gentle cycle and cold wash. I think the point was to not melt them into each other on a hot cycle. I don't know how much this will really help you if you are not getting the general look you want by backcombing and hand rolling in the first part. I myself when I make my naturals just back comb and hand roll and back comb and hand roll until I get the look I want then use boiling water, and hand roll them yet again while still hot, and repeat. Usually three at a time as thats as many as I can hand roll before they cool off.
ah ok thank you..im going to try to do that instead. thank you for not making fun of me either <.<;

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Mon May 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Ahh well I hope it helps and I would never poke fun, I had thought to ask the same question when I first saw the post as well. lol

Lucyhappy

Post by Lucyhappy » Thu May 13, 2010 10:08 am

Tomo139 wrote:I dont understand "pop them in the washing machine on a 60 degree cycle"
Sorry about that! That's me typing tutorials in my Northern English accent :?

I feel the wash cycle is an important step to knotting the dreads up well. Hotter water does this better (but not boiling until sealing stage).

'Pop' just means 'put' and '60 degrees' is the temperature you need them to be at to 'rat them up a bit'. This is rather a hot wash, well medium, certainly not cold and not boiling.

There will be a cycle on your washing machine at that temperature. Or a dial/button to change the temperature.

Remember if you're putting them in your machine to secure them in a pillow case or similar first, then you don't break your machine with a tangle of dreads.

Hope that helps.

Alternatively, as Stilldawn says, you can just do it without the washer, they take a bit more work but you can get them just how you want them that way.

ALSO: You may also find P.M.T's original tutorial better and easier to understand. You can find that here: http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... nist+trash

8-)
Xx

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Thu May 13, 2010 1:44 pm

I think the problem she was having understanding is the 60 degree thing as our washers over here do not have temperature settings like that, just cold, hot/cold or hot. I think really expensive ones that have digital controls you can specify.

Lucyhappy

Post by Lucyhappy » Fri May 14, 2010 8:13 am

Ahh I see! No worries. Cheers 8-)

MistressH

Post by MistressH » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:29 am

can I ask how long you palm roll for? because i have done some test naturals and i dont see a difference between the one i palm rolled and the one i didnt.

the palm rolled one looks different straight after rolling but after about 15 mins and definitely after the washing amchine, they just look the same...

I am happy with how mine are turning out minus the palm rolling tbh but do you think skipping this stage may effect their durability?

Return to “Extended Dreadlocks”